LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid
    all u can get on a hd crt is 480p. hey how do games look hooked up to a computer monitor via vga cable?
    Thats strange. I just started watching Jay Leno in 1080i on my HD CRT. Must be magic

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    oh my bad, sdtv are only 480p, i thought thats what you meant.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKid
    Do you mean that Toshiba TV that I already own? I must admit after getting the component cables and calibrating my tv for a sharp image with little to no ghost-ness and setting the ps3 and the tv to 16:9 it looks pretty damn good.

I own a Wii. I own a PS2 and an original Xbox which I don't play anymore and are not even hooked up.

What's the advantages of a HD CRT?
    If you are only going to play the PS3 then an LCD/Plasma would be fine since it is outputting a resolution the display is better suited for. The Wii won't look as good as it would on a CRT of similar size (when possible).

You should consider the Costco return policy and buy a TV from their and try the Wii.

all u can get on a hd crt is 480p. hey how do games look hooked up to a computer monitor via vga cable?
    Thats strange. I just started watching Jay Leno in 1080i on my HD CRT. Must be magic

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Really? Why is that? I was considering getting an LCD HDTV, but if that's the case, I'm not sure.
    If you read the forums dedicated to retro gaming or home theater you will see many people unhappy with their HD sets because the older game consoles look pixelated. Usually it is a combination of problems - first the older consoles are low resolution (240 for systems prior to the PS) and the upconversion built into lesser expensive sets is not very good. Second because CRTs have built in antialiasing that an LCD/Plasma cannot recreate.

Member #
    Friends
    How are the DLP projection screens?
    PSN ID: excLOUsiv
    Fell free to add me as a friend.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKid
    How are the DLP projection screens?
    Better than LCD projection but any type of projection is going to suck compared to direct view. Don't be cheap!

Member #
    Friends
    i have a 60 inch dlp tv and it is nice, its not as deep as u think, about 1 and a half feet deep. it takes up quite a lot of space but costs a lot less than a lcd tv. mine can go up to 720p but about every 2 and half years i have to replace the lamp in the tv cuz it burns out. how do projections work? is it worth it if it displays 480p but at like 120 inchs?

Member #
    Friends
    2516-2980-0622-0754
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    If you read the forums dedicated to retro gaming or home theater you will see many people unhappy with their HD sets because the older game consoles look pixelated. Usually it is a combination of problems - first the older consoles are low resolution (240 for systems prior to the PS) and the upconversion built into lesser expensive sets is not very good. Second because CRTs have built in antialiasing that an LCD/Plasma cannot recreate.
    But would an LCD HDTV be a step down in those particular games from a standard definition CRT? Right now I have a 19 inch CRT, and even if Wii games and older games aren't going to look any better, I think the LCD might still be worth it for better looking 360 games. However, if it's going to make Wii games look worse than they do on my current set, I'll probably wait until I can afford something better than an LCD...

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    i have a 60 inch dlp tv and it is nice, its not as deep as u think, about 1 and a half feet deep. it takes up quite a lot of space but costs a lot less than a lcd tv. mine can go up to 720p but about every 2 and half years i have to replace the lamp in the tv cuz it burns out. how do projections work? is it worth it if it displays 480p but at like 120 inchs?
    120" at 480p would look like complete shit....
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    But would an LCD HDTV be a step down in those particular games from a standard definition CRT? Right now I have a 19 inch CRT, and even if Wii games and older games aren't going to look any better, I think the LCD might still be worth it for better looking 360 games. However, if it's going to make Wii games look worse than they do on my current set, I'll probably wait until I can afford something better than an LCD...
    Lets say you had a Nintendo 64 connected to a 19 inch crt and a 19 inch LCD of equal quality. The CRT would look better. The LCD/Plasma has a native resolution and in order to get the low resolution video game to fit the entire screen it stretches the image. Inexpensive sets perform no processing of the image so it looks like trash when stretched.

Since the 360 and PS3 can output higher resolutions they can look better on an HD LCD but only if the internal resolution of the game is high.

On newer systems the games have an internal resolution and the resolution output by the system is customizable just like your computer. For example if you have a jpeg that is 640 by 480 stretched to full screen and your monitor is at 1600x1200 it won't make the picture look sharper.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er

120" at 480p would look like complete shit....
    seriously? how about 92 inch? i believe the exact resolution is 1024x768.

Ads