Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5251-2094-6508-9892

Wireless Adapter?

Okay the User Guide for my Wireless Router has this in the instructions and I'm sorta confused. "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PCís wireless adapter has its SSID set to

linksys (the Routerís default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PCís adapter settings to match the your usual network settings."

My questions is do all computers come with a wireless adapter or is this something extra I also have to buy? And which one do I install/setup on the PC first? The Adapter or the Router?

Last edited by MasterJedi2U; 02-10-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    They are talking about when you connect wirelessly. Usually you use a LAN cable to connect your PC directly to the router. Laptops and the Wii you would usually connect wirelessly.

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    That doesn't really answer my question but okay. I know I'm connecting my PC to the router wirelessly. I'm asking if there is something additional I need. (ie the Wireless Adapter). And if thats the case which should I install on the computer first? The Wireless Router or the Adapter?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi2U
    That doesn't really answer my question but okay. I know I'm connecting my PC to the router wirelessly. I'm asking if there is something additional I need. (ie the Wireless Adapter). And if thats the case which should I install on the computer first? The Wireless Router or the Adapter?
    If you want to connect your PC wirelessly then you need a wireless card for you PC. You can't install a wireless router onto your pc since it is just a piece of hardware that doesn't need a PC to operate.

Member #
    Friends
    1137-5638-7724-4772
    So you're trying to setup a wireless router on one computer and an adapter on another? Or the wireless router is already setup and you're trying to install an adapter on a new computer?
    You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm droppin Hamiltons.

GH3: 1676-1888-7277

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    I'm trying to create a wireless network for my house. I've pretty much figured out most of the issues. It turns out that the computer modem had a Wireless A+G PCI Card so I can connect the router to the computer. My only other issue is that it says in the instructions to, "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PCís wireless adapter has its SSID set to linksys (the Routerís default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PCís adapter settings to match your usual network settings."

Now how do I go about doing that if the Wireless Card is already inside the computer?

Member #
    Friends
    7241-3300-4122-8056
    well if any of that stuff dosent work out you can go buy a Wi-Fi USB Connector like i did
    Dont SHOW SPOILER!!
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    Whats the point of even saying that? I've already BOUGHT everything smart one. I'm not going to just go give up and not install everything. IF you have nothing good or productive to say that might help me then stay out of it...

Member #
    Friends
    7241-3300-4122-8056
    Whats the point of even saying that? I've already BOUGHT everything smart one. I'm not going to just go give up and not install everything. IF you have nothing good or productive to say that might help me then stay out of it...
    i was merely suggesting if things didnt turn out why not just take everything back, if possible, and buy the USB connector, well since yours so busy making an ass of yourself...consider myself stayed out
    Dont SHOW SPOILER!!
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    I'm trying to create a wireless network for my house. I've pretty much figured out most of the issues. It turns out that the computer modem had a Wireless A+G PCI Card so I can connect the router to the computer. My only other issue is that it says in the instructions to, "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PCís wireless adapter has its SSID set to linksys (the Routerís default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PCís adapter settings to match your usual network settings."

Now how do I go about doing that if the Wireless Card is already inside the computer?
    If the router is hooked up and the wireless adapter installed into your PC then all you should have to do is tell your PC to connect to the "linksys" network.

Ads