There have been many many many misconceptions concerning the motion sensoring technology used in both the PS3 and the Wii.
A lot of Wii fanboys here are complaining about PS3s stolen technology. Which is quite ironic, due to the fact that both Nintendo and Sony reused someone elses technology for their own controllers.
My Points are this:
1. The Playstation 3 controller was used before for the playstation 1.
2. Motion Sensoring controllers have been around since around 1997 for gaming.
3. The Nintendo Wii stole patented technology for their controller.
4. The PS3 and Wii use old technology that is both NOT theirs.
5. Who cares who stole what as long as it gets used for the benefit of gamers everywhere.
ok now lets get into details.
1. Pellican, a third party company released a controller for the PS1 which included the tilt control technology, sensing movement when the controller when turned at different angles, it included rumble feature as well. This was in 1999. Sony just reused and improved on this PS1 controller for their PS3.
(cant find a current picture, but I was able to find this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOBtMMWteA)
2. In 1997 Microsoft released a side winder freestyle controller which included the same exact technology as mentioned in (1.). This was for the PC.
3. Nintendo used patented technology from Interlink. The combination between interlinks remote and microsoft/pellicans motion controllers is what the Wiimote is. Its not original. Its not new Nintendo technology. Its ripped just like everything else is in this generation of gaming consoles.
Last i heard, interlink is preparing a lawsuite against nintendo.
4. Both the Wii and the PS3 use technology that is not new nor their own. The rumble feature found in controllers was made by Immersion. Sony and Microsoft in 2002 were sued by Immersion. This is the real reason Sony does not have a rumble feature in their new controller, but it seems agreements are being made for a new PS3 controller with this function. Microsoft, with their money has already payed off Immersion. Nintendo? They are still looking to that, however they cant escape Interlink unfortunately.
5. All that should matter, is the relisation that no console is stealing technology from another console, as they all have stole their stuff from someone else to begin with. As gamers we should be looking at who does it better, not who took what from whome. Because if we start playing the blame game, when the facts surface everyones just gonna look stupid.
I think this is important for both PS3 and Wii owners to know so no more blame games start poppin up.