Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pay and Play

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    My god not Again.. over and over and over I have to point this out

They have released no such information that they will charge a fee for future online service! That is nothing but speculation.

The pay to play has only been mentioned as a fee for "enhanced and extra content" to the already free online service.

Look for yourself at what Nintendo Reps have said not the people interpreting what they have said.

Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama announced a new Pay to Play program. This will be a new version of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (NWFC). Aoyama explained that NWFC will remain a free service, but forthcoming experiences will require users to pay a fee to enjoy. These services will fall under the new NWFC: Pay to Play program. Games that utilize the new service will feature a logo similar to the one used for NWFC but is orange and reads Pay to Play at the bottom.

He did say Nintendo is taking steps to ensure consumers don't mistakenly buy a Pay to Play game with the expectation that they will be able to access the entire game for no extra charge
    Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama announced a new expansion to Nintendo's Wi-Fi services called Wii Pay & Play. Aoyama explained that Nintendo will begin "collecting fees for some services [that] will allow us to adapt flexibly." In other words, by subsidizing additional, unnamed service and feature costs to consumers, Nintendo feels they can explore new concepts and channels.

He added that it was a Nintendo initiative to avoid misleading consumers into thinking they can buy games that can be played entirely free when they cannot (whether or not this implies an initiative to begin charging for multiplayer content was unclear). To aid in a clear cost presentation, the blue WFC logo will be joined with a similar red logo featuring the line "Pay & Play.
    So many people have taken what Nintendo has said and streched it to mean we are getting rid of Friends codes, or they are making a "Nintendo Live" service for online. Nothing of that sort has ever been said. All that has been said is they are charging for these additional services and we know that DLC/Voice Chat is comming so obviously they are probably counting some of this as Pay to Play and who knows what else.

When Rock Band comes to the Wii here in a few months it will be a Pay to Play game because you will have to pay to download extra songs, not to get online itself! This is also why they have said P2P is on a game to game basis, because obviously not all games will have features like DLC/Voice.

Its pretty obvious, but apparently Nintendo isn't taking any chances making the new "casual gamers" upset and misleading them. They are use to everything being free on the online games so far, so Nintendo is willing to do this "new logo" just so they don't get complaints about unexpected charges.

Funny thing is in the end they ended up freaking out more people than helping anything.

Just rember to look it up and read it for yourself people. Don't take anything said as true without atleast some proof to back it up.
    Last edited by wezeles; 02-27-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Ads