Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sell me the PS3

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by zap'em up
    so blue-ray on a regular TV is just like regular DVD's huh?
    duz that mean that the graphics will be crap too on regular TV's or are they still amazing?
    no the graphics will still look awesome, but with HD everything will just look a lot better. i thought the graphics were awesome on xbox before i even hooked it up to the HDTV.

with HD movies it's different though. since its real life picture, the picture cant look any more real, but they can improve the resolution. currenly 1080p is the best possible and blu-ray and HD-Dvd are the only formats to do this. DVDs can be upscaled to 480p but thats it. so imagine a movie thats more than twice as good a picture as you regular DVDs on an HDTV.

lots claim the average non-tech nerd cant see the difference but i definately can. it just looks so sharp, and kinda shiny in a way. its hard to explain, you have to experience it for yourself. : )

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Sadly I cant agree. I have SDTV and Blu-ray does not look special on it. It looks only slightly (and I do mean slightly) better.

Though a movie in HD using HD-DVD or Blu-ray does look better. But Blu-ray/HD-DVD does not look special on a Standard TV. Yes, I can see a difference, I dont think I fall in the catagory of a non-tech nerd, I see the difference but unless you have a HDTV its not worth paying $25-$30 a movie unless you actually have a HDTV.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Sadly I cant agree. I have SDTV and Blu-ray does not look special on it. It looks only slightly (and I do mean slightly) better.

Though a movie in HD using HD-DVD or Blu-ray does look better. But Blu-ray/HD-DVD does not look special on a Standard TV. Yes, I can see a difference, I dont think I fall in the catagory of a non-tech nerd, I see the difference but unless you have a HDTV its not worth paying $25-$30 a movie unless you actually have a HDTV.
    I saw someone do an actual encoding to datastream analysis [of HDM, i.e., HD-D and BD] and from a pure quantifiable measure, what you're seeing matches up very closely to the data.

*Most* of the additional data and bandwidth is used to drive the additional resolution, however, there's a tiny bit of additional (vs. an average DVD) at SD/720x480 that would make a small improvement in things like color, sequence matching, artifact reduction, etc. (again, even at SD some people with a decent eye would notice a small difference like you described).

(Another interesting side note: some DVD's have substantially better encoding where they max out the storage and datasteam - these discs get almost HDM quality at SD resolutions - and also upscale super nice! A good example is the deluxe 4 disc LOTR's releases).
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e

your mis-understanding me. im not saying the blu-ray looks better than a dvd on a normal sdtv. its not possible, your t.v. can only display what it can display. in the case of an sdtv i think it goes up to 480p. blu-ray movies look like dvds do.

the tech-nerd thing was meant to say lots of people cant see teh difference (my mother being one of them) between a movie on hd (1080) and a normal tv (up to 480) get what im saying?

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Ads