Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    \/\/ii'd Out For Life dedpoet777's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0792-2476-6769-9631

Ps3 To Cost $835 Dollars In Britain? What?

You read the headline right folks. here is the article:

By Jack Schofield / Gaming 10:13pm

Under the circumstances, they should rename it "PayStation 3".

Why? Sony hasn't adjusted the planned UK price of the PlayStation 3 so it's going to be amazingly expensive in dollar terms: 425 is currently $834.89, which is $235 more than an American would have to pay.

This seems strange because Sony would not have to take much of a hit to get the price below a psychological barrier to 399.99. And even then it might be vulnerable to dealers who could offer buyers both an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii for less than that.

Frankly, I think Sony will cut the UK price to 399.99 very quickly.....

It's also strange because sales of the PlayStation 3 appear to be struggling. Sony said it shipped a million units in the US, but that left the majority of shops with stocks. According to GamesIndustry.biz, NPD Group research only reported 490,700 PS3s sold in December, and 687,000 in all.

That would have left an amazing 313,000 unwanted PS3s washing about somewhere. Machines that could have cost Sony around $300 million to make.

The Japanese market also is not being very console-friendly at the moment. According to Digital Trends, research firm Media Create reckons that "last week was the worst sales week for Sony's PlayStation 3 since its launch in Japan, with 25,531 units sold during the week ending January 14".

Again, you have to wonder how many unsold machines are sloshing about, prompting retailers to flog them off at a discount, as already reported.

So, in a couple of months, we will have the amusing spectacle of British PlayStation fans queuing up at midnight to pay some of the world's highest prices for a console that should not really be in short supply, because it seems Sony can already make more than it can sell.

Update: Our games reviewer Steve Boxer has pointed me towards UK Resistance for Cmdr Zorg's very amusing take on this story. This includes SONY ANNOUNCES XBOX 360 LAUNCH LINE-UP and PS3 EURO LAUNCH: THE FACTS.

here is the source of article...http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo..._cost_835.html
    \/\/ho's Got

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda:Twilight Princess, \/\/ii Sports, \/\/ario \/\/are, Tiger \/\/oods:07, \/\/ii Play, Super paper Mario, Prince of Persia, Game Party//-//3 Remotes, 2 Chuks, Retro Skin
    DS:Zelda Phantom hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, Touchmaster, Big Brain Academy, Mario Kart DS, Castlevania:Portrait of Time//Retro Skin, Switch&Carry Digital Camou Case.

Member #
    Friends
    you do know about exchange rates and economy right? like how we pay more for the wii than japan dose? (excluding wii sports even if you consider it a $5-30 which it is) and i also believe austrailas wii cost more than ours orrr how europes wii cost more?
    Last edited by Sovieto; 01-26-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Oh yeah I heard about that. Euros cost more than USD. If you want it Europe now is your chance. No Ebay craze for you guys?

Member #
    Friends
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    yes that was with exchange rate figured in i do believe. at least that is what the article said. i didnt figure it myself. even still why should it be even a dollar more, let alone over 200? give me a break. no gaming console is or has ever been worth that. the only thing that makes even close to worth 600 is the blu ray. i woudlnt play blu ray on it anyway, so its definitely not worth it to me. and it is a far sight away from being worth $800+ dollars.
    you could add blu ray to your computer, beef up the graphics, and make that thing look like a joke for 800 dollars.
    Last edited by dedpoet777; 01-27-2007 at 12:45 AM.
    \/\/ho's Got

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda:Twilight Princess, \/\/ii Sports, \/\/ario \/\/are, Tiger \/\/oods:07, \/\/ii Play, Super paper Mario, Prince of Persia, Game Party//-//3 Remotes, 2 Chuks, Retro Skin
    DS:Zelda Phantom hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, Touchmaster, Big Brain Academy, Mario Kart DS, Castlevania:Portrait of Time//Retro Skin, Switch&Carry Digital Camou Case.

Member #
    Friends
    Wait...

"That would have left an amazing 313,000 unwanted PS3s washing about somewhere. Machines that could have cost Sony around $300 million to make."

It doesn't make sense that they are almost $1000 to make each...what's up with this?

Member #
    Friends
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    they do cost 805 dollars to make i believe. im not sure how accurate that is, just what i read many times.
    \/\/ho's Got

Member #
    Friends
    0079-8462-7419-1215
    eBay it, u could probly find a cheaper 1

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by dedpoet777
    they do cost 805 dollars to make i believe. im not sure how accurate that is, just what i read many times.
    Why are they selling them for well under 20% LESS than that then?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Public Disease
    Why are they selling them for well under 20% LESS than that then?
    because thats the strategy, pricing it at a more consumer price sells more hardware, and they make up for it in software, xbox started it i believe, then 360 then ps3, wii makes a profit

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto
    because thats the strategy, pricing it at a more consumer price sells more hardware, and they make up for it in software, xbox started it i believe, then 360 then ps3, wii makes a profit
    well he says its strategy. i agree to an extent. i think theyre only doing it because they knew they couldnt get that much out of it anywhere, let alone america. and i figure they, like sovieto said, thought theyd sell enough anyway, and make their money back on accessories for it. and now that is all crashing down before them. unfortunateley for us and them , their eyes were too big for most peoples wallets and patience.
    \/\/ho's Got

Ads