Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000

More Rumors about PS3 Price Drop

Meaningful -- as in it'll mean Sony would finally bow to ubiquitous suggestions, predictions and occasional threats that see the PlayStation 3 being lowered in price please please oh please. Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia is the latest to join the frugal chorus, telling Industry Gamers, "We continue to believe a $100 price cut on PS3 will occur around the launch of EA's Madden NFL 2010, which is scheduled for release on 8/18."

Agee claims to have encountered similar sentiment at a recent GameStop executive meeting, overhearing talk of a "highly likely" and "meaningful" near-term price drop even over the clinking of diamond-encrusted chalices and relentless pre-order thrusting.

It's Sony's decision, ultimately, but if it's alright with you, we'd rather just get this price drop over with. A lower price means more people get in on the fun ... especially when they also get to stop reading these things.
    Meh, rumors like this have been ciruclating for awhile, but I found it interesting that it's been heard in a Gamestop meeting...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/19/an...rice-cut-soon/
    Last edited by manufan15; 06-19-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    "For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Activision is also threatening to stop supporting PS3 if there is no price drop. They say that PS3's install base won't grow as well as other consoles due to the current price hurdle.

Blu-Ray Player prices are also going to drop. I'm wondering if Sony is going to drop the price once other BD players drop in price.

I'd say based on all this pressure from the press, we are going to see a cheaper PS3 by the end of the year. And I'm pretty sure it would be a decision Sony didn't originally want.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I don't know, chances are that Activision are just bluffing to try to convince Sony into a price cut. But then again, maybe they aren't...

I think Sony has to introduce a price cut by the end of the year, and hopefully it'll benefit them in the long run.

Member #
    Friends
    5574-4537-7049-7984
    I don't think that it will happen this year at all. Maybe they will buckle under the pressure and cut it for the holiday season but since they are apparently not making much cash on the console it then it may not be possible. What they should have done is make it cheaper from the beginning and then make profit from PS3 accessories. Unfortunately PS3 will continue to get ports of 360 games.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Foot View Post
    I don't think that it will happen this year at all. Maybe they will buckle under the pressure and cut it for the holiday season but since they are apparently not making much cash on the console it then it may not be possible. What they should have done is make it cheaper from the beginning and then make profit from PS3 accessories. Unfortunately PS3 will continue to get ports of 360 games.
    It's called the PS3 Slim and it's real. It's cheaper to make so they can sell it for less. Unknown release date so far though, I would guess later this year.

And there have been quite a few games that are multiplatform but have been developed specifically for PS3. IMO, Sony's exclusive lineup cannot be competed with. And in most cases, multiplatform games look and play exactly the same on both PS3 and 360. (With some exceptions of course)

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    PS3 Slim is inevitable. All PS products re-release with a smaller, more efficient version (as well as Tretton saying it will continue with PS3). The issue is that people are already talking about it. Usually a slim version doesn't release this soon after launch.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Yeah, it's rumored to drop this fall but as we all know these types of rumors are rarely correct.

I hope that Sony annouces it at TGS and they put it into effect soon after. It just frustrates me (and everyone else) that they're being so stubborn about this. They have an absolutely fantastic lineup of exclusives and multiplatform games, but the hardware is just too expensive for some.

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Sony has good reason to keep their mouths shut. They didn't even say anything about the last "price drop" (which was actually just introducing a cheaper SKU). They actually denied it weeks before it released.

If Sony tells us when they drop the price it would stunt/reduce PS3 sales. The moment people find out a target window or a date is the moment people start holding off for the price drop instead of buying the PS3 at its current price.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Foot View Post
    Profit from what? For what a PS3 has under the hood, it has always been cheap. PS3 with a price matching it's actual hardware would make it at around $800 at launch.

The only thing Sony should have done from the start was get rid of the backwards compatability since people didn't care enough about it. That would have significantly reduced the launch price.

On the port side of things, more games are leading on PS3 and porting to 360, so it might just be a more level rate in the future. Also, if PS3 continues to dish out great exclusives, the multiplatform situation won't be much of a problem. And besides, the differences between console versions are nearly always negligible and aren't worth claiming as a big issue.
    Last edited by Bio; 06-29-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Sony has good reason to keep their mouths shut. They didn't even say anything about the last "price drop" (which was actually just introducing a cheaper SKU). They actually denied it weeks before it released.

If Sony tells us when they drop the price it would stunt/reduce PS3 sales. The moment people find out a target window or a date is the moment people start holding off for the price drop instead of buying the PS3 at its current price.

Profit from what? For what a PS3 has under the hood, it has always been cheap. PS3 with a price matching it's actual hardware would make it at around $800 at launch.

The only thing Sony should have done from the start was get rid of the backwards compatability since people didn't care enough about it. That would have significantly reduced the launch price.

On the port side of things, more games are leading on PS3 and porting to 360, so it might just be a more level rate in the future. Also, if PS3 continues to dish out great exclusives, the multiplatform situation won't be much of a problem. And besides, the differences between console versions are nearly always negligible and aren't worth claiming as a big issue.
    he's right.
    all consoles typically take a hit at launch its not until around year 3 that the tech gets cheap enough the company can actually turn a profit. i do believe sony is still losing money on each ps3 but dont quote me..

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Member #
    Friends
    8981-4324-1737-8203
    umm y r we talking about ps3 when it claerly saids WIIchat.com im confused

Click here to level up my card!

Click here to level up my license!

Ads