LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Hi,
    thanks for your help. How exactly would I do that? I am pretty clueless about routers and stuff. I own a Belkin F5D7231-4 router. Basically my set up is this

ethernet cable comes out of the wall - into my router - computer picks up the router's signal. The proxy is set by the university. I had to put in an automatic configuration script into my LAN settings on Internet explorer to make it work.

All help is much appreciated :-)

Member #
    Friends
    6557-4845-7665-3160
    How exactly would a WiFi USB adapter help??? Unless he connects to an AP that's not on the university network, he still has to enter the proxy info.

I would turn this question to Nintendo's support. I bet we see this in a update later.

Nice answer sven, but don't think it's possible in this case.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 12-10-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    You have to use a router software in windows (you can do this alot easier with linux..). Sygate used to have an exeptional tool for this, 5-6 years ago... The problem is that you have to make the proxy transparrent, which won't happen if you "just" add another router, you have to transport the connection outside the university, like with a VPN. You can ask a friend if he could install hamachi (which is a ZeroConfig VPN (no config needed)...) and then use windows internal internet connection sharing, however, i'm not sure hamachi works with proxies... but you can check it out (http://www.hamachi.cc/). Or you could use OpenVPN which is alot harder...

The mail concept of this solution is to use someone elses internet (one that doesn't need a proxy..) and let you'r Wii use that to get online. The big picture is like this

Wii <---> Wireless device <---> Windowsbox <---> VPN <---> Internet

Meaning, Wii connects to the wireless, let the windowsbox act as it's router (with something like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)) which will connect a VPN to you'r Wii, A friend that has a direct connection then joins the VPN and act as you'r gate out to the wild

Wii -> Windows -> VPN (-> Internet ->) VPN -> Friends internet

... This sounds harder then it is but if you never done it it might be frustrating at first...

I don't use hamachi anymore so I can't help you set it up, but there are loads of info on google...

I'm not sure that I've sheaded some light or not, but I hope that you got something out of it, may it be that it's easier to get the WiFi thingy from nintendo, or trying hamachi,,, let me know if you succeed...

Member #
    Friends
    I already use Cisco VPN software to let me get around the university's blocking of programs such as limewire, soulseek and online poker lol. So what you're suggesting is that I somehow make the wii use my computer's internet connection with the VPN? I didn't quite follow the idea, but thanks for attempting to help someone who is clueless in these aspects. How exactly am I going to make the Wii share my computer's internet connection?

Member #
    Friends
    You have to do nothing with you'r Wii, except select another router (Dissable DHCP, or config you DHCP server to give the Wii another router info). The rest is for the windows box.. You might need to add another NIC, or you can use some sort of virtual NIC (like a Linux NIC Alias)...

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansmith
    I already use Cisco VPN software to let me get around the university's blocking of programs such as limewire, soulseek and online poker lol. So what you're suggesting is that I somehow make the wii use my computer's internet connection with the VPN? I didn't quite follow the idea, but thanks for attempting to help someone who is clueless in these aspects. How exactly am I going to make the Wii share my computer's internet connection?
    There are proxy server settings on the wii btw.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    If you buy a WiFi USB adapter you should be able to share your VPN connection on your PC. You might have to add routing info on your PC if it doesn't work straight away. ROUTE ADD -p in msdos will enable you to set up a persistant route.

Member #
    Friends
    Buy a wireless router online using a prepaid credit card. Go to your local bank and ask, there shouldn't be more than a $5 USD fee.

Wii Online Code: 6643 1726 3031 4525

Member #
    Friends
    where?!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    There are proxy server settings on the wii btw.
    where?

Ads