Thread: What's your pokemon team?

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    DDoS attacks.

'Karp sure as shit should be banned, but no, 'course it ain't. All'a those competitive battlers on Smogon have their heads far up their asses and thus, you have Blaziken without Speed Boost in Ubers instead'a the Splash master. I'm curious as t' what the hell they spend their time thinkin' on, and why they think it's more important than Tackling the 'Karp issue.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    What's DDoS mean?

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    All'a those competitive battlers on Smogon have their heads far up their asses and thus, you have Blaziken without Speed Boost in Ubers instead'a the Splash master.
    As little right as Blazekin has to be Uber without Speed Boost, the only reason Blazekin was banned as a whole is because Smognites (to my understanding) are terrified of specific combinations of Pokémon/Ability/Item or whatever being banned, as they worry it might become a norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redreavus View Post
    What's DDoS mean?
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DDoS_attack.html

Also, I made a new team for Competitive play, just in case I haven't posted enough here yet. I'll probably actually use this one. It's sort of a pseudo-rain team.
    Tentacruel
    Black Sludge/Rain Dish/Bold
    252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Scald
    -Magic Coat

Politoed
    Leftovers/Drizzle/Bold
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Encore
    -Hypnosis

Ferrothorn
    Leftovers/Relaxed
    252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect
    -Power Whip

Gengar
    Life Orb/Timid
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Pain Split

Gliscor
    Toxic Orb/Poison Heal/Impish
    248 HP / 24 Def / 236 Spe
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Earthquake
    -Taunt

Latios
    Life Orb/Timid
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Draco Meteor
    -Surf
    -Roost
    -Psyshock

Most of the team revolves around Politoed and Tentacruel, either helping those two do their job or benefiting from Rain. (Or both, in the case of Ferrothorn.)
    Anything obviously wrong with this one?
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 07-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Attachment 11127Attachment 11126

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Aye, I'm pretty sure that's the reasoning behind it. Banning certain combinations is a very slippery slope in any competitive game. 'Course, sometimes it's necessary (ohai swift swim).

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Hmmm.... Looking back at this team, I'm not sure Gliscor would work that well on a rain team. The reason I put it on there is because it worked well with Tentacruel, but if that's the case I probably shouldn't be using SubPass Gliscor. I wonder what better Pokémon/movesets I could use...
    Also, Latios is completely out of place on the team, as it's the only Pokémon (other than Sub-Passing Gliscor) that's meant for sweeping rather than stalling. I think this team still needs a bit of work...
    Oh yeah, and Gengar too, but that's just there for Spin-trapping.
    Edit: I've been thinking it might be better if I run a Disable Gengar instead of a substitute one, and replace Latios with Jirachi. Also, I've changed Gliscor's move set to this:
    Spoiler Alert!

I mainly want Disable Gengar because I'm scared of Conkeldurr taking advantage of Toxic Spikes to active Guts. Even though most Conkeldurrs run Payback (or at least Stone Edge,) if I had a Disable Gengar I could shut it down and switch in my Latios/Jirachi or force it to switch.
    Also, who should I designate as lead?
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 07-03-2013 at 10:26 AM.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    'Ey, don't forget 'bout Latias. SubRoost with the always useful Dragon-type STAB/free STAB on Surf makes her very useful on Rain-stall. A huge support movepool as well if you'd rather have somethin' else instead'a Substitute. A defensive Dragon-type is also very helpful t' Rain-stall thanks to them resistances to opposing Water moves, Electric and Grass. Latias in specific since she's a fantastic Special wall.

... Remind me why teachin' Latias Roost is recommended over Recover. The former requires shards whereas the latter only costs a Heart Scale/leveling up.

Obviously Politoed is the "designated" lead... and I put that in quotations since there ain't dedicated leads no more. Lead with whomever ya think works best for the situation. You'll generally always lead with 'Toed, but if your opponent has blatantly obvious counters to Politoed ('specially ones that can check the rest of your team) as well as a way t' change the weather, you'll want t' make an adjustment in your lead choice for that particular battle.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    'Ey, don't forget 'bout Latias. SubRoost with the always useful Dragon-type STAB/free STAB on Surf makes her very useful on Rain-stall. A huge support movepool as well if you'd rather have somethin' else instead'a Substitute. A defensive Dragon-type is also very helpful t' Rain-stall thanks to them resistances to opposing Water moves, Electric and Grass. Latias in specific since she's a fantastic Special wall.

... Remind me why teachin' Latias Roost is recommended over Recover. The former requires shards whereas the latter only costs a Heart Scale/leveling up.

Obviously Politoed is the "designated" lead... and I put that in quotations since there ain't dedicated leads no more. Lead with whomever ya think works best for the situation. You'll generally always lead with 'Toed, but if your opponent has blatantly obvious counters to Politoed ('specially ones that can check the rest of your team) as well as a way t' change the weather, you'll want t' make an adjustment in your lead choice for that particular battle.
    Alright, good idea. So I'll have Politoed (regular lead,) Tentacruel and Ferrothorn, Disable Gengar, Defensive Gliscor and Latias.
    Edit:
    I've been thinking this for Latias:
    Spoiler Alert!

Edit again: and this for Gengar:
    Spoiler Alert!

I tweaked the set a bit to turn Gengar more flat-out offensive, and stuck Thunder on there for no real reason.
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 07-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Screens aren't very useful on a defensive team. Not 'less you also have Roost somewhere on the set... which would be a good idea, as Latias is easily the best Special wall on your team. Not a Poke you would ever want t' throw away or just use screens once or twice. And even then, Light Screen is kind'a overkill and Reflect isn't really good for Latias anyways.

... Although Light Screen isn't overkill when you're lackin' Sp.D EVs. Latias' Sp.D is great, but ya need to invest in it for that to pay off.

Speakin' of, quite a few of your EV sets don't seem defensively geared enough. Obviously Pass'Scor wants Speed, but only when it's not running Rock Polish/is passing offensive boosts. 'Less the purpose of those speed EVs are to let it Taunt slower Taunters (which I personally wouldn't be concerned about, in all honesty), I'd invest in Defense. And speakin' of your Gliscor, Protect is just plain necessary IMO. Stalling an opponent's Poison is a necessity, but it's even more useful for Gliscor since it gets a free turn of Poison Heal recovery. SubProtect @ Poison Heal is a really nasty strategy since, if ya get a Substitute up, ya can indefinitely Protect and Substitute. Conkeldurr's Mach Punch @ Guts won't be breakin' a 252/252 Gliscor any time soon. And Stone Edge isn't a worry since you'll be faster.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Alright, so
    Spoiler Alert!

Or would you recommended a full 252/252 investment for Latias?
    Last edited by Espmaster_; 07-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Ads