LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    16487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,146
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    First off I didn't assume anything. I just said that it's possibal and that they do not own it.

    Rights to the game is not even close ot the same thing as ownership of the game.

    Like I said they do not have CREATIVE Rights "ownership". That means they didn't make the game nor could they make another version of the game on there own without prior approval from the owner of the game aka the original developer.
    Its not Assumtion thats how it works. Otherwise it would be listed as a Microsoft Developed and published game if they had the acctual Creative Rights to it, thats common sense.

    Like I also said depending on how the contract is written up for the current publishing rights is if they could or could not release the game on multi platform.
    But it's safe to say No developer in their right mind would sign a contract saying " I will only make this game for Fill in the Blank." If they did, and then Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo left the gaming industry all together. Then later on they wanted to make these games for whatever console poped out in the future then they would have to get permission from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and probably pay them for no reason just to make a game they technically own themself.

    Depending on how much they paid for the "temporary rights" and how the contact is written up . blah blah ownership for blah blah amount of time. It could Very well get moved to another console. Specially when these games are such big hits.

    It's the same way with song artist signing a contract they get suckered into a 2 or 3 CD deal but if they get screwed or they could make more money somewhere else they will.
    But if they are treated fair and are striving they probably will stay with the same company.

    Publishers almost NEVER own the rights to a game unless they also own the Developing company aswell! Go look at long franchised 2nd party and 3rd party games, alot have switched hands among the publishers more than a couple times.The publisher does nothing more than pay to produce a game.
    Now the Temporary Rights to any game can be sold at any time be it to a Publishing company or Developing company. But unless it is straight up owned by Sony/MS/Nintendo then it would not be under 100% of their controll.

    It's the Buisness end of it, no manager/lawyer would ever let them sign a contract for indeffinate ownership of rights.
    And no publishing company would pay the crazy amount it would probably take to get exclusive rights till the end of time.

    Will it happen? Who knows speculation of it going one way or the other means nothing without an announcement.But just assuming one way or the other is stupid there is a possability of both outcomes.
    The only people who know for sure are the Publishers/Developers/Console companys.
    It's not news they would break to the public untill all the fine details are written down in a contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say
    When we “assume” we make an “ass” out of “u” and “me”.

  2. #32
    WiiChat Member SensesFail's Avatar
    Member #
    23415
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,780
    Friends
    6
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by VidyaVince
    I see your point. But having played Mass Effect, that game is HEAVILY story-driven. If you play Mass Effect 2 without having played ME1 before, I'm certain that you wouldn't understand most of the things going on.
    i have read a few articles and they have dealt with this in a very smart way.

    aparently if you have played ME1 it will use your save file fromt hat game to start out the second but they said if you havent played me, then you could still pick up mass effect 2 and play it because it will have a different point to start from.

    thats from game informer mag.

    and i guess gears of war 3 on PS3 isnt that bad of a decision.. i wont be buying it cause i have a 360 and tried gears of war and thoght it was bad.


    Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

  3. #33
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    First off I didn't assume anything. I just said that it's possibal and that they do not own it.

    Rights to the game is not even close ot the same thing as ownership of the game.

    Like I said they do not have CREATIVE Rights "ownership". That means they didn't make the game nor could they make another version of the game on there own without prior approval from the owner of the game aka the original developer.
    Its not Assumtion thats how it works. Otherwise it would be listed as a Microsoft Developed and published game if they had the acctual Creative Rights to it, thats common sense.

    Like I also said depending on how the contract is written up for the current publishing rights is if they could or could not release the game on multi platform.
    But it's safe to say No developer in their right mind would sign a contract saying " I will only make this game for Fill in the Blank." If they did, and then Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo left the gaming industry all together. Then later on they wanted to make these games for whatever console poped out in the future then they would have to get permission from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and probably pay them for no reason just to make a game they technically own themself.

    Depending on how much they paid for the "temporary rights" and how the contact is written up . blah blah ownership for blah blah amount of time. It could Very well get moved to another console. Specially when these games are such big hits.

    It's the same way with song artist signing a contract they get suckered into a 2 or 3 CD deal but if they get screwed or they could make more money somewhere else they will.
    But if they are treated fair and are striving they probably will stay with the same company.

    Publishers almost NEVER own the rights to a game unless they also own the Developing company aswell! Go look at long franchised 2nd party and 3rd party games, alot have switched hands among the publishers more than a couple times.The publisher does nothing more than pay to produce a game.
    Now the Temporary Rights to any game can be sold at any time be it to a Publishing company or Developing company. But unless it is straight up owned by Sony/MS/Nintendo then it would not be under 100% of their controll.

    It's the Buisness end of it, no manager/lawyer would ever let them sign a contract for indeffinate ownership of rights.
    And no publishing company would pay the crazy amount it would probably take to get exclusive rights till the end of time.

    Will it happen? Who knows speculation of it going one way or the other means nothing without an announcement.But just assuming one way or the other is stupid there is a possability of both outcomes.
    The only people who know for sure are the Publishers/Developers/Console companys.
    It's not news they would break to the public untill all the fine details are written down in a contract.
    Thats an assumption... If you are saying something that you are not 100% sure about, then you are ASSuming something...

    Also who ever said I was criticizing you for assuming something?

    Anyway after that I stop reading because im tired of always reading your long posts.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  4. #34
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    16487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,146
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Did you get dropped as a baby?

    Assumtion: something that is believed to be true without proof.

    Now I didn't say one way or the other which way it would go. I said how the contract agreements work and who has ownership of the game. The possability it could change isn't assumtion, its fact. Go read any contract that deals with gaming or any kind of Entertainment at all and you will see that.

    If your view holds true why is FF not still on Nintendo? 1-6 where on Nintendo then it became a Playstation game and all the old Nintendo versions got ported over to everything else after so many years. And now there is rumor that after the last set of games FF is leaving Playstation... WTF oh wait I mean get a clue! Thats how the industry works they follow the money they are not stuck on any console forever. It was published by Sony,Nintendo,Square,EA even jumped into it none of them have real rights to it except the people who made it "Square-Enix"

    Everyone needs to get over their fanboy view of gaming and realise it's a buisness like anything else. Just because its on your favorite console, doesn't mean its staying there. Unless of course the Console company are also the ones who made the game. Even then it isn't a guarantee that it is going to stay that way, look at SEGA and Sonic.

    [media]http://thephotizo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/reality-check.jpg[/media]
    Be careful there is a bump after that too
    Last edited by wezeles; 03-16-2008 at 06:49 AM.


  5. #35
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Wtf are you talking about? If my views hold true...? Final Fantasy is published by Square and when its ported it gets published by another company.

    In the end FF is owned by Square-Enix so they can choose where to develop it on. When games are ported sometimes they let someone else do the work which ends up being published like another company. For example Oblivion was published by Bethesda on 2K along with the 360, then Ubisoft published on PS3.

    I never said that publishing a game automatically makes you the owner, but it tends to be that way.

    Btw, before you try to make a "comeback" to insult me, make sure you actually spell ASSUMPTION right.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  6. #36
    I'm Good at Games Dorkfish's Avatar
    Member #
    35724
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Boondocks
    Posts
    955
    Friends
    20
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3041-8420-1576-4112
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    Did you get dropped as a baby?

    Assumtion: something that is believed to be true without proof.

    Now I didn't say one way or the other which way it would go. I said how the contract agreements work and who has ownership of the game. The possability it could change isn't assumtion, its fact. Go read any contract that deals with gaming or any kind of Entertainment at all and you will see that.

    If your view holds true why is FF not still on Nintendo? 1-6 where on Nintendo then it became a Playstation game and all the old Nintendo versions got ported over to everything else after so many years. And now there is rumor that after the last set of games FF is leaving Playstation... WTF oh wait I mean get a clue! Thats how the industry works they follow the money they are not stuck on any console forever. It was published by Sony,Nintendo,Square,EA even jumped into it none of them have real rights to it except the people who made it "Square-Enix"

    Everyone needs to get over their fanboy view of gaming and realise it's a buisness like anything else. Just because its on your favorite console, doesn't mean its staying there. Unless of course the Console company are also the ones who made the game. Even then it isn't a guarantee that it is going to stay that way, look at SEGA and Sonic.

    http://thephotizo.com/wp-content/upl...lity-check.jpg
    Be careful there is a bump after that too
    Dood, you write the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGEST posts in the history of web forums. SHRTN THM UP PLZ
    My Face------------------------------------>

    Weeeeeeeeeeeee


    Add my PSN for some good shit~iDorkfish

  7. #37
    vidya gaems VidyaVince's Avatar
    Member #
    52146
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    425
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8294-6630-1949-8016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkfish
    Dood, you write the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGEST posts in the history of web forums. SHRTN THM UP PLZ
    For real, I get the biggest case of tl;dr when I read his posts.

    Brawl FC: 2707-1283-4208
    If you're online frequently, send me a PM that you added me.

  8. #38
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Thats not even close to his longest
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

  9. #39
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    16487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,146
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Wtf are you talking about? If my views hold true...? Final Fantasy is published by Square and when its ported it gets published by another company.

    In the end FF is owned by Square-Enix so they can choose where to develop it on. When games are ported sometimes they let someone else do the work which ends up being published like another company. For example Oblivion was published by Bethesda on 2K along with the 360, then Ubisoft published on PS3.

    I never said that publishing a game automatically makes you the owner, but it tends to be that way.

    Btw, before you try to make a "comeback" to insult me, make sure you actually spell ASSUMPTION right.
    My point is it almost NEVER tends to be that way.

    Go look who published the first Final Fantasy again. In NA it was Nintendo not Square. Square barely had enough money to put it out in Japan at the time. Thats where the name comes from Final Fantasy was supose to be their last game. But Nintendo came in and gave them the financial backing to continue, a.k.a. a publisher. Sure Nintendo had exclusivity for consoles for 10 years but once more money presented itself Square split.

    This is how it works all of the time, unless it comes directly from the publishers own development company than they simply "lease" the game and its contents. It's the same way for books,movies,cd's the publisher/producer simply has the rights to what they have paid for, not ownership in any way.
    I don't know how to dumb it down to you anymore, apparently all you can comprehend is spelling beyond that you use your own opinion instead of any type of facts to back anything up.

  10. #40
    Conquistador T3kNi9e's Avatar
    Member #
    39562
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2,231
    Friends
    2
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Final Fantasy - Published by Square in Japan - Released December 1987
    - Published by Nintendo in NA - Released July 1990

    The original game was published by Square and Developed by Square.

    That means FF1 was passed on to Nintendo so that it could be released in the US. This is done alot, usually the original game is released by its title holder then passed on to either be ported or released in another country. This doesn't always happen, but it happens alot. Just like how The Orange Box was published by Valve on PC and 360 then past on to EA London to port it for the PS3. Why? Valve said themselves that PS3 is a waste of time. So instead of doing it themselves they gave it to EA to port. This does not mean EA owns the rights, but they make money off of it because they ported/published it.

    This situation happens alot. It's not always that way and there are always exceptions, but this is how it tends to be. Thats why most games published by Nintendo/MS/Sony are owned by them.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts