LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

New here... I am trying to connect my Wii to my cable modem and have the LAN adapter

but not the one by Nintendo. It didn't come with the CD and i bought it from Amazon. This may be the first time an other party on amazon has screwed me over. I am not sure if the wi fi LAN is the culprit quite yet though. I know it's not my ethernet cable. Two cables have been tested and work fine. I keep getting that infamous error code that starts with 54... and i have no idea what else it could be besides the LAN. Before you say get a wireless, it's easier, some of us can't just run out and spend money willy nilly on every little thing we need. I want to eventually get a wireless router , but for now can anyone help me with THIS issue at hand. Thank you in advance for any help! OH, also...I am running Windows Vista and i don't think I have the update. Could that be the problem??
    Last edited by Incogneato; 05-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    its best to stick with nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    6920-9646-7256-3871
    Vista has nothing to do with the LAN adaptor as that is part of the computer and not the Wii.

After you have connected the devices, make sure to set the Wii internet connection to the LAN (ethernet setting). You might want to also set the Wii with a static IP and use openDNS and set the MTU to Auto (zero) for better connection. If you need help with setting these up just let me know router you are using.

Note: If you have access to ethernet connection then use that instead of wireless.

Member #
    Friends
    im not sure i understand your set up but just to clarify lemme ask u if this is how u have it set up

the ethernet wire should b connected to the cable modem or a router. the other end of the ethernet wire should plug into the lan adapter. which is then connected into the wii it self.

also do what jlspec said and check ur wii settings

yes ethernet is better then wireless.

nintendo discontinued their lan adapter so they are harder to come by so most available are not nintendo made.

no cd needed and u have vista is not important and updates are not needed either

if the ethernet wire that connects from router or cable modem to the computer has inernet useing the same ethernet wire into the lan adapter to the wii doesnt work it may very well be a defective lan adapter

not sure what service u have but if u dont have a router do u need to enter a user name and password to log onto the internet?

Member #
    Friends
    Can anyone help? Do you have to run an ethernet cable under my floor from the garage to the upstairs to hook my wii up to the internet upstairs?

Member #
    Friends
    6920-9646-7256-3871
    The best way is to set up a ethernet network within your house, but from you post Im guessing you don't no where to start. Also it will cost more, so might as well forget it. Your best bet would just to go wireless.

Member #
    Friends
    What was the point of that response?

Member #
    Friends
    6920-9646-7256-3871
    What I was saying is that instead of just running a cord to your room, might as well setup a complete network for your house, but since your asking for help in doing that I assume your not too good at wiring so might as well go wireless for an eaiser setup.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by theatre View Post
    Can anyone help? Do you have to run an ethernet cable under my floor from the garage to the upstairs to hook my wii up to the internet upstairs?
    if u want a wired connection yes!

if u want to have a wireless solution u may consider getting a product like as a range extender which will amplify a router if its 2 far.

Ads