LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    20794
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,870
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    ^Did you control Link with the D-Pad in TP? How about Samus in Metroid? Mario in Mario Galaxy?

    Your point is completely irrelevant.

    Not to fit a mold,

    Not to join a trend,

    Not to follow a crowd


  2. Ads


  3. #32
    Banned Sovieto's Avatar
    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,585
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing
    ^Did you control Link with the D-Pad in TP? How about Samus in Metroid? Mario in Mario Galaxy?

    Your point is completely irrelevant.
    since when did you have to control ps3 games with the d-pad?

    Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

  4. #33
    You're kidding, right? Minto's Avatar
    Member #
    8233
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,232
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0505-6993-9515-7982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto
    since when did you have to control ps3 games with the d-pad?
    last time i remember it was NEVER
    Steam ID: Mintoisking
    Xbox live GT: Sir Minto
    PSN ID: Mintoisgod

  5. #34
    An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    20794
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,870
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Which is exactly his point. Why wouldn't they put one of the Control Sticks where the D-Pad is?

    Not to fit a mold,

    Not to join a trend,

    Not to follow a crowd


  6. #35
    WiiChat Member Lewi T's Avatar
    Member #
    25688
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,549
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Wii
    because that would mean having 3 sticks
    If you're being serious, I'm assuming he means swapping the d-pad and the left analog stick...but I think that if they did swap them, then they would probably need to increase the size of the whole controller, because it would be very awkward to press the d-pad if it was where the left analog stick is. Also the area that the d-pad occupies is larger than that of the analog stick, so a complete re-design would be needed, and that would lose the benefit to the PS of continuously using a standardized controller for each system. The PS controller, in my opinion, is kind of an icon for the Playstation, so I don't think they would get rid of that.

    However, that being said, I think it probably depends on the type of game to whether a swap would be beneficial. Some games use both analog sticks simultaneously with emphasis on the shoulder buttons (e.g. FPSs, racing games [depending on the control setup]), so the current layout is better, but some just use the left analog stick with emphasis on the four 'main' buttons (e.g. RPGs, sports games), so a swap would probably benefit those games.

  7. #36
    WiiChat Member Celestial's Avatar
    Member #
    16628
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,396
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    I love the PS controller... I like where the D-pad is too, I use it for fighting games like Tekken... and for racing games, so I think it's fine where it is.

    360 GT: LostCelestial
    PSN ID: AerialSpirit

  8. #37
    Moderator FR.'s Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    17282
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,244
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovieto
    since when did you have to control ps3 games with the d-pad?
    He never said you had to use the D-Pad on the PS2-PS3 controller to move a character, he said it was in an uncomfortable position (below the D-Pad).



    However, I don't agree or disagree. It all depends on what you're used to. All my friends that have PS2s or PS3s all use the controller with ease. Why? Because they are used to it.
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

    WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

    Forum Moderator - [PM]

  9. #38
    Banned Sovieto's Avatar
    Member #
    883
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,585
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by FR.
    He never said you had to use the D-Pad on the PS2-PS3 controller to move a character, he said it was in an uncomfortable position (below the D-Pad).



    However, I don't agree or disagree. It all depends on what you're used to. All my friends that have PS2s or PS3s all use the controller with ease. Why? Because they are used to it.
    well okay if thats the case then so be it
    but it probably wont change since there are more people who are used to it and are fine with it than people who arent buying a ps3 because of it.

    Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

  10. #39
    shiftfallout.com Shiftfallout's Avatar
    Member #
    18773
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    1,546
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    ok, i want everyone to hold their hands in front of them. Clap once, but keep your hands together once you do that, dont pull them apart again.

    Now slowly pull your hands away from each other, while keeping them parallel. Curl the tops of your fingers and try to touch your thumbs together. Now look at what you see.


    Your thumb's length is half of that of your fingers, its tip is, give or take, at around your finger base line.

    It is more natural for the hand to have a more used feature, such as the joystick, closer to the thumb, than to the fingers, which is where the Dpad is. The hand naturally makes an L shape with the lower end being more in the thumbs territory than up high.

    Thus, the PS controller is designed to be optimally more accessible and comfortable to the human hand.

  11. #40
    WiiChat Member raisinghelen's Avatar
    Member #
    19621
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,052
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Ive always found PS controllers to be very comfortable to use, i even use them for my PC if the game allows it.

    I always use the D pad though in games such as PES as its much more responsive than the sticks. The only games i actually enjoyed using the analogue sticks in were GT 1&2.

    The sticks never seemed acurate enough for aiming in FPS' (especially after using the N64s analogue). Perhaps because they are rather short and fat.

    I still think its a great design though and good enough for most games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts