Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Grand Master of Funk sherlocktheholmes's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

"Ad Hoc" Network Connection

Has anyone tried (or heard of) an "ad hoc" network connection and knows whether or not it will work with the Wii?

Basically, you setup a compter-to-computer network in Windows where two wireless adapters communicate with one another and share an Internet connection without the use of a router. Last night, I actually got my Wii to recognize the "network" that I setup as an access point, but I get the error code 51330 each time I try to connect. I think the reason is the laptop that I'm using as the host computer is from my work and has intense security which I can't really disable. I'm really hoping someone else got this to work.

I know I'm being cheap by trying to avoid a router, but there's nothing wrong with saving some money. Plus I am trying to be a little bit different and also viewing this a "proof of concept" experiment.

Sorry for the long post. It's my first post, so go easy. Yes, I realize my username betrays me on this one...

WiiChat Member VirtualDreadlock's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    4640-5026-9655-8274
    do you have the laptop hooked to a wired modem? otherwise the network connection is being used by the wireless crossover.

Grand Master of Funk sherlocktheholmes's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    The laptop was hooked up to a wired DSL modem. I was then trying to communicate between the two wireless card adapters to share the wired connection. The communication was successful because the Wii located the access point, but I couldn't get a connection.

Member #
    Friends
    2361-7492-7880-5734
    I tried that for the longest time last November right after I got my Wii... but I couldn't get it to work. I eventually had to just buy a router, worked flawlessly. I was on Vista though, not sure if that makes a difference, never tried it on XP though, just gave up on the Ad-hoc idea. Good luck though.

Member #
    Friends
    I have a d-Link DWL-G122 usb wifi adapter, which has an ad-hoc connection mode. I've managed to make the wii recognize the access point, but I just can't connect to my computer. I'm about to get a router, cause I think this really won't work...

Member #
    Friends
    Last I heard/read, the Wii does NOT do ad-hoc networks.

Member #
    Friends
    2944-3812-8896-7914
    Just download Ralink Tool for your D-Link thing. It includes an AP software. It worked for me.
    MY WII CODE: 2944 3812 8896 7914

Member #
    Friends
    Where do I find it? is there a tutorial for it somewhere? I just couldn't find it...

Member #
    Friends
    2944-3812-8896-7914
    Type in google "your device model" "chipset" and see what chipset has your card!
    MY WII CODE: 2944 3812 8896 7914

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlocktheholmes
    Has anyone tried (or heard of) an "ad hoc" network connection and knows whether or not it will work with the Wii?

Basically, you setup a compter-to-computer network in Windows where two wireless adapters communicate with one another and share an Internet connection without the use of a router. Last night, I actually got my Wii to recognize the "network" that I setup as an access point, but I get the error code 51330 each time I try to connect. I think the reason is the laptop that I'm using as the host computer is from my work and has intense security which I can't really disable. I'm really hoping someone else got this to work.

I know I'm being cheap by trying to avoid a router, but there's nothing wrong with saving some money. Plus I am trying to be a little bit different and also viewing this a "proof of concept" experiment.

Sorry for the long post. It's my first post, so go easy. Yes, I realize my username betrays me on this one...
    I am trying something similar myself, my father has a dial-up connection (he dosen't want to pay for broadband), so I configured a computer to do ad hoc mode to turn the dial-up connection into wireless, I ran into a problem with the video driver, so I couldn't get to the settings of the wireless to get to it

Based on what you said, it probably is your security, I would say run the error number you have to see what the problem is, if it has anything to do with a firewall or something similar, then that would be your problem, do you have another computer to put in it's place?

[edit]I just looked ad the error code, see if you can change your wireless channel to either 1 or 11, i'm not sure if this is the same error code I got, but when trying to connect my Wii to my router, I had a similar problem, I changed my wireless channel to 1 and it worked just fine
    Last edited by gamechaser001; 04-22-2007 at 10:25 AM.

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Ads