LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

PS3 and Wii Controller information you should know.

There have been many many many misconceptions concerning the motion sensoring technology used in both the PS3 and the Wii.

A lot of Wii fanboys here are complaining about PS3s stolen technology. Which is quite ironic, due to the fact that both Nintendo and Sony reused someone elses technology for their own controllers.

My Points are this:

1. The Playstation 3 controller was used before for the playstation 1.
    2. Motion Sensoring controllers have been around since around 1997 for gaming.
    3. The Nintendo Wii stole patented technology for their controller.
    4. The PS3 and Wii use old technology that is both NOT theirs.
    5. Who cares who stole what as long as it gets used for the benefit of gamers everywhere.

ok now lets get into details.

1. Pellican, a third party company released a controller for the PS1 which included the tilt control technology, sensing movement when the controller when turned at different angles, it included rumble feature as well. This was in 1999. Sony just reused and improved on this PS1 controller for their PS3.
    (cant find a current picture, but I was able to find this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOBtMMWteA)

2. In 1997 Microsoft released a side winder freestyle controller which included the same exact technology as mentioned in (1.). This was for the PC.

3. Nintendo used patented technology from Interlink. The combination between interlinks remote and microsoft/pellicans motion controllers is what the Wiimote is. Its not original. Its not new Nintendo technology. Its ripped just like everything else is in this generation of gaming consoles.

Last i heard, interlink is preparing a lawsuite against nintendo.

4. Both the Wii and the PS3 use technology that is not new nor their own. The rumble feature found in controllers was made by Immersion. Sony and Microsoft in 2002 were sued by Immersion. This is the real reason Sony does not have a rumble feature in their new controller, but it seems agreements are being made for a new PS3 controller with this function. Microsoft, with their money has already payed off Immersion. Nintendo? They are still looking to that, however they cant escape Interlink unfortunately.

5. All that should matter, is the relisation that no console is stealing technology from another console, as they all have stole their stuff from someone else to begin with. As gamers we should be looking at who does it better, not who took what from whome. Because if we start playing the blame game, when the facts surface everyones just gonna look stupid.

I think this is important for both PS3 and Wii owners to know so no more blame games start poppin up.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    First of the PS1 is just talking about tilt and a little motion sensor. Nothing at ALL like the Wiimote how can you even bring that up as the FIRST motion sensor controller when it barely did anything comparable what the Wiimote is doing right now? You're point #2 is for THE PC...we're talking about gaming consoles so it has no relevance. As for Interlink they're a little company that just wants attention. They are ONLY claiming that Nintendo "stole" their technology. And I just searched on Google and some people are saying its unlikely Nintendo will fork over any money to them since they designed it to be used for a totally different purpose. The bottom line is that yeah Microsoft and Nintendo may have stolen little things in the PAST but its NOTHING compared to the Grand Larceny that Sony has commited over its tenure.

Once again you sony fanboys show you're major hardon for "new technology" or "new graphics". Its not always about that. Who cares what year this technology is? Its working perfectly fine for the majority of games and milions of people enjoy the NEW, innovative method of playing games (in conjuction w/ the nunchuk).

EDIT: Those diagrams may look a little similar but they're not like the motion sensor bar of the or the Wiimote. I mean there are no buttons on that crap for goodness sakes.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    It may not be new TECHNOLOGY, but nintendo's idea certainly IS new. Those old controllers were just devices the sensed tilting motions. The wiimote senses that, and however far away from your television it might be. How can they possibly form a lawsuit when there are so many differences? The only similarity is the tilt..which is just one small detail of the wiimote!
    They'd be retards to form a law suit.

Enoch was right.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    Let's leave it at this:

If company's didn't copy or make a similar clone of ideas or concepts from another company, the world would not be where it is today.
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

Forum Moderator - [PM]

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by FR.
    Let's leave it at this:

If company's didn't copy or make a similar clone of ideas or concepts from another company, the world would not be where it is today.
    Well said :P

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by FR.
    Let's leave it at this:

Bingo! we have a winner. Its not bad that they copy and make better. Fanboys just need to stop whining about it as in the end, everyone ends up stealing from something else.

My closing argument was this
    5. Who cares who stole what as long as it gets used for the benefit of gamers everywhere.

Guillotine Fodder VampiricLugia's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Kirby Tilt n' Tumble. 'Nough said on the Nintendo side.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi2U
    First of the PS1 is just talking about tilt and a little motion sensor. Nothing at ALL like the Wiimote how can you even bring that up as the FIRST motion sensor controller when it barely did anything comparable what the Wiimote is doing right now? You're point #2 is for THE PC...we're talking about gaming consoles so it has no relevance. As for Interlink they're a little company that just wants attention. They are ONLY claiming that Nintendo "stole" their technology. And I just searched on Google and some people are saying its unlikely Nintendo will fork over any money to them since they designed it to be used for a totally different purpose. The bottom line is that yeah Microsoft and Nintendo may have stolen little things in the PAST but its NOTHING compared to the Grand Larceny that Sony has commited over its tenure.

Once again you sony fanboys show you're major hardon for "new technology" or "new graphics". Its not always about that. Who cares what year this technology is? Its working perfectly fine for the majority of games and milions of people enjoy the NEW, innovative method of playing games (in conjuction w/ the nunchuk).

EDIT: Those diagrams may look a little similar but they're not like the motion sensor bar of the or the Wiimote. I mean there are no buttons on that crap for goodness sakes.
    Wow someone ran out of tampons today You silly fanboys think nintendo invented something new with the wii. Nintendo used old technology in a new (crappy) way. Get over it. Nintendo didnt invent anything. They borrowed other companies technology, and slapped it on outdated system and made it sound like a great deal since its cheaper than the other systems. Heres the kicker. Its not a great deal! Would you pay $250 for a gamecube with a wii remote? I know I wouldnt. Thats exactly what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny
    me want to have sex with other men
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyGTS
    im a retarted little kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom
    Well, YOU CAN'T TRADE GAMES. Once you use them on a system they only work on THAT system.
    Maybe I should tell blockbuster to stop renting ps3 games then

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii&Ps3
    Wow someone ran out of tampons today You silly fanboys think nintendo invented something new with the wii. Nintendo used old technology in a new (crappy) way. Get over it. Nintendo didnt invent anything. They borrowed other companies technology, and slapped it on outdated system and made it sound like a great deal since its cheaper than the other systems. Heres the kicker. Its not a great deal! Would you pay $250 for a gamecube with a wii remote? I know I wouldnt. Thats exactly what you're doing.
    Please you disgruntled fanboy stop thinking that insults are going to affect me. Its the INTERNET. The fact of the matter is Nintendo did create something new. All that crap in the first post doesn't change that nor does it say anything of real significance. As for the Wii its better than the Gamecube as we all know and the price is definitely worth it. You keep telling yourself that all Wii owners are angry about paying for it when its the EXACT opposite. Its amazing how blind you really are.

Member #
    Friends
    the ds and gba has tilt.
    yoshi topsi turvy
    wario twisted
    both gba games but can be played on the ds

thanks demonflair for the awsome sig

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads