Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    world crown chimpokomastr pizzaluvr's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    oh you played pc, what are your specs?

and im not saying zeldas a bad game, im just saying simply the graphics in oblivion are much better
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaluvr
    oh you played pc, what are your specs?

and im not saying zeldas a bad game, im just saying simply the graphics in oblivion are much better
    Please stay on topic.

@ Dark Void - I think you missed the point I was making. I wasn't talking about branding or advertising or innovation. I was trying to highlight the possibility that there is a different motive to the PS3 than what is made public to gamers.

Write like a four year old and I'll treat you as such – Haz, proudly supporting correct use of English and grammar on the forums.
    Think before posting – Ask a dumb question and prepare to be owned.

FYI - Internet is always a capital I. Look it up!

world crown chimpokomastr pizzaluvr's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    well DUH!!
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6487-0727-1500-1514
    Honestly. I think all 3 consoles screwed up.

Wii: DVD is a great choice, but the lack of the ability to play DVD movies is kinda silly.

360: HD-DVD. Probably a solid format, but you have to pay extra for the drive, and none of the games for the 360 will use this, since it isn't standard.

PS3: Blu-Ray. Too much focus on this, not enough focus on the love of the games.

This is just my opinion of course, and I don't even have any of these consoles yet. But still, I applaud Nintendo for sticking with what we know and love. DVD. The 360 also uses DVD's, and the games on that look bloody excellent. So forgive me if I don't see the need to push a new format this early. Maybe it would have been more beneficial for Sony to have released the Blu-Ray drives as an optional add-on a few years down the track. I dunno.
    *Image Removed By Moderator*

Reppin' the big N in GR. Think_Tank's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    I will totally agree with Haz on this.

To release a console costing so much with a blu-ray player fitted at this specific time... looks Sony's Trojan Horse to me, carrying the blu-ray into the homes of the unsuspecting public.

Then again why make it sound so evil? Sony simply doesnt want to go through another betamax defeat... thats why they resort to the PS3, relying on the already famous brand name to help them beat the crap out of HD-DVD.

Bear in mind as well that Sony, contrary to nintendo, was never a company committed to gaming... they never cared for the game, they never pushed for innovations... they were just a company that profited from the snes cd case, and saw that the future of gaming was in cdz and bigger storage (a vision that nintendo for some reason didnt take as seriously as they should). All Sony ever cared about was selling as much of the medium as they could; the game itself was always the others' case (contrarily again to ninty, who bases the success of its own consoles on home titles).
    I also speak Yoshi, by the way.

Member #
    Friends
    @ Dark Void - I think you missed the point I was making. I wasn't talking about branding or advertising or innovation. I was trying to highlight the possibility that there is a different motive to the PS3 than what is made public to gamers.

ya i know, im just saying that i dont really care about that other motive as long as i can enjoy games.

------------------------------------------------
    Wii Funds $0.00 and not growing =p
    PS3 funds canceld for a year, funds will now go to my trip to France. besides i have a PSP WAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    X-Box 360 funds $0 and not growing

Member #
    Friends
    I think Blu-Ray is the very reason that the PS3 will flop in the end...HD-DVD will win out and Blu-Ray will be the next betamax, leaving the PS3 a super-expensive game machine/paperweight. I say paperweight because crossplatform games ALWAYS look better for the 360 since its way easier to develop for and PS3 titles are ported from that.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Blu-ray is going to tank. HD-DVD has too much force behind it.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Think_Tank
    Bear in mind as well that Sony, contrary to nintendo, was never a company committed to gaming... they never cared for the game, they never pushed for innovations... they were just a company that profited from the snes cd case, and saw that the future of gaming was in cdz and bigger storage (a vision that nintendo for some reason didnt take as seriously as they should). All Sony ever cared about was selling as much of the medium as they could; the game itself was always the others' case (contrarily again to ninty, who bases the success of its own consoles on home titles).
    Err, the reasons for Nintendo NOT choosing CD's over Carts are:
    1. No loading times or Carts.
    2. More durable (harder to break) carts. CD's get scratched extremely easily - Heck even some not-quite-right laser from the PSX and PS2 cansometims do it.
    3. Carts are extremely difficult and generally less profitable to pirate. CD's were cheap and relatively easy to pirate.

Considering Nintendo has a major investment in the software developing market as well, they really couldn't risk themselves being ripped off. Why do you think Sony doesn't do many first party titles?

Considering most single-disk PSX games COULD fit onto a Cart anyway (Resident Evil 2 - Which was actually 2 disks, and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2), storage space was only an issue for Squaresoft. Even then, most of the data from the Final Fantasy disks were replicated onto the other disks. The main difference is the FMV's - Which if they would have spent more time trying to compress, they'd have probably been okay.

But ye, I agree that Sony is just in it for the money. It's why they're trying to win people over with the cross-over into other multimedia (UMD's for example, as well as MP3 player etc...). Now that he public seem to be ready for online gaming and such (especially when free), Nintendo is bringing people what they want, rather than telling them what they want (You want a blu-ray player with a HDTV and you want more powerful CPU etc...)

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

ABC
    Member #
    Friends
    1929-2278-1848-3419
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    Blu-ray is going to tank. HD-DVD has too much force behind it.
    Really? More movie studios and technology companies are backing Blu-Ray than they ar HD DVD. Here ya go, from engadget.com... not looking too good for HD-DVD.

Studios (movie and game) listed as supporting members

Blu-Ray -

20th Century Fox
    Buena Vista Home Entertainment
    Electronic Arts
    MGM Studios
    Paramount Pictures
    Sony Pictures Entertainment
    The Walt Disney Company
    Vivendi Universal Games
    Warner Bros.

HD DVD -

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
    New Line Cinema
    Paramount Pictures
    The Walt Disney Company
    Universal Studios
    Warner Bros.

It gets better. Much better... read on.

Companies listed as Members of the Board or Managing Members

Blu-Ray -

Apple Computer Corp.
    Dell, Inc.
    Hewlett Packard Company
    Hitachi, Ltd.
    LG Electronics Inc.
    Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
    Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
    Pioneer Corporation
    Royal Philips Electronics
    Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    Sharp Corporation
    Sony Corporation
    TDK Corporation
    Thomson
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Walt Disney Pictures and Television

HD DVD

Memory-Tech Corporation
    NEC Corporation
    Sanyo Electric Co.

^Yup, you read that correctly. Those are the technology companies backing HD DVD. If we were to tally the score right now, Blu-Ray took the cake and the table too. Get the facts, it really might expand your mind a bit.

Here ya go, read the full article, Blu-Ray is far in the lead:

Blu-ray vs HD DVD: State of the Division - Engadget

Not like you can argue against the above FACTS anyway, but here, I will even go as far to see who is doing better financially. As most of us know, the companies that founded Blu-Ray are Sony and Philips Electronics and the ones that founded HD DVD are Toshiba and Hitachi. Here are the stock quotes:

HD DVD

Toshiba Stock at 5.04
    Hitachi Stock at 58.80

Blu Ray

Sony Stock at 39.69
    Philips Stock at 37.42

So you can clearly see there are two VERY stable companies that founded and are investing the most into Blu-Ray while HD-DVD has Hitachi that is actually making some money. Stability is key in the world of electronics. Anyone? Please, I would love to hear what you have to say to the above stated FACTS.
    Last edited by ABC; 12-02-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Ads