LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    WiiChat Member Patrick793's Avatar
    Member #
    30502
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    39
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

    Wireless Router Help!

    Okay. Since the Nintendo Wifi USB Adaptor doesn't work with me. I'm wondering if I should get a wireless router. Would it work with my Wii even though I have a broadband connection that makes me sign in when I want to use the internet? Or would it just be a waste of money. If it would work , would you please tell me some good routers? Thanks!
    Last edited by Patrick793; 07-22-2007 at 12:14 PM.

    PM me with your Wii info if you want to add me!

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    honesty is my only excuse FR3344LL's Avatar
    Member #
    24200
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    WV8
    Posts
    253
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick793
    Okay. Since the Nintendo Wifi USB Adaptor doesn't work with me. I'm wondering if I should get a wireless router. Would it work with my Wii even though I have a broadband connection that makes me sign in when I want to use the internet? Or would it just be a waste of money. If it would work , would you please tell me some good routers? Thanks!
    letting us know who your ISP is would be beneficial...what type of broadband
    are you using? i'm assuming it's ADSL because of the sign in?

    buying a wireless router would be the best decision. once it's set-up, there's
    no need to keep "signing in"...the router does it for you and authenticates
    itself to your ISP just as your pc does.

    you also have the option of connecting many more wired and wireless devices
    to a router...it opens up many possibilities.

    as for which one? depends upon what type of broadband you're using.
    ADSL requires a "combined" ADSL Modem/Wireless Router, this connects
    to a regular RJ11 phone line via a "microfilter".

    DSL (Cable) requires a regular wireless router which is connected to the
    ISP fitted "co-axial" cable.
    Ste

  4. #3
    monkeyball king weedman uk's Avatar
    Member #
    30564
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    9
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3610-2610-6710-6545
    omg man u need a wireless router to use the wifi hub and if u not got a wireless router buy 1 or buy the usb ethernetadapter

  5. #4
    WiiChat Member Patrick793's Avatar
    Member #
    30502
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    39
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by FR3344LL
    letting us know who your ISP is would be beneficial...what type of broadband
    are you using? i'm assuming it's ADSL because of the sign in?

    buying a wireless router would be the best decision. once it's set-up, there's
    no need to keep "signing in"...the router does it for you and authenticates
    itself to your ISP just as your pc does.

    you also have the option of connecting many more wired and wireless devices
    to a router...it opens up many possibilities.

    as for which one? depends upon what type of broadband you're using.
    ADSL requires a "combined" ADSL Modem/Wireless Router, this connects
    to a regular RJ11 phone line via a "microfilter".

    DSL (Cable) requires a regular wireless router which is connected to the
    ISP fitted "co-axial" cable.
    My ISP is Vianet. I have the 5 MBPS DSL service shown here. So, wireless router is the way to go? Do you know any cheap but good wireless routers?

    PM me with your Wii info if you want to add me!

  6. #5
    WiiChat Member GhostKilla's Avatar
    Member #
    30307
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    20
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I wanted to know if u can get wifi in a room that doesn't have a computer. Or is there a router that can plug into my computer and get a signal all the way to my wii on the other side of the house. All I know is it is worth it cuz wii internet is awesome. Online games with wii controls.

  7. #6
    honesty is my only excuse FR3344LL's Avatar
    Member #
    24200
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    WV8
    Posts
    253
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick793
    My ISP is Vianet. I have the 5 MBPS DSL service shown here. So, wireless router is the way to go? Do you know any cheap but good wireless routers?
    pretty much anything by netgear / d-link / belkin should suffice.

    i'm sure if ciper or billscho are lurking they'll maybe point
    you in the right direction.
    Ste

  8. #7
    WiiChat Member Patrick793's Avatar
    Member #
    30502
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    39
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by FR3344LL
    pretty much anything by netgear / d-link / belkin should suffice.

    i'm sure if ciper or billscho are lurking they'll maybe point
    you in the right direction.
    Okay. Thanks for your help!

    EDIT:

    When I mean I have to sign in, I mean like this...


    Anyway. Would this wireless router be good?

    I was thinking hooking it up like Modem -> Wireless Router -> Wired to P.C and Wireless to Wii

    Would that work?
    Last edited by Patrick793; 07-22-2007 at 02:14 PM.

    PM me with your Wii info if you want to add me!

  9. #8
    Cool Dude kkamann's Avatar
    Member #
    30556
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Stick with the name brands, you should be able to find a decent one for $50-75 or cheaper. You may want to go ahead and get a router that can do the new "802.11n" wireless, which is the fastest. Any router will do 802.11g/b, but some new ones will also do 802.11n. The Wii only "speaks" with 802.11g, so an 802.11n router won't help the Wii connection go faster. But having a 802.11n router (it will also do g/b) will be nice whenever you get your next wi-fi device down the road, which will probably use 802.11n. BTW, all wireless routers also have have a few ethernet ports so you can connect via hardwire ethernet cable as well.

    I use the Apple Airport Extreme router (works with both Mac/PC). I connect wirelessly my iMac, Wii, and Nintendo DS. I also connect my Windows PC, Dish Network receiver, and other rooms in my house via ethernet cables (my house is wired with ethernet). The router is the central point to the Internet.

    To answer the question about having a PC in the room...no, you don't need to hook your Wii to a computer to get wireless. The Wii connects standalone and can be anywhere within 50 feet or so of the router, depending how many walls, etc. Somewhere in your house is the DSL modem that the phone/cable company provided. This is probably next to your computer, since you don't appear have a router/network. After you get the router, the DSL modem is connected directly to the router first (not the PC). Then you would hook the PC to the router (ethernet cable or wireless) as well as the Wii (wireless). So the connection would be... phone/cable jack in the wall==> wireless router==> PC/Wii/other devices.

  10. #9
    The_Loose_Cannon
    Guest The_Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    since im a little braindead when it comes to this stuff and it seems you got it under control for the most part. i can recomment a good wireless router if you chose to use one.

    IMO linksys is the way to go. i like the fact that it has the one touch security button on the front and it stays luminated so you know that youre WEP lock is enabled. its a great feature.

    if you dont want a linksys for whatever reason, go with a netgear.

    either way you cant go wrong

  11. #10
    WiiChat Member Patrick793's Avatar
    Member #
    30502
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    39
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Loose_Cannon
    since im a little braindead when it comes to this stuff and it seems you got it under control for the most part. i can recomment a good wireless router if you chose to use one.

    IMO linksys is the way to go. i like the fact that it has the one touch security button on the front and it stays luminated so you know that youre WEP lock is enabled. its a great feature.

    if you dont want a linksys for whatever reason, go with a netgear.

    either way you cant go wrong
    Okay. Thanks!

    PM me with your Wii info if you want to add me!

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

wii wireless routers

Click on a term to search for related topics.