+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Because this is a Playstation 3 forum... ?

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    from what i heard, there is a ps3 slim and there will be a price drop but sony does not want to confirm any of it until around or after the holiday season. mainly because they're going to let the stock of the current models dry up before putting the new ones out, and if they tell people now and confirm it and everything, they're afraid that people will just stop buying ps3's and wait until the new, cheaper model shows up.

at least that's just what i read/heard. but yeah, i don't know what sony can do to keep sales strong if the price drop isn't an actuality. there's really good samsung blu-ray players selling around my area (at walmart specifically) for more than 250-300 less than a ps3. so there goes one selling point for the ps3, and for me (opinion alert!) all the good games on PS3 can also be found on the 360, so they don't have the exclusivity thing going for them either. a price-cut is pretty much their only option to stay in the game, no pun intended.

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by SensesFail View Post
    he's right.
    all consoles typically take a hit at launch its not until around year 3 that the tech gets cheap enough the company can actually turn a profit. i do believe sony is still losing money on each ps3 but dont quote me..
    Sony currently sells the 40GB PS3s at a deficit. Only by about $40, though...which is a far cry from the $300 deficit for each 60GB PS3 back in 2006 at launch.

This wouldn't mesh well with a price cut...unless the price cut will be a slim version SKU that costs less to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterculius View Post
    so there goes one selling point for the ps3, and for me (opinion alert!) all the good games on PS3 can also be found on the 360, so they don't have the exclusivity thing going for them either. a price-cut is pretty much their only option to stay in the game, no pun intended.
    I would argue that they do have exclusivity going for them. I could name-drop PS3 exclusives until I'm blue in the face because the catalogue is that large. I guess they just don't happen to be in your taste. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

What Sony fails at is marketing these incredible (or promising if not released yet) exclusives...so the average gamer only knows about a fraction of them.
    Last edited by Bio; 06-29-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Yeah, I am pretty disappointed about Sony's marketing attempt. The only commercial I ever remember seeing for the PS3 was that one with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, LittleBigPlanet, and Metal Gear Solid 4 (3 great exclusives). But other than that, they've pretty much failed.

Bio's right, the average gamer probably rarely heard about games like Motorstorm 1 & 2, Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, Warhawk, maybe even Ratchet and Clank or Uncharted. And these are all fantastic exclusives.

It's sad, if Sony tried to market like Apple, think how many more titles they'd sell...

umm y r we talking about ps3 when it claerly saids WIIchat.com im confused
    Umm mybe cuz were in da section that saids ps3 in WIIchat.com??
    "For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Either Sony has a bunch of idiots for marketers, or they can't afford doing it to the extent necessary. I'm going with the latter.

I don't work at a game store, but many times I'll perfect playing the PS3 exclusive demos at the game stores just so onlookers can be aware of the games and what they can offer the player. I would find that so many people didn't know what Uncharted is (one guy was like "Is this some Indiana Jones game?"), but became instantly intrigued by it after watching me play it. My gameplay got one guy to get Uncharted and a PS3 during that same walk-in, and I don't even work at the store.
    Last edited by Bio; 06-30-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Ads