LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

New Update Pwnes Modded Wii's With WiiKey's?

I was wondering if the new update pwned users with a modded Wii such as the Wii Key? Some one here who had their console modded or with a Wii Key, how was the update?

2. Ads

Ninja? I'm a Pirate! Yarr Secumfex's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6205-5687-4726-5914
    I have a Wiikey and updated a minute ago. It doesn't change anything groundbreaking. As far as I know, the only bad thing about the update is that your Wii won't read the WiiKey Setup Disc anymore.

edit: oh yeah and I heared that US Wiiowners hat to accept a disclaimer that said that Nintendo is going to be allowed to brick your modded Wii. Doesn't mean they will, though

feel free to add me to your Wii, but don't forget to PM me

how about some rep for good posts

The search function is your friend. Do not ignore your friends. They get cancer and die and it is your fault.

Member #
    Friends
    It disabled the WiiKey Setup Disc? I forgot what use is that for? Isn't that pretty bad?

Ninja? I'm a Pirate! Yarr Secumfex's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6205-5687-4726-5914
    Not really, the only useful thing you could do with it was to enable region override. So as long as you don't want to play imported games, you're fine.

feel free to add me to your Wii, but don't forget to PM me

how about some rep for good posts

The search function is your friend. Do not ignore your friends. They get cancer and die and it is your fault.

Member #
    Friends
    but what if you want to update the wiikeys firmware ? thats what the disk is for really, will it still be able to update ?

Member #
    Friends
    Could be bad for new wii owners that are not aware about the new firmware with it preinstalled that wish to install a wiikey and cannot set it up without the setup disc no?
    3715-8440-1932-2815

Member #
    Friends
    yes u can still update, some1 just released wiikey update that works with version 3.0, original update still works too (you just need to boot it in gcos mode)

Piracy is illegal backups shouldnt be :P

Yuu
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Secumfex
    edit: oh yeah and I heared that US Wiiowners hat to accept a disclaimer that said that Nintendo is going to be allowed to brick your modded Wii. Doesn't mean they will, though
    Now why would they add this LEGAL disclaimer? Oh, maybe to cover their asses when they decide to brick all wii's with modchips in them It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN they'll decide to eliminate modded wii's.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuu
    Now why would they add this LEGAL disclaimer? Oh, maybe to cover their asses when they decide to brick all wii's with modchips in them It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN they'll decide to eliminate modded wii's.
    Yup. They're following Microsoft's lead of blocking mod owners. They will most definitely use their power to stop people with modded units. Who knows if they'll actually permanently damage the system, or just cripple it while the mod is installed. They'll probably wait a while longer to throw the switch and activate the "kill" to let more people get the mods and "kill" more units.

You can definitely count on Nintendo's upcoming big hits to have and require the v3.0 firmware built into the game, like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy. Where you can't even play the game without v3.0. Since a lot of people are waiting for and will get SMG, they will also get v3.0 and will also get Nintendo's power to view/detect/cripple their system if they're using a mod to play the v3.0+ games.

Once they get their mod detection rolling (probably an interactive program in v3.0+ that they can activate at any time), it means there will only be a certain amount of released games up to a point that will be playable on a modded system (probably with v2.2 or lower). Until someone can crack/mod the firmware, Nintendo will put a stop to any pirating of their near future games. I wonder if 3rd party games will have/require the v3.0+ firmware embedded.

MSC CODE-506 909 527 692 PAUL7331's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Jesus! I hope not! Im on version 3.0e and so far (touch wood) have not had any problems!

Ads