LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Log-In Page required to connect

Hi all,

I live in a college dorm where we have pretty decent wireless internet, but to access it you need to type in a username and password on a login screen that appears whenever you open a browser on your computer. Since the Wii tests the connection before allowing me to access a browser...I don't know what to do!

I'm sure there's still a way to get my Wii (and DS) connected with this type of setup, but I have no idea how...please help!

Thanks

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    You will not be able to use your Wii in that sort of environment. They have taken explicit steps to keep you from being able to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcana
    Hi all,

I live in a college dorm where we have pretty decent wireless internet, but to access it you need to type in a username and password on a login screen that appears whenever you open a browser on your computer. Since the Wii tests the connection before allowing me to access a browser...I don't know what to do!

I'm sure there's still a way to get my Wii (and DS) connected with this type of setup, but I have no idea how...please help!

Thanks
    You should talk to your university's ITS or Networks Systems (or the Residence Office). I know here they can make exceptions for devices such as XBox's and whatnot, so should be able to for your Wii. You'll just need to tell them what it is, and what the MAC address is.

Member #
    Friends
    Lol, well actually, I got it to work. I just grabbed my IP for the day from the computer and manually set the wii up for the same connection, then turned off my wireless card in the comp and was good to go.

I found out I can play friends battles but not with strangers, but other boards here seem to think this is a problem with Nintendo's servers, not with opening ports on people's routers, so we'll see. Thanks for the help, though!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiryllos
    You should talk to your university's ITS or Networks Systems (or the Residence Office). I know here they can make exceptions for devices such as XBox's and whatnot, so should be able to for your Wii. You'll just need to tell them what it is, and what the MAC address is.
    That's a good idea...I don't know how receptive my school would be to that idea, though. They suck like that ;P I'm moving soon or I would totally give that a try, though. Thanks!

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    You're lucky you got it to work, I spent a semester at K-State, and their IT department has this horrid scanner that you have to run on your computer to ensure that everything is exactly as *they* want it (right down to what antivirus you use and if you have all your updates installed, there was always a collective groan heard down the hall when new updates came out, since everyone just got booted off the network). Wii=can't run software=can't run CSA=can't connect to network.
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    I know, I felt so lucky when it was working...because I didn't expect it to at all. Of course, 2 days later, even using my new IP, my school's internet no longer works with the Wii. I have NO idea why... -_-

I was piggy backing on someone's wireless for a while, but the signal is so weak that I was bringing lag with me to all the matches I joined...more than one other person and it's just unplayable. Oh, well. I'm moving in the summer, so it's all good, I guess. Thanks everyone who replied!

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    If your school doesn't have a policy against broadcasting wireless, I would get a router, or broadcast from your laptop (you would have to plug into wired to do this)
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Ads