+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying a PS3

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0806-9488-0395-2638
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticreaver
    in the next few months, there will be an update about the 80gig. because it is assumed that they are going to discontinue the 80gig and have a version with a bigger hard drive.

there has also been rumors that the 40 gig will have a firmware update so that PS2 games will be able to be played. it's only a rumor. however, sony has done some things others didn't think they could do with just a firmware update, so, it's might very well become a reality.

also, another rumor of a price drop. so if i were you, i would wait for a few weeks before purchasing one.

THANKS for the info. Ill try to wait this one out if i can. if not ill grab the 80gig version.

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo93
    Is huger a word? The XBOX 360 is just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS. I haven't used mine in months. The PS3 is superior at the moment and the upcoming 08 and 09 releases for the PS3 are looking much better than those of the XBOX 360.

RROD isn't rare for the XBOX 360. The failure rate is still relatively high and when Microsoft replaces your XBOX 360, they can just give you the old model which will probably fail on you again in a few days.

OP: The 60GB has full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility, the 80GB is backwards compatible with most PS2 games and PS1 games and the 40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games, not PS2 games.
    well honestly, all i wanna say is i agree, i feel all xboxes major releases are over and done with and the pswii combo is the future.

also thats incredibly awkward that the 40GB is only backward with ps1.
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthworm Jim
    THANKS for the info. Ill try to wait this one out if i can. if not ill grab the 80gig version.

yeah i definitely wouldnt mind a ps3 at $300 , sorry for the double post as well.
    y'know i dont know why people getbent out of shape about double posting here. i mean triple and quad can be annoying but our reps arent based on post count
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    2302-3055-5570-5529
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticreaver
    in the next few months, there will be an update about the 80gig. because it is assumed that they are going to discontinue the 80gig and have a version with a bigger hard drive.

there has also been rumors that the 40 gig will have a firmware update so that PS2 games will be able to be played. it's only a rumor. however, sony has done some things others didn't think they could do with just a firmware update, so, it's might very well become a reality.

also, another rumor of a price drop. so if i were you, i would wait for a few weeks before purchasing one.
    Arctic the only thing I would add to your wonderful explanation concerning BC is that Peter Dille, a marketing VP for SONY CEA, talked about making PSN games downloadable briefly in EGM 226. He also said there was a model on the market that had the hardware for BC--but we know the 80 is no longer being supplied. So 08 will surely see another model out with BC.

If the 40s got a firmware update to handle PS2 games, they would be limited--there is a difference with BC and downloading older titles. Compatibility is the compliance of something new with previously manufactured products.

All the more reason why one should wait for a new SKU.

Member #
    Friends
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    Sorry to be newb, but what does BC stand for?

Member #
    Friends
    2302-3055-5570-5529
    Backwards Compatibility

Member #
    Friends
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    *puts on his noob hat embarassingly* Thanks.

I really wish Too Human was on PS3, then it'd be an easy choice. That and GTA are all I'm really interested in as far as 360/PS3 goes.

Member #
    Friends
    2302-3055-5570-5529
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp
    I really wish Too Human was on PS3, then it'd be an easy choice. That and GTA are all I'm really interested in as far as 360/PS3 goes.
    Meh.. It looks OK but it does not make it worth throwing down $300+ for a system that could very well die on you.

Im in it for FFXIII (& Versus) but I do love a 3rd person action/adv title. Force Unleashed will have to do

Member #
    Friends
    The 40 GB has BC, just not full BC. It can play PS1 games but not PS2 games. I keep seeing people say that it doesn't have BC but this isn't true.

The reason Sony dropped PS2 BC in the 40 GB was because it lowered the cost of producing the console. The benefits of BC didn't outweigh the benefits of having a $400 console on the market. A lot of people aren't willing to shell out $500 for a console. Also, PS2 sold 120 mil consoles. There isn't a dire need for full BC when most people still own a PS2.

Member #
    Friends
    controlers with rumble arent out yet, sixaxis got in the way of that at first but dualshock 3's are comign out soon (will be expensive as heck though) and HD cables are sold seperately but for srue worth the purchase, i have them.

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Ads