Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7177-5401-1319-4531
    Shift-

The inclusion of BR player is unnecessary for this gaming generation. If anything, it is a commodity for videophiles that need their fix of HD movies. However, I agree with you in that there are developers who will take advantage of the additional space, but they will be the exception, not the majority. This additional space, however, will not revolutionize or immensely affect the length or content in games. For one, developing games is already expensive enough. And two, the trend of supplying additional downloadable content will continue. I really do not see a reason for BR, when HDD have been implemented in the consoles already... it's either one or the other.

As for big games on DvDs, just look at Mass Effect and Oblivion; both have stunning graphics, immense environments, and seemingly unlimited content, all one DvD. I don' think anyone can condemn dvd as a format after looking at Mass Effect in action. Yes, some developers have shown that they are capable of compressing and using "tricks" better than others, but I think that part of the problem is with PS3 dev-kit (i.e. Oblivion) not the developers.

Also, look at what Nintendo was capable of on the GC with 1.5GBs. A perfect albeit overused example is RE4. This game was the pinnacle of graphics on the GC, and arguably one of the best looking games of last-gen, all packed into a mini-disk. When this game was ported to the PS2, it saw a downgrade in graphics and effects and a minor upgrade in content. Was the use of a DvD (4.8ishGB) necessary? No, but I bet Capcom went the easy route and filled most of it with uncompressed data.

I think that the PS3 will definitely impress everyone in the future, but it won't be because of BR, but because of the games and Cell. As I've said before, I love the playstation brand and would choose my PS2 over my Wii any day (ready the pitchforks), but Sony lost me as a customer with the addition of $200+ that resulted from inclusion of BR... all to win a format war.
    Last edited by Rahnter; 04-10-2007 at 03:07 PM.

2. Ads

Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    You can't always say that such consoles are past their times. By three or four years, if the Blueray has not been reaped of all potential benefits, it will have been outdated. That's like saying save 2007 technology for 2010. In this day and age, technology is increasing VERY rapidly. You never know what developers will take advantage of the Blueray and how it will help games develop in the current day and age. Bringing it out earlier is better than later so that right now games will contain the benefits of it, starting in 2007, not 2010 or whenever they "should've brought it out". We are living in exponential times, you know. Watch this interesting video that better explains my points somewhat about increasing technology ando ther things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqk4agzKPE
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

Member #
    Friends
    Ahead of its time is a pretty strong statement. That means that some time in the future PS3 is guaranteed to be popular and demand. That is by no means a certainty.

Member #
    Friends
    7177-5401-1319-4531
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91
    You can't always say that such consoles are past their times. By three or four years, if the Blueray has not been reaped of all potential benefits, it will have been outdated. That's like saying save 2007 technology for 2010. In this day and age, technology is increasing VERY rapidly. You never know what developers will take advantage of the Blueray and how it will help games develop in the current day and age. Bringing it out earlier is better than later so that right now games will contain the benefits of it, starting in 2007, not 2010 or whenever they "should've brought it out". We are living in exponential times, you know. Watch this interesting video that better explains my points somewhat about increasing technology ando ther things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqk4agzKPE
    That's good and all, but how often have technological advances been rejected because either the public, the industry, or the government did not approve of it or was not ready for change? Yes, everything is advancing exponentially, but at the same time, technology is highly regulated, same with pharmaceutical and medical advancements. It's easy to make improvements, but a lot harder pass testing and receive industry and public consensus.

I think for now, the gaming industry is not ready to cope for the expenses that will be generated from filling BR-discs to the brim...and the public will not accept an increase in game prices.
    Last edited by Rahnter; 04-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.

...yea... My god the Wii owns...'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    If what you say turns out to be remotely correct, it'll be like the Dreamcast. A console way more powerful than others, and just "ahead of its time". But Sega and Sony are too completely different companies.

Member #
    Friends
    Developers just aren't taking full advantage of what the PS3 is capable. They can't stuff 50GB of content into a game, because then there'd be no way to go multi platform. Exclusives are going the way of the dodo... the best way to make money is to push your product to as many consumers as possible.

When there is extra content on the PS3 version, what is it? Videos, music, "making of" nonsense that very few gamers are actually interested in.

And in the end, you still have a 2 speed drive pulling all that data off the disc at a snail like pace. Blu Ray was a mistake.
    When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye
    I turned to look, but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown, the dream is gone
    I have become Comfortably Numb

dds
    Member #
    Friends
    Yea!
    TRUE Nintendo fanboys should own an Xbox 360 just so you can play the third installment of Banjo and Kazooie

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by santo
    Developers just aren't taking full advantage of what the PS3 is capable. They can't stuff 50GB of content into a game, because then there'd be no way to go multi platform.
    Yet.. Developers are not taking full advantage of the medium YET. But they are playing with it, and yes even the multiplatform ones. I dont think they are supposed to fill it up to the top so soon after its release, but the key is, is that it gives developers.. the producer... the freedom to make a game as he sees fit.
    Also do not forget Sony has been strengthening its first person game developement. They are making a ton of their own games to with the system. Their line up is getting pretty big now. These games have the freedom to use blue ray to its full extent even more. The maker of MGS4 said basically that the PS3 offers the only cinematic tech that he needed for his title and thats why it will .. and can only stay.. an exclusive. Square Enix is known in the past for using multipul discs, imagine what they can do on just one 50gig disc and their Final Fantasy Franchise.

Blue ray also helps prevent piracy. The more data, even if its dummy data or non compressed data, is on a single disc, the harder it becomes to download. Not many are set up to freely download 30-50gigs for one game. And we cant forget the Playstation Edge, a kit shown off at GDC 2007 to help developers take full advantage of the system.

Its really a pros and cons situation. You can keep focusing on the cons if you wish, but i will point out the pros.

When there is extra content on the PS3 version, what is it? Videos, music, "making of" nonsense that very few gamers are actually interested in.
    Im glad you speak for everyone. Miss Cleo. I for one if playing a game like gta love the music, if playing a game with video.. love the video, i love when theres a lot more of media that my senses can enjoy. I also know that those types of media will not be limited to the blue ray but the bare minimum in how it is use.

To be honest, its too early for you to be making these claims, way too early.

And in the end, you still have a 2 speed drive pulling all that data off the disc at a snail like pace. Blu Ray was a mistake.
    In the end you dont seem to see the bigger picture. The chances go up that the next wave of consoles will include blue ray technology. Microsoft already said they were considering a blue ray attachment for the 360.

You say it was a mistake, I say it was a gamble. One of those things you have to watch for awhile before saying if it fails or not, because its way too early. You are entitled to your opinion, however premature it is.
    Last edited by Shiftfallout; 04-10-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    With Blu-Ray they can fit more data on one disc but they could do the same thing by just putting it on multiple DVDs. So it still isn't needed for gaming.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Guillotine Fodder VampiricLugia's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftfallout
    Also do not forget Sony has been strengthening its first person game developement. They are making a ton of their own games to with the system. Their line up is getting pretty big now. These games have the freedom to use blue ray to its full extent even more. The maker of MGS4 said basically that the PS3 offers the only cinematic tech that he needed for his title and thats why it will .. and can only stay.. an exclusive. Square Enix is known in the past for using multipul discs, imagine what they can do on just one 50gig disc and their Final Fantasy Franchise.
    Okay, so their first party lineup is huge. But this brings the question....With so many games coming from basicly the same places, will this water down the time to be spent on each game, thus killing the quality? I mean, the length of most games right now is crap, but if these producers get even further loaded down, just imagine how low they can go. Unless Sony is dispersing their workload, I don't see how a huge lineup is going to help. This is where 3rd party brings a win.

Ads