+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying a PS3

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5431-1607-7668-3461
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp
    Why don't all models have complete backwards compatibility?

I'm debating getting a PS3 or 360 to go with my wii toward the end of the summer.
    I think Sony

(a) wanted more people to purchase PS3 games
    and/or (b) had to spend more money to create a console with the PS2 chip in it and didn't want to spend that money

After that, they went to software emulation (80GB) but now the 40GB just has software emulation for PS1 games for unknown reasons.
    "My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my Charizard."

XBOX 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii owner.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    That is silly, but you're right, I'd probably buy mostly PS2 games.

Member #
    Friends
    2302-3055-5570-5529
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp
    Why don't all models have complete backwards compatibility?
    A TON of people already own a PS2 and those are who Sony will be trying to appeal to with lowered prices.. no BC = lower price

Member #
    Friends
    playstation3 is awsome

Member #
    Friends
    0806-9488-0395-2638
    Quote Originally Posted by mukeliller
    I am also on the verge of getting into "hardcore" gaming... and in particular getting a PS3.. I have done lots of looking around and had the same questions you did (minus the NHL stuff)

SO! The models that are BC are all off the market right now. They were the 60 and 80. The 60 is no longer in stores and the 80 was just discontinued; but the 80 may still be around in some stores. As a side note the 60 had emulation that was capable of playing more than the 80 due to a difference of hardware v software emulation respectively. You could get one on ebay but I think your any warranty would be at risk that way.

You have to buy HDMI cables separately; and the dualshock3 (the rumble controller isnt out in the US yet (wait till spring).

ANYWHO-What i decided was to wait till a new SKU (with a larger hardrive than 80 reportedly) comes out.. most likely it will have BC and it will come with a DS3, likely. No clue as to when that happens... but I will be there when it does.

Rep?
    Im in the market for a Ps3. is this new SKU going to happen in 08? im seeing the 80gig in stock at toysrus but if theres going to be a bigger better model i would want to wait i think? Are the HD's are easy to upgrade? i really want the 60 gig for the PS2 compatibility but i cant find one.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo93
    Is huger a word? The XBOX 360 is just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS. I haven't used mine in months. The PS3 is superior at the moment and the upcoming 08 and 09 releases for the PS3 are looking much better than those of the XBOX 360.

RROD isn't rare for the XBOX 360. The failure rate is still relatively high and when Microsoft replaces your XBOX 360, they can just give you the old model which will probably fail on you again in a few days.

OP: The 60GB has full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility, the 80GB is backwards compatible with most PS2 games and PS1 games and the 40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games, not PS2 games.
    Who cares if "huger" is a word or not, you know what he meant. If you think 360 is just FPS FPS FPS then you sir are stupid. Also the fact that almost all of PS3 games are on 360 would mean PS3 is "FPS FPS FPS". 360 has a shitload of different genres of games.

RROD isn't rare, that is true. But if Microsoft is dumb enough to replace your 360 with a older model then thats stupidity on them. Seeing as the newer models are cheaper to make and have a lower failure rate. Putting in a old model will just make them spend more money because there's a good chance you will send it back and they have to spend more money replacing it.

60gig isn't even sold anymore so that little info is irrelevant. 80gig does, but like people have already said, its been discontinued... You could get lucky and still find one out there, but they would have to hurry and hope.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    3878-8321-2254-6089
    There has been no info on the new sku at all it is only a rumour.I would get the 80gb now just in case.
    And alittle info on the 40gb
    as we all new they are now removing the spiderman 3 blu-ray movie
    PSN-kingofdoom95
    XBL-FlyingM0nkey007

Member #
    Friends
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    Wait so the new PS3's they are making, theres no model that has compatibility for ps2 games?

Member #
    Friends
    7223-3534-5566-9128
    in the next few months, there will be an update about the 80gig. because it is assumed that they are going to discontinue the 80gig and have a version with a bigger hard drive.

there has also been rumors that the 40 gig will have a firmware update so that PS2 games will be able to be played. it's only a rumor. however, sony has done some things others didn't think they could do with just a firmware update, so, it's might very well become a reality.

also, another rumor of a price drop. so if i were you, i would wait for a few weeks before purchasing one.
    Owner of PS3 and Wii. Playing Unreal Tournament 3 at the moment. Everything else is on hold.
    PSN - arcticreaver

Member #
    Friends
    Which models are backwards compatible?
    I think that the only model that is not backwards compatible is the 40GB version.

Does NHL 08 use the skill stick?
    I am not sure about this one.

Are HDMI cables sold with the system or separately?
    You will have to purchase HDMI cables separately. The cables that come with the PS3 are composite cables.

Do rumble controllers come with the system? Can you buy separately?
    The controller that is packed with the system is a Sixaxis (motion sensitive, but without rumble). I think you can import a DualShock 3 controller (with rumble) from Japan, as that is the only country it has been released in so far.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Ads