+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any tech wiz

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Any tech wiz

hi, I'm trying to connect a wii to the internet but not got a clue,

It's broadband with a high speed modem cable running from the phone socket into the modem, from the modem is one cable with a usb connection going into the pc

The extras i have bought are a XBOX360 (straight through) ethernet cable fitted with RJ45 connectors that connects a console to a modem for online gaming.
    The other thing is a USB LAN adaptor.

I run the cable from the pc into the adapter that was plugged into the Wii, and got an eroor code (51420)
    I've also done many searches on this forum and on the net with luck.

HELP

@SoHugo17 FOLLOW ME? :) ZeLdA4LiFe's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    i wish i could help you, but i cant. why dont you buy a wi-fi usb wireless adaptor?

OHAI! I'm just an old dinosaur from 2006 seeing who's here

The name is. . . Hugo

Got a Nintendo 3DS? 2492-5132-0881

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by leafhound
    hi, I'm trying to connect a wii to the internet but not got a clue,

It's broadband with a high speed modem cable running from the phone socket into the modem, from the modem is one cable with a usb connection going into the pc

The extras i have bought are a XBOX360 (straight through) ethernet cable fitted with RJ45 connectors that connects a console to a modem for online gaming.
    The other thing is a USB LAN adaptor.

I run the cable from the pc into the adapter that was plugged into the Wii, and got an eroor code (51420)
    I've also done many searches on this forum and on the net with luck.

HELP
    Hmm, interesting one. I presume you've got it set up correctly. ie. Wii>USB Lan adaptor>USB cable>computer>ethernet cable>Modem>Phone socket.

After that, you need a computer with XP on it. Also, I think you'll need to make sure any firewalls aren't blocking the Wii (so you may have to determine if it's being blocked, either using the Windows firewall or something like MaCafee or Norton.)

If anything seems wrong, ask again (but try and provide as much detail as possible).

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    The pc is running with XP, the fella at the shop where i bought the cable said it would run straight into the pc from the adapter, Wii>LAN/USB>Cable>PC

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    The pc is running with XP, the fella at the shop where i bought the cable said it would run straight into the pc from the adapter, Wii>LAN/USB>Cable>PC
    Sounds good.

Has the computer come up with any error messages when trying to connect the Wii to PC? i.e. has it popped up saying anything about firewall rules or anything? Also, was there any PC software (i.e. DVD/CD-ROM) with the package?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7
    Sounds good.

Has the computer come up with any error messages when trying to connect the Wii to PC? i.e. has it popped up saying anything about firewall rules or anything? Also, was there any PC software (i.e. DVD/CD-ROM) with the package?
    No software came with adapter/cables, when i plug the cable in to the pc from the Wii nothing happens, no recognition of an external device! i do not know if it should though.

I'm now just reading something about DHCP on the net, looks confusing though.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=502Uv0LsmDY

This is good if you have a router.

If you don't then I think you're going to have to give me details of firewall software...

EDIT: Just been reading around on the internet, that to plug it into a PC, you'll need a "connector cable" that doesn't come with the pack. It should look like this:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/6-/Search...searchsource=0
    Here's some on play.com.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...rossover+cable
    And some on amazon.co.uk.
    Last edited by Squall7; 07-13-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Yes, i read about that crossover cable a week ago, and thought the it was the same cable as the fella in the shop sold us,
    lol
    I read your post this morning and it clicked ithat it might of been the wrong cable so went and bought a cross over cable from Argos this afternoon (belkin CAT5e UTP crossover cable) just tried connecting and got a Error code 52020.

I will go poke through the Wii manual for a bit,

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Yes, i read about that crossover cable a week ago, and thought the it was the same cable as the fella in the shop sold us,
    lol
    I read your post this morning and it clicked ithat it might of been the wrong cable so went and bought a cross over cable from Argos this afternoon (belkin CAT5e UTP crossover cable) just tried connecting and got a Error code 52020.

I will go poke through the Wii manual for a bit,
    Soz, been away for a few days.
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...23&action.y=17

Error Code: 52020

Power cycle your router and modem by unplugging them both from the wall. Wait a few minutes, and plug the modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize, then turn on the router. Try to connect the Wii console online and test for proper response.

If you are connecting directly to a modem, try a "Manual Setup" with the Wii console (how to), using your network's IP address, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS information. To access these settings:
    On your PC, click "Start" and then "Run."
    Type "CMD" into the field that appears to open a new window.
    Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press "Enter" to display a list of internet settings, including the settings listed above. Input these exactly as they're listed into the "Manual Setup" of the Wii console's internet connection.
    Sounds like you may need to configure the Wii to use the same IP address as your computer uses.

Member #
    Friends
    Sounds to me like you need to setup internet connection sharing, and of course it looks like you need a crossover cable to run directly to your NIC instead of regular Cat5.

Ads