LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    That depends... If at least one of the NICs is UCR Auto Sensing (many newer NICs are), a crossover cable is not required. However, traditionally NIC to NIC connections (a peer-to-peer network) do indeed require a crossover cable.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    0360-6187-8889-2400
    Ok, thanks guys. I had a hunch that a crossover cable was needed, as it's need for the same type of connection for an original Xbox. It's not needed for an Xbox 360 with that connection for some reason though.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheZombie
    That depends... If at least one of the NICs is UCR Auto Sensing (many newer NICs are), a crossover cable is not required. However, traditionally NIC to NIC connections (a peer-to-peer network) do indeed require a crossover cable.
    What is UCR Auto Sensing? Do you have any links? I thought auto sensing was to do with working out speed and duplex settings automatically?

Member #
    Friends
    UCR = Universal Cable Recognition; the capability is specified in the 1000BASE-T specification, so straight through cables will work in almost all situations when using newer devices. They automatically apply an internal crossover, but only when necessary.

Specific vendors have their own terms to describe this functionality. Netgear calls it "Auto Uplink and Trade" and others call it MDI/MDI-X or UCR/AS.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for that. So as long as one NIC is a GB NIC and has the Universal Cable Recognition you can use a standard cable.

Real men Wii standing up. adrelith's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3426-0769-3707-2375
    Quote Originally Posted by gbesta
    To run between two NIC's you will need a crossover cable, otherwise the NIC's will show as not connected.
    That's the thing though. The connection isn't between to NICs.
    From what I understand it looks something like this:

Wii-----[NIC1]=PC=[NIC2]------Modem

The PC should be handling the transfer of data between the two NICs as there is no physical connection. Because of this there should be no need for a crossover cable. If it doesn't work with CAT cables then there's likely to be another problem. Anyways though, still better to get a router.
    Wii Stuff:
    1 Wii, Nintendo Wii Component Cables, 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchucks, Zelda TP, Wii Play, Wii Sports, Monster 4x4 WC

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by adrelith
    That's the thing though. The connection isn't between to NICs.
    From what I understand it looks something like this:

Wii-----[NIC1]=PC=[NIC2]------Modem

The PC should be handling the transfer of data between the two NICs as there is no physical connection. Because of this there should be no need for a crossover cable. If it doesn't work with CAT cables then there's likely to be another problem. Anyways though, still better to get a router.
    Surely the USB to Ethernet adapter attached to the wii is a network interface. I was assuming he would need a crossover cable to connect the NIC in his PC to the USB ethernet adapter, unless as previously pointed out the PC NIC has UCR.

My assumptions are based on the no connectivity shown on his PC OS. I agree completely on the getting a router as the easiest option.

Real men Wii standing up. adrelith's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3426-0769-3707-2375
    Quote Originally Posted by gbesta
    Surely the USB to Ethernet adapter attached to the wii is a network interface. I was assuming he would need a crossover cable to connect the NIC in his PC to the USB ethernet adapter, unless as previously pointed out the PC NIC has UCR.

My assumptions are based on the no connectivity shown on his PC OS. I agree completely on the getting a router as the easiest option.
    You're completely right :P I didn't think of it like that. But still, get a router :P
    Wii Stuff:
    1 Wii, Nintendo Wii Component Cables, 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchucks, Zelda TP, Wii Play, Wii Sports, Monster 4x4 WC

Ads