Page 224 of 244 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 2435
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What's your pokemon team?

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Alright, replacing Protect with Nasty Plot, Fire Punch with Cross Chop, Grass Knot with Ice Beam, Night Slash with Bulk Up, Drill Peck with Brave Bird and Steel Wing with Spikes.
    Team in Soulsilver so far: (About to fight Falkner)
    Mighty the Bee (Cyndiquil)
    Like Button (Ledyba)
    Jeff the Killer (Sentret)
    One Direction (Geodude)
    Charmy (Kakuna)
    Spearow (Forgot its nickname)
    Got a long way to go!
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 05-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Attachment 11127Attachment 11126

Member #
    Friends
    So... my revised SoulSilver team.
    (Not EV trained, raised during main story. No idea what their IVs are. Also I haven't taught some of these Pokemon the moves listed on here, so it's still an incomplete team. I guess you could say I'm going to use this to beat my friends at school like Esp, but once again, it's still a WIP.)

Charizard (Ability: Blaze, Held Item: Charcoal)
    -Fire Blast
    -Sunny Day
    -Solar Beam
    -Air Slash

Espeon (Ability: Synchronize, Held Item: Either Spell Tag or Twisted Spoon)
    -Psychic
    -Grass Knot
    -Morning Sun
    -Shadow Ball

Lapras (Ability: Water Absorb, Held Item: Nevermeltice)
    -Surf
    -Waterfall
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt

Dragonite (Ability: Inner Focus, No held item; Dragon Fang maybe?)
    -Roost
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake

Heracross (Ability: Guts, Held Item: I believe the Muscleband)
    -Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

Snorlax (Ability: Thick Fat, Held Item: Thinking of either the Focus Sash or Leftovers)
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake

HAK
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    For my first two to go out in Double format.

Zapdos : Focus Sash
    Discharge
    Heatwave

Jolteon : Brightpowder
    Thunderbolt
    Substitute
    Shadow Ball
    Signal Beam
    Proud leader PHANTOM BRAWLERS gaming clan!
    Check out our webs site and ask me if you want to join.
    www.phantom-brawlers.webs.com

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Items which give a STAB bonus are generally frowned upon since... well, they ain't all-that useful. Not 'less you're usin' really high BP moves which have also been boosted by weather (boosts directly to a Pokemon's Attack-stats are irrelevant for these items) and such... While your Charizard is an alright example of that, you're still better off with the gem items. Their effect on damage output is much more pronounced, and will almost always positively impact how many hits the foe can take. Items like Charcoal, not so much. 1.2 is just too small of a boost.

... But since you're playin' on a Gen 4 game, you've no access t' Gems sadly, so other items will have t' do. The only type-boosting item you should even think 'bout keepin' is Charcoal on Charizard... and ya really shouldn't. The reasoning for this is that under harsh sunlight, with Blaze active, Charcoal will add an extra 84 BP to Fire Blast. That's alright, but generally irrelevant since without Charcoal Fire Blast would have a terrifyin' 422 Base Power regardless. If that won't OHKO an opponent, the extra 84 BP won't help either because you're gonna two-hit KO anyways or the opponent is a Kingdra or somethin' else which 4x resists Fire. Outside of weather and Blaze boosting, it only gives an extra 37 BP when hitting neutrally. Pretty poor indeed.

With that said, a better (and more fitting item) would be a Life Orb. A raw 30% boost to all your moves' power in exchange for losin' 10% of your HP every turn. More potent than Charcoal, and also boosts Solarbeam and Air Slash in order t' ensure Charizard can better fight Water-types and help one-shot the bulkier Fighting-types like Machamp. If ya don't like Life Orb's recoil damage, you could use an Expert Belt instead to increase damage output whenever ya hit super-effective. This would generally be for, as mentioned above, helpin' to combat Water-types and Fighting-types. Fire Blast doesn't appreciate the boost as much as Charizard's other moves do, so I'd highly recommend replacin' that Charcoal. Hell, ya could even give it a Wide Lens t' help ensure Charizard goes out in a Blaze of glory (heh) and doesn't miss with that super-charged Fire Blast at a really untimely moment. Anythin' is better than Charcoal.

Espeon could also use a Life Orb, especially since it has Morning Sun t' heal itself up with. 'Course it's very frail as is, so you'd need t' be even more careful with it when usin' an Orb on it. It could hold a Focus Band t' prevent an untimely faint... if you're lucky. Focus Sash could be used in the same way against, albeit only once (the item is used up after the first time; gettin' back to full HP won't let ya use it again). Brightpowder does the same thing as a Focus Band yet better, but it's a cheap as shit item anyone should feel ashamed usin'. If Espeon just barely can't KO a bulky opponent; which happens very often when battling Pokes which aren't specifically EV'd; the oh-so rare Petaya Berry might barely let Espeon win the exchange and retreat back t' it's ball to heal later.

Lapras doesn't really warrant for any particular item. A generically good item like a Scope Lens, Sitrus Berry or Quick Claw would work.

Dragonite could appreciate a Lum berry, allowing it t' Outrage a second time in a row. This would let ya ignore confusion and throw out four hits minimum 'fore switching, which would make Dragon Dancing up and then spammin' Outrage for awhile very deadly. That or block any random status that hits it 'fore the confusion sets in, which is even more useful.

Muscle Band is even more useless than type-enhancing held items, so drop it period. Even a Black Belt is better. Anyways, the Choice items are potent and very useful. In particular, Heracross loves choice items. Choice Band gives it a free 1.5 boost to it's attack, making either of it's STAB moves destructive even when resisted. Heracross also has good enough speed t' use a Choice Scarf, which would give it enough speed t' outrun quite a few 'mons and really catch an opponent off guard. Their Psychic-type they expected to outrun and off your beetle will receive a speedy Megahorn instead, netting you a "free" KO.

If ya don't like gettin' locked into a move but do like the sound'a that 1.5 boost, use a Flame Orb instead. Guts negates the attack drop caused by a Burn, and turns it instead into a 1.5 increase instead. You'll be able t' switch moves freely, but will lose 1/8th of it's HP as a result. It's essentially a Life Orb but even more powerful in the hands of a Guts Pokemon. Bein' Burned after turn 1 also means Heracross instantly becomes immune to even less desirable status, such as severe Poison, Paralysis and especially Sleep. Alternatively, a Wide Lens will sorely help Megahorn and Stone Edge's less than desirable accuracy even moreso than it'd benefit Charizard. The latter missin' is generally a disaster against say, a Flying-type, who will guaranteed destroy Heracross if it doesn't KO first. A Zoom Lens would work quite well too since most slower Pokes; Rock-types and such; generally are afraid of eatin' a Close Combat, whereas the faster ones are often those ya absolutely need t' hit with Megahorn and Stone Edge.

Snorlax's bulk comes from his massive HP, so yeah, Leftovers without a doubt. Ain't a more fittin' item for it anyways lol.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    If you're grading items now as well, I need to iron a few things out in my Platinum team. I had no idea what items to give my Pokemon, but luckily I happened to have 5 Leftovers. However, there may be better things to give these guys.
    Pokemon Platinum:
    Infernape-Life Orb-Na´ve-Blaze
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Stealth Rock
    Staraptor-Leftovers-Docile-Intimidate
    -Brave Bird
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Fly (for convenience)
    Azelf-Leftovers-Relaxed-Levitate
    -Psychic
    -Flamethrower
    -Nasty Plot
    -Grass Knot
    Gyarados-Choice Band-Na´ve-Intimidate
    -Waterfall (nb4 Aqua Tail vs. Waterfall argument)
    -Avalanche
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    Magnezone-Leftovers-Timid-Magnet Pull
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flash Cannon
    -Magnet Rise
    -Thunder Wave
    Rayquaza-Leftovers-Bashful-Air Lock
    -Ice Beam
    -Earthquake
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt

If ban list is enforced, Rayquaza is replace with this:
    Flygon-Leftovers-Hasty-Levitate
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Crunch
    -Roost

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    ... But since you're playin' on a Gen 4 game, you've no access t' Gems sadly, so other items will have t' do.
    If I did play this on a Gen 5 game, what kind of held items would you recommend, assuming I used the same team as this?

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Redreavus View Post
    If I did play this on a Gen 5 game, what kind of held items would you recommend, assuming I used the same team as this?
    Well, he'd probably reccomend the gems, for starters, considering he's already specifically mentioned them. Unless there's some other, better items that 5th gen introduced, at least.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by Espmaster_ View Post
    If you're grading items now as well, I need to iron a few things out in my Platinum team. I had no idea what items to give my Pokemon, but luckily I happened to have 5 Leftovers. However, there may be better things to give these guys.
    Pokemon Platinum:
    Infernape-Life Orb-Na´ve-Blaze
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Stealth Rock

Protip: consider givin' Infernape Fire Blast over Flare Blitz. That way it can mixed attack and handle quite a few more defensive Pokes.

Staraptor-Leftovers-Docile-Intimidate
    -Brave Bird
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Fly (for convenience)

Team @ Leftovers is hilariously more effective than ya'd think, but it really is: well, on more defensive teams. The only bulky Pokes on your team are Gyarados and Magnezone, neither of which have really high HP though. Leftovers is better than type-enhancing items in all situations, but you're right in that ya can do better than Lefties on most'a these Pokes.

Staraptor does have Intimidate like Gyarados but doesn't have the defenses nor resistances Gyara does. Furthermore, it has two moves which hamper it's bulk. Leftovers does help deal with Brave Bird recoil, but if not used alongside Roost it's not gonna really do much. Maybe you'll get in an extra Brave Bird, maybe not. Staraptors want either a Choice Band or Life Orb t' maximize it's damage output. The latter option is best since Staraptor very much likes t' switch between it's moves, 'specially with U-turn to escape from a slow foe which switches in to soak hits via resistances.

If ya do give it a Life Orb, you definitely want t' teach it Roost over Fly. Convenience be damned, Roost will come in handy quite a bit.

Azelf-Leftovers-Relaxed-Levitate
    -Psychic
    -Flamethrower
    -Nasty Plot
    -Grass Knot

Azelf is another great candidate for a Life Orb. An Expert Belt would be alright as well, though I still recommend a Life Orb.

Gyarados-Choice Band-Na´ve-Intimidate
    -Waterfall (nb4 Aqua Tail vs. Waterfall argument)
    -Avalanche
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

Waterfall > Aqua Tail

Avalanche and Stone Edge have relatively redundant coverage t'gether. Gyarados isn't scared of Bug-types nor Ice-types after all, so replace Stone Edge with somethin'. Payback lets it smack Ghost and Psychic-types, although many'a the Pokes you'd want t' hit you'll have to Payback when they switch in. Otherwise Gengar/Starmie/etc. will just Thunderbolt ya into oblivion. It's a better option than Stone Edge, just not by much.

Magnezone-Leftovers-Timid-Magnet Pull
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flash Cannon
    -Magnet Rise
    -Thunder Wave

lol magnet rise

Magnezone is a powerful Poke who should be attackin', but I s'pose it's movepool is sparse as is, so T-wave is fine. S'pose it's particularly useful for paralyzing a non-Ground-type Poke on the switch which wants to Earthquake ya, then usin' Magnet Rise.

And on that note, you might be better off usin' Substitute instead'a Magnet Rise. Substitute is a fantastic move overall which protects from status and makes prediction a cinch t' deal with, whereas Magnet Rise only allows Magnezone t' dodge Ground-type attacks. No versatility. If ya miscalculate how fast a foe is, ya might just Magnet Rise too late as well. Substitute has good synergy with Leftovers too, so I'd recommend the move. Easing prediction is particularly useful since ya don't want to T-wave a Fighting-type with Guts switching in/a Ground-type, resulting in a wasted turn. Substitute lets ya react accordingly to what they bring in without error. And when ya've got a 4x weakness, ya generally want t' avoid errors.

That, and you've four team mates that have a Ground immunity. If ya don't want Magnezone to eat an Earthquake, switching is an easy solution.

Rayquaza-Leftovers-Bashful-Air Lock
    -Ice Beam
    -Earthquake
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt

Rayquaza is the strongest Poke on your team both overall and offensively; by a long shot. It needs a Life Orb, period.

BoltBeam is useless on Rayquaza. Give it STAB (not Dragon Claw, Rayquaza hits like a ****in' apocalypse, you want high BP moves like Outrage and Draco Meteor t' compliment this) and perhaps a stat-up move. Dragon Dance Rayquaza will win ya games for sure. With Dragon Dance, you'll want Outrage/Earthquake/Fire Blast or Overheat. A boosted Earthquake will do higher damage than Flamethrower t' everything but Skarmory and Bronzong due to their immunity, so you'll want t' be sure you OHKO 'em. Overheat is perfect for this job, although Fire Blast is still just as powerful and can be used multiple times without switchin'. I'd personally recommend Fire Blast.

If ya don't want Dragon Dance, Outrage/Draco Meteor/Earthquake/Flamethrower or Fire Blast (ya don't want Overheat alongside Draco Meteor) will wreck things just as well, albeit you won't be sweeping as much. Opening with Draco Meteor then goin' into Outrage is sheer destruction when backed by a Life Orb.

If ban list is enforced, Rayquaza is replace with this:
    Flygon-Leftovers-Hasty-Levitate
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Crunch
    -Roost

Flygon is surprisingly weak offensively, so Dragon Claw will do pathetic damage. Give it Outrage or Draco Meteor so it can actually do somethin' when Earthquake won't, or simply attack with an extra oomph when EQ's power just barely won't cut it.

Crunch doesn't really do much for Flygon longevity or hurtin' the foe... well, unless you're specifically targeting Pokes with Levitate. Neutral Outrage still does even more damage than a super-effective Crunch though, and the Psychic/Steel types which do resist Outrage just eat an EQ instead. Since you have a recovery move, Substitute over Crunch would work amazingly with Roost and Lefties. Substitute lets it stall out low PP moves; including Ice Beam and 'specially Blizzard; if it's faster than the foe, and lets ya more safely use Outrage. With a Substitute up it's even perfectly safe to risk attackin' after becoming Confused. I'd highly recommend you give Flygon Substitute regardless of whether or not Magnezone has it, as your team is mighty Offensive. Flygon would add some balance with it's ability t' block status with Substitute and heal up repeatedly to continue soaking hits and Substituting some more. T'is what Flygon does best anyways IMO: abuse it's high-BP STAB moves and refuse t' die so it can continue t' abuse said moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redreavus View Post
    Just Gems really, Gen 5 didn't introduce any other particularly potent held items... 'sides from Eviolite, but it ain't like your team can use such an item. Nor would it want to.
    Last edited by Splash_King; 06-04-2013 at 01:41 AM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Dragon Claw sucks! IT'S SUUUUCKS!
    I have actually given Infernape's Life Orb to Staraptor and given Infernape a Focus Sash instead. I'm probably going to re-breed Infernape anyways, as at lv. 75 neither of its attack stats are above 200. (Attack is 199, Sp. Attack is 187.)

I also randomly deleted Nasty Plot for Shadow Ball and gave Azelf Choice Specs, but this could be easily changed back if it doesn't work out.

The whole point of Magnet Rise was so that I could use Earthquake in Double Battles, but perhaps Substitute would be better anyway. As for underestimating the opponent's speed, I've had surprisingly little trouble with that, but you can never be too careful in Pokemon.
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 06-04-2013 at 06:55 PM.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Ah, so that's why almost your entire team has a Ground immunity. Every Poke on your team with Earthquake is faster than Magnezone, so Magnet Rise might not be all-that worth it at times. It's obviously the better move for Doubles, whereas Substitute is wholly better in Singles.

Also, a suggestion: raise an entirely different team dedicated to Doubles. Ya don't have to considerin' four Ground immunities and two intimidate users already make this team more effective in Doubles than the average casual battler's Singles team,

Anyways, Specs Azelf works fine, although when Ubers are banned you'll be without a stat-up sweeper as a result of the item change. That aside, ya could consider usin' Explosion. Azelf's damn-good Attack stat makes it pose a threat even when it's one tap away from bein' knocked out with Explosion at the ready. Opposing Psychic-types should generally fear an Azelf without Shadow Ball anyways, as either Flamethrower or Grass Knot can deal with Pokes like Metagross or Slowbro whereas boosted Psychic will still wreck defensively-weak Pokes like Alakazam anyways. But t'is just somethin' to consider, as Shadow Ball is still definitely useful against plenty'a Ghost and Psychic types not hit by the other coverage moves. It's all a matter of your preferences.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Ads