LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan1205
    The Wii already has a DVD drive. Do you really think a current gen game can fit on a measly old CD? Really, all that's needed for the Wii to play DVDs is a software upgrade. So it sounds like it could be true.
    it does? i put in a DVD in my wii once and it didnt work... though the DVD was really sratched up and kinda dirty sooo.. im gonna go try again with a different dvd right now... BRB

Proud Leader of the

Do Hugz Not Drugz

Legion

To join the Do Hugz Not Drugz (DHND) legion and the pursute to stop drug use, all you need to do is write Do Hugz Not Drugz in bold and center it in your sig, who knows, you might even save somones life...
    Vice presidant of Do Hugz Not Drugz: LevesqueIsKing

Then BAM! Your wife leaves you for a dog and a squirrel chewed off your nut sack and made it into a... well... nut sack

...Wait American abstinence or French abstinence?

Member #
    Friends
    ok guys im back it didn't work, am i doing something wrong?

Proud Leader of the

Do Hugz Not Drugz

Legion

To join the Do Hugz Not Drugz (DHND) legion and the pursute to stop drug use, all you need to do is write Do Hugz Not Drugz in bold and center it in your sig, who knows, you might even save somones life...
    Vice presidant of Do Hugz Not Drugz: LevesqueIsKing

Then BAM! Your wife leaves you for a dog and a squirrel chewed off your nut sack and made it into a... well... nut sack

...Wait American abstinence or French abstinence?

Member #
    Friends
    8407-4746-3053-7091
    BapFap, read my post above...

My site: http://strandalo.us
    Last edited by eH9116; 07-22-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Twilight Princess lover! Twilight:)'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    I dont think so. But I mean, I already have a DVD player, and a ipod. And a mac, so I'm good.
    I am a girl. Yeah.. A girl. And I have a wii. And a DS. And a R4. Just dont be sexist becuase I play vidoe games, otherwise I will have to send you a virtual slap across that smirky face. And yes, Twilight princess, the Godfather, and Prince Of Persia Rival Swords ROCK. (For wii, of course)
    So does Trama Center, under the knife! Duh!

...yea... My god the Wii owns...'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by eH9116
    The Wii has a DVD-ROM in it, which means that the discs you are putting into it ARE DVD's. The Wii does not have the capability to play DVD movies because the drive is not capable of decrypting a DVD and there is no DVD player software on the Wii.

Nintendo stated that since most people have at least one DVD player in their house, the added cost of allowing the Wii to play DVD's was unnecessary and might drive people away from the resulting slightly elevated purchase price.

As for the modchip, there are MANY in existence already. These chips not only let you play movies, but you can put NES, SNES and any other kind of emulator on a disc/SD card and play any and all ROMS from these systems. On top of that, the Wii modchips allow you to play copied Wii AND Gamecube games which means you would never need to buy another. The problem with modchips from my experience is that:

1) You have to open the Wii, voiding the warranty.

2) You need to do some soldering (quick solder is easy) and you may ruin your Wii (in the case of PAL Wii's, you can completely brick your Wii if you put in Super Paper Mario NTSC version)

3) Even if it all works out fine, you then become obsessed (As I did with original Xbox) of downloading/copying games and getting as many as possible, that you never get around to playing or enjoying any of them. You may not think this is a problem, but it seriously ruins the experience. I have not modded my Wii and I do not plan to anytime soon. I still relish in the experience of saving up to buy a Wii game (or getting one as a present) and being excited all the way home (or upstairs from the Xmas tree) and putting in that $30-50 game and enjoying the hell out of it. Call me crazy, but once I modded my Xbox (which I still love because it does do EVERYTHING), I no longer play Xbox games, I only use it for all of the extra things I did to it.

On the plus side, by modding your Wii, it opens the doors to play Gamecube homebrew software and hopefully soon Wii homebrew. Wii homebrew has tremendous potential meaning that ANYONE could make a Wii game. For this reason I may in the future mod my Wii, but not to copy/download/illegally steal Wii games.

The only other possibilites are soft-modding the Wii with the Gamecube Action Replay/SD Gecko trick, but this only allows you to play emulators and roms (which means you should never have to buy from the virtual console) and could play any old game you wish. I tried this method, but you need a good amount of accessories to do it (gets fairly expensive).

I hate how good posts always seem to be ignored on Wiichat.com. Thanks for that. Interesting how, with infinite downloadable games, the interest in playing them shrinks immensely. I could see that happening.
    I'm sure you know that WiiWare is coming up, where small game developers can make their own Wii games, so I don't think it's worth modding the Wii.

Member #
    Friends
    8407-4746-3053-7091
    I agree sir! I am very excited about WiiWare. That is the only real use for Wii Points in my opinion. The only other side to the modchip as mentioned above is for Wii homebrew which would be free (if ever developed) and as more modchipping methods arise, it may become easier and less intrusive to mod the Wii which is the only reason I would consider it.

And yes, I have 98 Xbox games (about only 15 are purchased) and I don't play any other them. Even the purchased ones I hardly played because I could easily get newer games for free.

And thank you for the compliment on my post, but you know why it was ignored? Too long for most attention spans, so sad...

Last edited by eH9116; 07-22-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    3610-2610-6710-6545
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade22
    I was told it didn't...

pigs can fly - do u belive me

Member #
    Friends
    4116-4612-5453-3059
    Quote Originally Posted by RivalDestiny
    I just leave my Wii as it is...I already have DVD player and I have an Ipod, so i'm fine..
    I'm in the same boat as RivalDestiny to be honest

[Zero Motivation, The Guy With Cloud Envy]

Ads