+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3892-2269-1758-4620

Wireless Access Point help!

Hey guys,

just upgraded pc and with the upgrades also went with vista and now i have no idea how to set up a wireless access point to let my wii use (i had one set up on xp).

Im using Vista home premium and my motherboard is an asus m2n32sli-deluxe board which came with a ariel i guess u would call it that i used on XP when i had my acess point set up. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and yes i've googled but havent found anything really that helpful. O yea, if you need any extra info just pm me or post a reply here and ill see what i can do!

Thanks once again!
    Last edited by G3n0cide; 06-07-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Currently Own: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Legend of Zelda: TP, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8
    Waiting on:Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB,

Feel free to add me on your wii! Details can be found below my avatar and remmember to msg me your details if you add me!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    5976-8685-8380-4889
    Are you using a WiFi Max USB attachment or are you using a Wireless router? If you are using the WiFi max then that is your problem because it does not support Windows Vista as of now. If you are using a Wireless router then you need to configure your Wii with the correct passwords and save it as one of your wireless connection. Check this link out and see if you find the answer to your problem.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys..._na/online.jsp
    Nintendo Support Help

-No External Links

Member #
    Friends
    Be more clear. What access point did you use before?

Member #
    Friends
    3892-2269-1758-4620
    well im on a 1.5 mb connection (its not wireless) and my gf's bro set it up so my connection also acted as a wireless access point for my wii... does that make more sense?

Currently Own: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Legend of Zelda: TP, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8

Feel free to add me on your wii! Details can be found below my avatar and remmember to msg me your details if you add me!

Member #
    Friends
    Using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector?
    Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend..._USB_Connector

If so then you need to find another way to connect it as this adapter doesnt officially support Vista.

Member #
    Friends
    3892-2269-1758-4620
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wii_Tard
    Are you using a WiFi Max USB attachment or are you using a Wireless router? If you are using the WiFi max then that is your problem because it does not support Windows Vista as of now. If you are using a Wireless router then you need to configure your Wii with the correct passwords and save it as one of your wireless connection. Check this link out and see if you find the answer to your problem.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys..._na/online.jsp
    Im not using the WiFi Max USB attachment nor a wireless router (atleast not to my knowledge - lol) im on a wired 1.5 mb connection and the reason my gf's bro was able to make a wireless access point is due to my motherboard - it has wireless capability (for the record in my original post i wrote the model of it). If there is anything else you need, obviously let me know and once again i'll try my best to give the info you need.

Member #
    Friends
    Ohhh, you were probably using Softap by PCtel. The funny thing is that the Nintendo software is actually a modified version of that.

Unfortunately the Softap software has been discontinued by PCtel. I doubt Asus offers an updated version for Vista.

Are you against getting a real wireless router? Otherwise we would have to find a 3rd party software that runs under vista that can create a virtual AP because the Wii doesnt support Ad-Hoc wireless connections I know of a few for linux but ?

Member #
    Friends
    3892-2269-1758-4620
    no no i dont believe we were using any kind of 3rd party software or anything, my motherboard came with a little ariel kind of thing and its wireless capable, we kinda 'tapped' into my 1.5 mb connection with ti and broadcast it with the arial for my wii to pick up - it worked, but that was when i had xp and i dunno how to do it on vista

Member #
    Friends
    From http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1404134,00.asp
    "Logic board maker ASUSTek Computer Inc. of Taipei, has also announced plans to design its own soft AP solution, which it will ship as part of its ASUS@home program."

Its a program you have to install. Doesnt exist for Vista that I know of. I went to the Asus site for your motherboard and there are new realtek drivers for vista that you could try and it may restore the SoftAP function but currently your motherboards wireless card acts only as a CLIENT and cannot be used by the Wii.

Do you mind booting a copy of Unbuntu on your machine?
    Last edited by ciper; 06-07-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    3892-2269-1758-4620
    wat the hell is unbuntu?

EDIT: http://www.asus.com.au/products.aspx...63&modelmenu=1

thats the link to my motherboard if that helps..
    Last edited by G3n0cide; 06-07-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Ads