LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    WiiChat Member GypsyKid's Avatar
    Member #
    21435
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    142
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

    Intercooler...worthwile?

    I was in Walmart today picking up some various stuff and decided to check out the electronics section. I noticed that the PS3 has a $30 Intercooler available for it.

    Is this a wise/worthwhile purchase?

    Well, anyways it also got me to thinking. I remember being shown these videos on youtube on overclocking CPU's. To some of you that may not know what this is...it's basically cooling down your computer to points where it actually surpasses or "overclocks" its intended speed. Sometimes doubling the processing power. For example you can get a 2.4 ghz computer to run at 5 ghz if you freeze it...I mean nitrogen freezing. Serious stuff...

    I'm not well informed when it comes to very technical info. especially when it comes to processors etc. However, I do get the idea that processors work faster and more efficiently the cooler they are from those videos. That's what I took from that bit of info.

    So this leads me to think about trying to keep the PS3 not only in a well ventilated area but also have it cooled down so that it will run optimally or even above optimum.

    My question is...do intercoolers overclock PS3's or just make sure they don't overheat, or well...both.

    Also, do you think you could get games to play even smoother if you can overclock the PS3? Would you try overclocking? As I understand extreme overclocking can fry your computer and void your warranty if applicable.
    PSN ID: excLOUsiv
    Fell free to add me as a friend.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    WiiChat Member GamerCon's Avatar
    Member #
    25049
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I have seen people overclock N64's and the games all ran faster, not smooth faster, like fast forward faster.

    I wouldnt cause it doesnt really get to that extreme of heat. I've had mine on for a while, about a week, folding and its fine. If you feel you would need it, then do but I would save the cash and get one for the 360.

    No, I wouldn't try to overclock a processor.


    I don't want rep. Rep me again and I'll have half a mind to rep each and every one of you.

    Currently learning HTML & SEO & JavaScript

    It seems I still have allies on WiiChat.

  4. #3
    WiiChat Member paintba||er's Avatar
    Member #
    1665
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Posts
    3,417
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    No, it isn't needed, and it is never good to have something leaching power that should be going to your console. And no, I wouldn't try to overclock it.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

  5. #4
    Ptowwnaagee! PtonJalken's Avatar
    Member #
    9842
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,059
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    dont bother with intercoolers.

    They say that there is a higher rate of system failure WITH coolers then without. The Ps3 has less then 1% failure rate.. lower then all the systems.. It wont overheat unless something goes internally wrong like if you dropped it.

    Just think, come winter you will have an extra heat source for your room :P
    Wii on 25/12/06 - Ps3 on 10/07/07

    PSWii Owner
    Brawl: 1976-9887-4438 Bowser Player

  6. #5
    WiiChat Member paintba||er's Avatar
    Member #
    1665
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Posts
    3,417
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Quote Originally Posted by PtonJalken
    dont bother with intercoolers.

    They say that there is a higher rate of system failure WITH coolers then without. The Ps3 has less then 1% failure rate.. lower then all the systems.. It wont overheat unless something goes internally wrong like if you dropped it.

    Just think, come winter you will have an extra heat source for your room :P
    If I want to heat up my room I will turn on my 360. Temperature ↑ 10° My PS3 buts out hardly any heat by comparison. The Intercooler would make your room hotter anyway since it would be pulling more heat out of the console.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

  7. #6
    PS-What? jledesma's Avatar
    Member #
    7566
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    161
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6520-0310-8610-0194
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKid

    Well, anyways it also got me to thinking. I remember being shown these videos on youtube on overclocking CPU's. To some of you that may not know what this is...it's basically cooling down your computer to points where it actually surpasses or "overclocks" its intended speed. Sometimes doubling the processing power. For example you can get a 2.4 ghz computer to run at 5 ghz if you freeze it...I mean nitrogen freezing. Serious stuff...

    I'm not well informed when it comes to very technical info. especially when it comes to processors etc. However, I do get the idea that processors work faster and more efficiently the cooler they are from those videos. That's what I took from that bit of info.
    FYI

    Overclocking a processor is done by increasing the voltage on which the chip is working. For example, a 3.0 volt processor can be overclocked by forcing it to run under 3.6 volts. They freeze the processors in order to keep them from frying (when high voltage is applied not for the example I gave, you can do that easily on your PC)

    Cooling down your PS3 will not make it run faster.
    En México ya nos DESPEJAMOS!! <-- Local Joke

  8. #7
    Ptowwnaagee! PtonJalken's Avatar
    Member #
    9842
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,059
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er

    If I want to heat up my room I will turn on my 360. Temperature ↑ 10° My PS3 buts out hardly any heat by comparison. The Intercooler would make your room hotter anyway since it would be pulling more heat out of the console.
    i know its hotter, but i wasnt comparing. Im just saying it can make the air warm. Doesnt bother me tho.
    Wii on 25/12/06 - Ps3 on 10/07/07

    PSWii Owner
    Brawl: 1976-9887-4438 Bowser Player

  9. #8
    WiiChat Member GypsyKid's Avatar
    Member #
    21435
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    142
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by jledesma
    FYI

    Overclocking a processor is done by increasing the voltage on which the chip is working. For example, a 3.0 volt processor can be overclocked by forcing it to run under 3.6 volts. They freeze the processors in order to keep them from frying (when high voltage is applied not for the example I gave, you can do that easily on your PC)

    Cooling down your PS3 will not make it run faster.

    Alright, that's good info. Thanks for the replys. I don't think I'll be getting an intercooler then.
    PSN ID: excLOUsiv
    Fell free to add me as a friend.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

how to make an intercooler computer

,

intercooler for the wii good?

Click on a term to search for related topics.