Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pokemon of the Week: Hoenn!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    PotW is decided by a random generator, no favors. >.> ... Unless it's a holiday themed poke/someone's birthday.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Sorry for the DP, but we need a PotW update!

Alright, the next Hoenn PotW is...!

http://tinyurl.com/cs3egw

Spoiler Alert!

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    4470-1422-8188-7606
    I lol'd at the Capt. Falcon roll. Anyways, Sableye. I've never used one except to fill in the Pokedex, it was a Sapphire exclusive so I didn't see much of it back then. Obviously Spiritomb is better and the same type. That ability "Stall" is ... weird, but I can see the use in it for something like Revenge or Payback. Pathetic stats though, preventing it from effectively taking attacks and using Payback. Another sucky pokemon of the week, lol.
    Official Video Recorder and Editor for the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. Brawl on WiiChat? Join the League now!

SSBB FC: 2105-8307-2555
    MKWii FC: 1547-5875-3678

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Oh don't doubt yourself GiGi, you are indeed pathetic. You can go now. Bye. ;D Oh, and learn to spell "pathetic" while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by real-o View Post
    Another sucky pokemon of the week, lol.
    That's the random number generator for you. ... I have a terrible feeling Latios/Lucario/Pika evolution line won't be chosen for ages. -.-;
    Last edited by Splash_King; 04-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by real-o View Post
    I lol'd at the Capt. Falcon roll. Anyways, Sableye. I've never used one except to fill in the Pokedex, it was a Sapphire exclusive so I didn't see much of it back then. Obviously Spiritomb is better and the same type. That ability "Stall" is ... weird, but I can see the use in it for something like Revenge or Payback. Pathetic stats though, preventing it from effectively taking attacks and using Payback. Another sucky pokemon of the week, lol.
    I'd like you to say that to my Sableye. It's one of my absolute favorite Pokemon.

When you look at Sableye, you just think wtfz? The one thing Sableye has going for it is it's oddity. On the numerous times I've used Sableye, my opponent has no idea how to approach it. So they send in some random sweeper just to take care of it, when they get burned from Will-o-Wisp. They're forced to switch then, just to get Knocked Off so now they're ticked that something so stupid is doing work. You can't wall it with Blissey, it risks getting Knocked Off and can't touch it with SToss.

My Sableye has been EVd to sustain a Draco Meteor from nonSpecs Salamence. Thus if I get OHKO'd, I know exactly what kind it is and don't have to play the guessing game with it. And if it doesn't OHKO, I get the luxury of using Recover and the opponent is back where they started.

Throw this with the fact that Sableye can just Stoss things around with no trouble, it's funny like mad. Lucario ain't got nothing on me.
    ===

Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    -Robert Frost

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    In short, Sableye's suprise value is very good; that's only against someone inexperienced/knows 0% of anything about UU. I think a lot of pokemon can pull off Knock Off with better value than Sableye, although I can't think of any other users of WoW and Knock Off ATM...

I'd say the main selling point of Sableye is it's suprise value, though. Knocking off from the get-go is probably the thing you should of done in our battle btw, Wuddle. :P Instead of finding out if my 'Mence had specs the hard way, you could of seen my item and disabled me right there, lol. With the item gone, I doubt CB mence/DD mence/mixed mence could OHKO Sableye anyways, so you'd be free to burn it if it's physical, crippling it to a nearly a 100% useless state.

EDIT: Oh wow... only Sableye and Banette can pull off WoW/Knock Off. Sableye is arguably the better user of it, so I can see Sableye's support merit. Suprise value AND originality... I underestimate Sableye; it's still not all that good, though.
    Last edited by Splash_King; 04-07-2009 at 12:29 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Banette doesn't get Recover. Banette also doesn't get massacred by Night Slash/Crunch.

And, you have to consider the environment Sableye should be in. I use Sableye in OU because it's funny as hell. But with the new NU list up (Which if you see it, the Pokes are quite hilarious, there's a bunch of powerhouses in their.) only two Pokemon in NU can absorb a Will-O-Wisp. Somethings getting burned. Although there are more Aromatherapy users, they risk getting Knocked Off, etc.

Anyways, I understand that you unfortunately didn't get a chance to see Sableye at it's finest. But you can take it from me, it's the funniest and greatest Pokemon to ever use.
    ===

-Robert Frost

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    LOL, I just checked Smogon for the hell of it, and Regigigas is in NU. I can certainly say "WTF?!". Regigigas = top tier in NU... that's just not right, lol. So is Lickilicky and other scary sweepers. I'd rather have an unestablished tier than that.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    It's based on usage. No one ever uses Rampardos and Regigigas. The sweepers in there are certainly scary, but there's a reason why their in there. Too fragile, not as good as others, thus not used.
    ===

-Robert Frost

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Yes I know, tiers based on usage is stupidity, though. It keeps tiers completely off balance at times, especially at the beginning of a tier's creation. It certainly keeps things... lively, but balance is important for the game, no?

I can see the plus side too, though; since the metagame constantly fluctuates and usage rates rise and plummet at a much faster rate for an unbalanced tier, it creates a more interesting and original experience each battle. I'm one more for balance, though.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Ads