they lowered the price because people were refusing to buy them in Japan
sigh, here you go again. Where do you get this stuff? Personal Bias? the tooth fairy? or perhaps you assume you know what your talking about without actually knowing?
I think you like to pretend you know what your talking about, without actually researching to know the facts, and lets not forget the obvious bias you have.. jeff.
Ok, pay attention so you wont assume the same thing again.
The lower price is both a direct and indirect result of a few things.
1. The 20 GB version price was originally cut, not the 60gb.
2. Japanese games will cost more. Thats right, they will pay upwards of $70-80 USD or 7000-8000 yen.
3. More japanese developers are releasing games in Japan in comparision to the rest of the world.
4. Retailers were complaining because no one was interested in the 20gb version. Only the 60gb.
5. Japan is both nintendos and sonys guinea pig. They try out stuff there first. Its also the battleground between the rivals.
Its not because no one is buying the PS3. On amazon japan alone the PS3 60gig and Wii are selling equally, with the PS3 rising. Their gundam game alone made it to the top selling games in japan. The DS had the other top selling games. Not so much the wii. Its a fierce battle over there. Sony and Nintendo dont really like eachother because of the snes cd betrayal.
Anyways, now that you know, perhaps you might drop that bias for once.