LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

The Future of Wii Online?

I'm just wondering how people think Nintendo's online service will develop over time.

When you compare their current service to an established and successful service like Xbox Live (XBL) it's clear that there is so much more that can (and needs to) be done.

As online multiplayer is soon to be introduced surely a better method of managing 'friends' can't be far behind? Along with better communications (voice comms)? And being able to see what games your friends have been playing and checking their progress/scores?

And how about some kind of integrated online service like xbox.com? Maybe just for checking your Wii messages online and checking what your Ďfriendsí are up to. Or eventually I'd love to see something along the lines of what Microsoft and Turn 10 are introducing with the release of Forza 2 where there will be a dedicated web site directly linked to XBL offering leader boards, car auctions, tournaments etc.

I think theres so much that can be done Iím genuinely excited to see what Nintendo will come up with. Iím sure itís not a case of if theyíll improve their service, but when.

Any thoughts?

*Apologies for all the references to XBL. I have a 360 and so just used it as a comparison. It's also, in my opinion, the best online service available on any console at the moment. If Nintendo could offer even a quarter of this service (and for free) Iíd be very happy.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    4462-3961-4067-6996
    I hope that they don't just use this for games and rankings, it could be so much more and we all know it and want it so all nintendo has to do is deliver. And I'm sure they will.
    In bed by eight...home by eleven

Member #
    Friends
    When you say 'so much more', what do you mean? Anything specific?

I agree that there's an infinite amount that can be done and I hope Nintendo really make thier mark in this area in their own style.

Member #
    Friends
    Being able to have online golf tournaments would be the bomb! I'm hoping for more than just multiplayer, which doesn't really interest me much. Maybe online baseball seasons with the newest Wii baseball game. This would just be fantastic stuff. And bowling tournaments! It would be so hard to ever be bored again. Are these sorts of things available on Xbox Live? The fun with the Wiimote in these instances would just beat all.

Member #
    Friends
    XBL offers a really good online service but hasn't gone down the route of offering the facility to organise tournaments/leagues just yet (IIRC).

I do know that the upcoming release of Sensible Soccer is supposed to have a league creation facility though so maybe more games will have this option in the future. I guess the problem is that if you create a league/season with lots of player you have to make sure those players keep turning up to play their games or the league won’t work.

It’s hard to explain all the options that XBL offer it terms of interaction between 'friends' but its very good. Being able to chat to a friend (or up to 6 friends after the next update) while you’re playing a totally different game, or even while you’re watching a movie is excellent. Being able to use the Live Vision Camera (web cam) while playing some games also adds another dimension. Eventually (or maybe even now!) you will even be able to access your XBL profile via your mobile phone and see which of your friends are online, what they’re playing and send them messages!!

But, like I’ve mentioned before, XBL is established for 4 years now whereas Nintendo are just starting to create their online service. I’m sure they’ve got some great stuff in the pipeline though.

Member #
    Friends
    4462-3961-4067-6996
    When I say 'so much more' I mean that it has a potential like nothing else because of the gameplay of the wii it would make things more interesting and the wii world talk and all the new channels to come out using wiiconnect 24 will make what they plan to do even better, if that makes sense.
    In bed by eight...home by eleven

Member #
    Friends
    That makes sense and I totally agree gpoleweski. Nintendo offer something so unique that I'd like to see them carry that through to their online service.

I'm still not convinced of the importance of WiiConnect24 at the moment though. Auto updating could be cool but isn't essential. Aside from that I don't really see the point, but thats where I'd like Nintendo to come up with something awesome and surprise me!

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    I'm sure Nintendo has a very innovative online gaming network set up for us. If not they won't be #1 for very long. The console wars winner this generation hands down has to have some form of Xbox Live. Over 60% of the average gamers still don't play games online, and aren't interested. Polls listed on Gamefaqs.

Member #
    Friends
    as i own a xbox 360 if nintendo would bring out the same thing as xbox it would be awsome

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Nintendo online = Sheiße
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Ads