LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Well yes thats good but i meant POST the actual number listed as the IP address that you have. If you are worried about security just post the first three octets.

Member #
    Friends
    Dude you don't need to post your IP nor should you. All you need to do is go to your local computer store explain to the salesman what you are using it for and the distance between where your wireless router will be and your Wii. This will determine what model you will need to have it work at it's full potential. Once you have it home unplug the ethernet cable that goes from your modem to your PC from the PC's LAN port into your new router's "In" port. Then plug an ethernet cable, one will come with your new router, into one of the open ports of the router and then into the LAN port of your PC. Once that is done you can configure your router. Be sure to reboot all of your devices, ie... router, PC, and modem before configuring. If you're unsure of what to do your router will come with a disk that will also explain what to do. Once you have it all set up be sure to upgrade the firmware of the router if it needs it.

Member #
    Friends
    Bestia you are misguided.
    You think the guy at a computer store knows what he is talking about considering he couldn't get a job as an IT guy? You probably also think cell phone salesmen can repair phones.
    Do you understand what NAT is and why its bad to do a double NAT?
    Can you figure out why I said to post the first three octets or even what an octet is?
    The power output of all wireless devices is restricted by the FCC and the Wii only supports 802.11g at best. What difference would it make to tell the salesperson that you use a Wii and the distance.

whatsagoodname: That guy only has one post so you can safely ignore him.
    Last edited by ciper; 06-26-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    I know I need an b/g only compatible router, max range 5-10 Metres at the most... I have no problem leaving only the router plugged it the modem...I can swap it with the computer at anypoint instead.

What is an octet anyway?
    Owner of a Wii! From January 12,07

I have the Wii Bundle...

I HAVE BEATEN LOZ_TP!!

Member #
    Friends
    Octet is a group of 8 bits. In numbers it would be anything from 0 to 255. For an IP address each octet or section is divided by a period.

So I'm asking you to tell me your IP address and if you are worried about security then just tell me the first two or three "sections" of the address instead of the entire thing.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks Ciper, in fact I'm a systems analyst and if you'd like to get into technical terms please by all means do so. whatsagoodname does not need to know anything about network address translation or octets or any other term you'd like to throw out there. Anyways whatsagoodname I see you live in Vancouver go down to your local Futureshop pick up the dlink WBR-2310 I bought it yesterday there for 89 bucks it works great. Ciper I'm not trying to be a dick but there is no point in confusing anyone with such a simple matter.

Member #
    Friends
    If you are a systems guy then you are forgetting something important. Most single port cable/DSL modems are still performing "router" functions. Simply connecting a router to the port like you suggested will result in double NAT which is an unsupported configuration for the Wii and every online PC game as well.

Most likely he will have to change his modem to bridged mode and handle the PPPoE on the router.

I asked him for his IP address because it was he easiest way to see if he was using one in the private address space of either 10.x.x.x , 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

If not we would then try to figure out which PPPoE software he was using and if it was configured to "autodial" when his browser is launched.

Last we would have him find his password since he most likely does not type it everytime and may have forgotten.

All of this has to happen before the router is even touched. I get the impression you have little experience with home users. Tell me where any of what I posted is wrong.
    Last edited by ciper; 06-26-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Holy, all I'm saying is he dosen't even have the router yet I live in the same geographical area we only have a couple cable/dsl service providers. I'm not saying you're wrong nor am I trying to offend you. Yes if in fact his modem is acting as a router he will need to change his modem to act as a bridge only but why not do the simple things first and cross that "bridge" when he comes to it.

Cheers

Member #
    Friends
    ...So what am I supposed to do?

-Where does it say I live in Vancouver? Cause I don't...
    Owner of a Wii! From January 12,07

I have the Wii Bundle...

I HAVE BEATEN LOZ_TP!!

Member #
    Friends
    Sorry don't know where I saw that. Apparently i'm seeing things anyhow, all I'm saying is this first things first go get a router the dlink one I got works awesome the only thing I had to do to it was upgrade the firmware which is a very simple thing to do as well. By all means go ahead and check all the things ciper is telling you to do it is all good info I just think it's a little premature given you don't even have a router yet which also means you don't have a problem yet.

Ads