WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164

PS3 slim review

Cheap PS3 means its more likely ill be getting one

Heres the tech guys opinion of it
    The single largest roadblock that prevents most people from picking up a PlayStation 3 is the price. Sony's just taken that roadblock and shrunk it. You're now $100 more likely to buy a PlayStation 3

The Difference

The PlayStation 3 Slim is actually more similar to the current PlayStation 3 fat than you'd think. Sony has been slowly phasing out features in the PS3 for a while, dumping USB ports, dumping card readers and dumping the PlayStation 2 backward compatibility. So the step to a Slim, now, isn't actually that steep, compared to what you'd get if you switched from a launch PS3.
    What you do get with the Slim is a smaller size, a reduced power consumption rate and a lower price. The lower power usage partially comes from the 45nm manufacturing process, and provides a 34% decrease in power consumption. (It's also 32% smaller and 36% lighter). And, the Slim adds the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio, which only matters if you're an audiophile with a modern sound system. You also get a new matte finish, which makes the console look less "premium", but eliminates the crazy fingerprint and dust problem the original had. Overall, it's a net gain in goodness.

The Experience

Because it's basically the same console, the only differences you're going to notice are audible ones. Like we said in our hands on, the disc drive in the PS3 Slim is louder than in the original PlayStation 3. Think of it like a laptop optical disc drive vs. a desktop optical disc drive. When you're seeking around, it makes a louder grinding noise than its larger counterpart. This noise makes no difference in Blu-ray movie watching, since it's all sequential, and is only occasionally encountered in games, especially since many game install bits and pieces to the hard drive.
    Other than that, yeah, it plays the same PS3 games, and it watches the same Blu-ray movies.
    The Takeaway

Think about the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation 3 Slim like this. You have two wives (I don't know, imagine you're Bill Paxton). Ninety-five percent of the time, they both do pretty much the same things. One is slightly chubbier, the other is slightly svelter. The skinnier one is quieter most of the time, but can get yappy when she can't find something. The thinner one also costs you a little less money, and...has a matted finish? This metaphor isn't going anywhere good, but you get the point. They're basically the same console, except now it's thinner and cheaper.

So the only question now is whether or not you should buy a PlayStation 3 now, or wait until September for the PS3 Slim. Both options are $300, but if you want the ability to install Linux, you'll have to get the PlayStation 3 fat. Then again, the three of you who want that probably already have a PS3. By lowering the price and making a more economical console, Sony's finally more or less evened the hardware landscape with Microsoft, and continued to ensure that the PS3 is still the best-value-for-your-money Blu-ray player. Now all that's left is getting some more games on there.

Lighter, thinner, less power hungry

Way less fingerprinty

Matted finish and new "squarer" styling might appeal to some, repulse others

Needs a $24 stand to be stable in the vertical position

Continues the tradition of removing features (USB ports, backward compatibility, Linux support) in the PS3 to lower the price

Via Gizmodo

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    1254-9433-9791-1069
    Excellent Review. I got $95 so far so I am really excited to get this.... Thanks again
    My Friend Codes.... You got to ask me for them...

NOW AN XBOX 360 OWNER!

RETURNING CALL OF DUTY PLAYER (Wii)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    -USB ports? well shoot. thats how i uploaded music and pics to it. i'm fine with my regular PS3.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow*91 View Post
    -USB ports? well shoot. thats how i uploaded music and pics to it. i'm fine with my regular PS3.
    It still has 2 USB ports (as opposed to 4 in older PS3 models). And you can hook up a USB hub to it for more ports.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Prinny, it's still 250~ cheapest here.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Prinny, it's still 250~ cheapest here.
    Ill be getting a second hand one
    They will be cheaper
    Slight prob
    I need money first

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    0217-6218-4567-4978
    Well, the stable thing can just be fixed with a bookstand (is that the name of it?) and a shelf type thing. Not hard.

The Silence Bridge Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Neosquid View Post
    I feel like half of what goes on in this forum involves people arguing about fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    We're gay gangbangers, not metrosexual hipsters.
    Hi yes, hello. I've been trying to get the hang of playing on a set of Donkey Konga bongos. I've got the hang of waveshining into double laser 360 half pipe bananarama, but I'm having a hard time smash attacking. How loud should I be clapping?

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    2625-5585-1810-7837
    Thanks for the all-together, Prinny. I'll be getting one Sep.5th/6th.
    Hope you find the money for it, Prinny.
    I live by Occam's Razor. Cliffnotes please.
    WiiChat Forum Moderator
    Need help with anything, PM me.
    Gamertag:Fox Feld
    Wii:Fox
    PSNID:Fox121488
    Pokemon gen4: I can swap my SECs to play but... chances are I already imported my pokes to gen 5 and honestly the loss of items is infuriating.
    White 2 FC: 3526 3286 9253

I don't play your games.
    I play mine.

Member #
    Friends
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Not worth it if you already have one, imo. Plus, it's uglier than the large one (purely opinion, but I think a lot of people will feel this way).
    If you already have a fat ps3, the only thing you'd be missing by not having the slim is a 120gb hard drive, which you can easily get for around $35.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB64 View Post
    Not worth it if you already have one, imo. Plus, it's uglier than the large one (purely opinion, but I think a lot of people will feel this way).
    If you already have a fat ps3, the only thing you'd be missing by not having the slim is a 120gb hard drive, which you can easily get for around $35.
    Why anybody would buy another one is beyond me in the first place really. Replacing the other one sure, but like you said it's really isn't worth the effort.

I'm going to need to wait on more Kindgom Hearts 3 news, assuming it comes out on PS3. Other than that, I really see no other reason to buy one for myself..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads