LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    The codes suck but at least you can get into a random match relatively quickly with Pokemon. It isn't everything I was hoping for but it is about what I expected, and it is enough for online play to be an enjoyable addition to the games.

*Passes the pipe*

Wii Online Code: 6643 1726 3031 4525

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    Ok for the 6th time.

friend codes are just used to identify a specific machine. for most if not all games you won't need to use friend codes unless you want to connect to a specific person. Kind of like needing a persons IP address.

And to the Petition speds. Youmight want to wait and see how the games actually do it before whining. Because the multiplayer online connecting is going to be up to the game developer, not nintendo.
    Agreed...

The only thing I didn't like about Mario Kart Online for DS was if you are playing with a friend but also want to play with more people online, then you get that percentage chance of finding your friend to play with others. That I agree about but for everything else, including the petition, stop the whining until more details come out.

Member #
    Friends
    please check out my site and join if you wish at www.nintendowiiclubgt.moonfruit.com

Member #
    Friends
    4828-9835-7825-5211
    Its free. Bottom line. If you don't get to choose your exact game (which you very well may be able to do) who cares? Play with your friends, or play with random people. Why is this middle ground of seeing what random people you play with so important?
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Wii Sports, Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty 3, FarCry, DBZ BT2, LOZ: TP, Wii Play, SSX Blur, Rampage,
    Sonic Secret Rings, Blazing Angels, Godfather Blackhand

VC: Zelda, Golden Axe, Super Mario 64, Super Castlevania IV, Solomon's Key, Gunstar Heros, Adventure Island, Contra III, R-Type III, Mario Kart 64, TMNT

4 Remote, 4 chucks, 4 classics. Eat your heart out.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    2007 Q2. We'll get some kind of real online gaming channel from Nintendo then. So sit back and wait. They promise more news next month.

Member #
    Friends
    i just think it great nintendo lets you chose who you want to play with. its a lot more fun to play with friends than with people you dont know !!

Member #
    Friends
    4727-8101-2072-3014
    Ok for the 6th time.

friend codes are just used to identify a specific machine. for most if not all games you won't need to use friend codes unless you want to connect to a specific person. Kind of like needing a persons IP address.
    Wheres your source for that information?

Characters wanted for SSBB : King K.Rool, Lucario, Bubsy, Captain Olimar and Waluigi
    Clippers -- Buccaneers -- Ducks -- Devil Rays

Member #
    Friends
    3958-2417-7294-1122
    That may or may not be true (specific details about in-game connectivity are scant), but I disagree with you on a more fundamental level. You (and some others in this thread) seem to have a very narrow view that online connectivity is merely for hooking up to play games. This may be its use on the most part, but there is a lot more potential for a connected entertainment system. In my 'petition' post, I didn't even mention anything about games - I was criticizing the Wii-code system purely based on the *existing* Mii Channel functionality (sharing Mii's with others, etc).

By offering such a channel upfront, Nintendo is alluding to future functionality of a similar nature. But if they are relying on the current Wii code implementation to carry that, they're off their rockers. For software based on social-networking concepts, a peer discovery component, or user directory is pretty essential. Simple example: If this forum required users to exchange and register 'codes' on both ends before you could read anyone else's postings, would it work at all?

Secondly, even if it was just for games, requiring game-specific implementations for online play is just poor, outdated systems design. A common system/interface across games is more robust.

And to the Petition speds. Youmight want to wait and see how the games actually do it before whining. Because the multiplayer online connecting is going to be up to the game developer, not nintendo.
    I wasn't serious about it being a 'petition', otherwise I would have created some online thing that people can go to. It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in. And again, leaving the online connectivity up to the developer is just a poor implementation decision. Each game is going to have its own little way to hook people up, you'll have to learn new methods over again, just to do essentially the same thing. All of this can be avoided by a proper cross-software system. The only beacon of hope is that they haven't released any games with online functionality yet, so maybe we will have that after all - but I'm not crossing my fingers given Nintendo's obvious lack of foresight in designing the Wii code system.

Member #
    Friends
    3958-2417-7294-1122
    Quote Originally Posted by armageddon
    i just think it great nintendo lets you chose who you want to play with. its a lot more fun to play with friends than with people you dont know !!
    That doesn't have to come at the cost the isolating, user-error prone shambles that is the Wii code system. Anyway, we don't really know how games will be implementing their online play at the moment. Needless to say, though, it is entirely possible to have a system that is easier to use than the current Wii codes, and still choose to play with just friends. This isn't rocket science.

Also, what are you going to do if your schedule has been strange lately, for example, and you only have time for some multiplayer action when all your friends are asleep? You just going to sit there by yourself at 4a.m. playing single-player Wii Mario Kart?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by shady78
    I wasn't serious about it being a 'petition', otherwise I would have created some online thing that people can go to. It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

This petition calls for Nintendo of America, Inc. to provide a more usable and
    practical link-up system between Wii software, such as the Mii Channel.
    This petition calls for Nintendo of America, Inc. to provide a solution to the
    issue above, and provides ideas herein for a possible solution that covers the
    arguments discussed.
    The petition calls for a discovery service for the Wii that will allow users to
    find and connect with each other directly through the Wii console. This may be
    implemented either via peer-to-peer software, or a central database, either of
    which could be delivered to each Wii via a system update.
    and lastly:

By not addressing and resolving the issues expressed by this petition, Nintendo
    of America, Inc. is presenting the message that it is not committed to its
    expressed goal of servicing a wide and varied customer base with its Wii
    console.
    looks like a petition to me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ads