Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

re

Quote Originally Posted by acphydro
    Please provide proof that blu-ray isnt going anywhere. Thats right---you can't because there is none. It doesn't matter how many SOLD, the Wii had more stock and SOLD out, yet anyone around any major US city can just about go shopping and come home with a PS3. I'm not going to buy a $800 blu-ray player when I can buy a PS3 that has the same capabilities and plays games too. It's possible that many people think that BR is here to stay so maybe they just bought the PS3 as a BR player? The Wii doesn't tout movie playback capabilities yet still outsold it and are a rare find anywhere around here. The PS3 is in stock just about everywhere. I can drive a half mile down the road and come back with a PS3 if I wanted one badly enough at the moment. That obviously shows that its demand is much lower than the Wii. It is well known that microsoft had a major shortage during its launch, but THEY STILL ALL SOLD OUT. Sony can't claim their PS3 sold out because it didn't. Number of units available doesnt even matter let alone sold by themselves. Supply and Demand is what matters. Sony supplies PS3s, demand is low. Nintendo supplied major Wii systems and demand is extremely high. Microsoft supplied a low amount of 360s and demand was high and still is.

I replied here to simply state that I don't "hate" the PS3, its just over-rated and over-hyped. That doesn't mean I don't want one or won't in the future. My goal is fun and gameplay and the PS3 just doesnt provide. They seem to tout it more as a multimedia machine then a game machine second.
    Why wouldnt the wii be sold out? Its $250 and offers something totally different than anything else on the market. My point is that everyone says the ps3 are sitting on shelves, and there is no demand. If there wasnt a demand, then why have they almost doubled 360 sales? They havent even touched europe and australia. Microsoft did a global launch and still didnt sell as many. The 360 demand is not high anymore. I can walk into any store that carries them and buy one without a problem. Why do you think there are ads at every single store with microsoft giving incentives? Like a free game, controller, or $100 off. They know sony is selling alot of units and will continue to do so. If microsoft wasnt worried they wouldnt be doing all of those things.

My prediction for the wii. It will sell a ton of units. If sony ever catches up it will probably be at least 2 years down the road. However sony isnt in a direct competition with the wii, because they appeal mostly to two different crowds. Sony is going after microsoft, and I believe they will sell more units in the future. Probably not for at least 1-2 years at the least. Imo it doesnt matter who sells more units. All 3 systems are selling alot, and thats all developers will look at to decide if they will make a game for that system.

Phillips just dropped the price of their blu ray players to $600. They are finally starting to come down. They will need to be alot lower though until consumers start to pick them up. I cant prove that blu ray will win the format war. Nobody knows. I base my opinions from facts. I could very well be wrong, but when there are alot more blu ray players than hd dvd players in peoples homes, who do you think will win?

Lastly why do you care that sony put a blu ray player in the ps3? They had to do a new format that will hold more data. They could go the hd dvd route, or maximize their profits and use the format that they developed. They made the right moves with the ps3, and I think they will be very profitable from it.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    The PS3 didn't need to have blue ray for the games, that's why it sucks. It should have been 400 and not 600 that way. Microsoft has even stated that they will not be releasing games on the HD-DVD drive. Why not? Because games are just starting to be released that actually fill a standard dual layer DVD and games are no where near close to filling a disc with blueray storage capacity. The blueray does not increase the performance of the system for games and that is why Microsoft didn't include an HD-DVD drive with the system, instead they gave their customers the option to get it later.
    You can steal my soul, but you can never take my lack of enthusiasm.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii&Ps3
    Why wouldnt the wii be sold out? Its $250 and offers something totally different than anything else on the market.
    You could buy a Chevy Aveo for cheap and it's different than other cars on the market...so why aren't Aveos dominating in sales?

Low cost and unique play are not the driving force behind Wii's success...it's the fun factor. I, like many gamers with jobs, could afford any of the three newest systems. I chose Wii because it was fun to play...something I hadn't felt about a console since SNES.

PS3 has it's strengths, there's nothing wrong with the system. I just think that if a person wants to plunk down $600 for a "gaming computer", you're better off spending a bit more and building your own pc with better specs.
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called "wicked" guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas, and he didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget. But the point is... well, I forget that too. Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"

Member #
    Friends
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Foot
    There are simply not enough buttons for GTA Wii. Rockstar would have to get creative with the control scheme this time around. Hopefully they do not make it cell shaded and cut out the blood.
    Theres been blood and stuff in games already, so i doubt they will remove anything. And as for buttons.. i dont see whats wrong? there are plenty.(AND some will be replaced with motion sensor im sure, so there could be a few buttons that do nothing for all we know. The last thing id worry about is if there are enough buttons, lol.)

And about the Wii being sold out for being so cheap, my reply is: Ima go buy a big cardboard box to carry my stuff around to work with me, instead of a nice suitcase. Becuase the cardboard box is cheaper, so why wouldnt i want to buy it. [/sarcasm]

Just cause its cheap, doesnt mean people want it. The Wii is liked for other reasons (of course the cost is nice tho)
    Last edited by PtonJalken; 01-10-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    Wii on 25/12/06 - Ps3 on 10/07/07

PSWii Owner
    Brawl: 1976-9887-4438 Bowser Player

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    They can OMG put FF13 on two or three DVDs! They did it with MGS Online, Xeno Saga 2, and many other PS2 games, and the price was still cheaper than a $60 game. FF7, one of the greatest Sony games ever made was a Multi CD based game. The whole point of Blue Ray, and Sony said this, "It's cheaper to produce."

I own multiple Sony products, and I'm very pissed at the outright greed they are displaying on the PS3.

Member #
    Friends
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Arent bluray games currently (could decrease or increase on sales/etc who knows) $70-80+ ?

I dont know much about it, cause i dont really care bout blurays so ive never looked em up lol. If Sony wanted to be really 'cool' in there terms tho, they could get the new type of CD/DVD that holds over 1Million songs (not sure of size) but the player would boost the price up... several thousand... thousands :P (they've seriously got one of those tho, but of course not in production due to HUGE costs)

PSWii Owner

Member #
    Friends
    5457-8878-2124-2087
    I have to admit, Sony did do a pretty good job with the computer graphics. Trust me, I've seen it- so clear... But I, as a gamer, care wa-a-ay more about gameplay than graphics. So that's why the PS3 doesn't interest me

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch
    smart people like me who know a blueray player alone runs for about $900, we know that the ps3 is definatley worth it
    But that all hinges on whether or not blu-ray wins the format war. If it does, PS3 sales will skyrocket, regardless of price. If it loses, PS3 will become worthless, since it pretty much centers around Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray loses, no new games will come out, because Sony is too arrogant to admit defeat and accept change.

Member #
    Friends
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruman
    But that all hinges on whether or not blu-ray wins the format war. If it does, PS3 sales will skyrocket, regardless of price. If it loses, PS3 will become worthless, since it pretty much centers around Blu-Ray. If Blu-Ray loses, no new games will come out, because Sony is too arrogant to admit defeat and accept change.
    and as it looks, Blu-ray is doing pretty crappy.

PSWii Owner

Member #
    Friends
    7791-8243-5459-4780
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii&Ps3
    Why wouldnt the wii be sold out? Its $250 and offers something totally different than anything else on the market. My point is that everyone says the ps3 are sitting on shelves, and there is no demand. If there wasnt a demand, then why have they almost doubled 360 sales? They havent even touched europe and australia. Microsoft did a global launch and still didnt sell as many. The 360 demand is not high anymore. I can walk into any store that carries them and buy one without a problem. Why do you think there are ads at every single store with microsoft giving incentives? Like a free game, controller, or $100 off. They know sony is selling alot of units and will continue to do so. If microsoft wasnt worried they wouldnt be doing all of those things.

My prediction for the wii. It will sell a ton of units. If sony ever catches up it will probably be at least 2 years down the road. However sony isnt in a direct competition with the wii, because they appeal mostly to two different crowds. Sony is going after microsoft, and I believe they will sell more units in the future. Probably not for at least 1-2 years at the least. Imo it doesnt matter who sells more units. All 3 systems are selling alot, and thats all developers will look at to decide if they will make a game for that system.

Phillips just dropped the price of their blu ray players to $600. They are finally starting to come down. They will need to be alot lower though until consumers start to pick them up. I cant prove that blu ray will win the format war. Nobody knows. I base my opinions from facts. I could very well be wrong, but when there are alot more blu ray players than hd dvd players in peoples homes, who do you think will win?

Lastly why do you care that sony put a blu ray player in the ps3? They had to do a new format that will hold more data. They could go the hd dvd route, or maximize their profits and use the format that they developed. They made the right moves with the ps3, and I think they will be very profitable from it.
    Sorry if it seems like an attack on my part first of all

I never stated that there was no demand just that the demand simply just isn't as high for the PS3 as the Wii. Of course the xbox360 isnt selling well at the moment, for one its already sold a hell of a lot of units. For two we have two brand new systems that are of course going to take over the fame for now. I had a 360 I didn't like it, I got rid of it. Compared to the Wii the PS3 is in extremely low demand.

However, Sony is in direct competition with both MS and Nintendo for one simple reason. This is the next generation of gaming all three of them are of course competing for the best market share for their products. It would be stupid of them to do otherwise. Sony's PSX and PS2 were well recieved by the general consumer and being so most of the people that even bought a PS3 most likely owned at least a PSX or PS2 so far. People are buying it to play games on not as a media center machine, if they were they'd just get a decent PC for $600+tax+sh that would have much more space, many more features, and upgradeable. Thats where sony gets me---they try to con the consumer into thinking they are getting more than they actually are with the PS3 when truth be told no one knows if its going to be HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I love the idea of Blu-Ray for data storage for PC reasons other than that HD-DVD appears to be the superior format given the technical specs. Doesn't mean I'm right or that HD-DVD will "win" though.

PS Sony could have also used a DVDDL drive doubling its storage as a DVD OR they could have added another layer to the DL discs for their game system---they didnt because they want to force consumers to pick up Blu-Ray. They could have then sold the PS3 upto $200-$300 cheaper than they already are selling it for.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Ads