Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Nintendo,Gaming 24/7 fatalorgasm92's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3157-7038-9234-4590

Need Linux Help for PS3!!!

Hey i was recently Interested in Yellow dog for PS3.
    If anyone has any info on installation effects on the PS3 or absolutely ANYTHING please let me know. The Biggest thing i want to know is Do you keep the normal Playstation OS as well?? becuaes i dont want to install YDL and then not have my old PS3.
    Any help would be great

What if, on a crowded street, you look up and see something appear that should not, given what we know, be there. You either shake your head and dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than we think. Perhaps it really is a doorway to another place. If you choose to go inside you may find many unexpected things."-Miyamoto

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    And does it void the warranty?

360 GT: LostCelestial
    PSN ID: AerialSpirit

Member #
    Friends
    No and No.

By installing the YD OS, you have to switch what it loads on the system menu. In the Linux boot screen, you can type in commands and have it boot from the PS3 OS or let it continue loading YD. When having boot from the PS3 OS it will restart and change the boot back to the PS3 OS.

It does not void your warranty.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

I don't want rep. Rep me again and I'll have half a mind to rep each and every one of you.

Currently learning HTML & SEO & JavaScript

It seems I still have allies on WiiChat.

Member #
    Friends
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    Oh.. Whats good about it?

360 GT: LostCelestial
    PSN ID: AerialSpirit

Member #
    Friends
    Nothing. Its still a work in progress so, you cant do anything amazing. Emulators are still being worked on so none work for the PS3 right now. Since you have a PC already, not much purpose putting it on your PS3 at the moment.

I don't want rep. Rep me again and I'll have half a mind to rep each and every one of you.

Member #
    Friends
    3157-7038-9234-4590
    aight thanks man. I know i have pc so its doesnt really matter but i just wanted to messs around with it, in the future i think this capability to boot different OSes will make the PS3 awesome and alot of modding and customizing will be possible. the only purpose it would serve right now is if your computer sucked.

So actually when you think about it the PS3 besides being itselft if a 600 pc with a bluray drive, Wow what a deal, and it has processing power thats it unmatched. If i didnt have my PC already i would definitly use it instead.

What if, on a crowded street, you look up and see something appear that should not, given what we know, be there. You either shake your head and dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than we think. Perhaps it really is a doorway to another place. If you choose to go inside you may find many unexpected things."-Miyamoto

Member #
    Friends
    Its deffinitly like the PSP. Once people start to get used to it, there will be some pretty crazy things going on.

Its a very cheap system.

Member #
    Friends
    3157-7038-9234-4590
    Ya i mean thats something everyone Complaining about the price really fails to see. and its getting a price drop sometime this year i think. the PS3 is a really good deal. I just wish linux had a few more games, Theres about 30 i know of i paly on PC buts theres some missing. I hope they make a program so you can use the PS3 controller with Linux games.

Member #
    Friends
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFtNaDUgHY[/media]

NVM, it does play a lot of emulators. I wish i had servers like that guy.

Ads