READ BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY CHALLENGE
The following Rules apply to all Challenges, unless specified otherwise.
1. Trading for Pokemon is NOT allowed, unless the Pokemon in question is traded as an unhatched egg. These Pokemon may not be ones you can already obtain in the game you're playing, unless the species only be caught incredibly late in the game. For example, Durant in Black and White or Larvitar in Gold and Silver.
2. All Challenges for Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold and Soul Silver end after you've collected your 16th badge. Defeating Red or the Elite Four a second time is unnecessary.
3. For all Challenges wherein you use a team of two Pokemon or more, you may only use one of each species.
4. For all Challenges wherein you use a team of two Pokemon or more, you can't use two Pokemon from the same evolutionary line. However, you may still use Pokemon that are a part of a split evolutionary line, such as using a Slowbro and Slowking or Jolteon and Glaceon.
5. Any Challenge you wish to start must be posted and formally accepted by Splash_King (myself) in order to be applicable in joining the Hall of Fame, once your Challenge(s) are complete.
6. This is quite an obvious rule: cheating devices are in no way allowed. Usage of one will result in your Challenge being invalidated. You'll also be permanently expelled from the thread. NO EXCEPTIONS
7. When playing through your Challenge, please periodically post in the thread with an update on your progress. These updates can be any post length from just a simple list to spinning off paragraphs of immense proportions. Feel free to embellish your updates with whatever special text or wild and epic story-telling fashion you'd desire.
8. You may catch any Pokemon for usage as an HM slave, regardless of any Challenge's rules. HM slaves may never be brought into battle. If an HM slave(s) are the last remaining Pokemon in your party, you must let them faint. The only exception to this rule is if you get into a Double Battle during a Single Challenge; however, an HM slave's turn must be used to attack your Challenge's sole Pokemon.
9. You may break any and every Challenge's rules in order to catch a Shiny Pokemon. Breaking rules to ensure catching a Shiny is wholly encouraged.
10. If at any time you hatch a Shiny Pokemon egg traded from another game, DO NOT SAVE BEFORE CHECKING IT'S SUMMARY! There is a 50% chance it's status as a Shiny was generated from the breeder's ID, meaning it would not remain Shiny after it hatches. If your Shiny doesn't retain it's shininess on the summary, simply turn off your game and return this egg to the breeder for them to hatch, wherein they will return the Shiny to you. You may use this Shiny in your Challenge, despite it not hatching on your game.
11. Not a rule so much as a guideline: always keep a small stock of Pokeballs on you. No one wants to miss catching a Shiny solely due to being ill prepared.
12. To become a Champion, the following requirements must be met:
- Read these walls of rule-text. :P
- Complete every single Challenge type and enter each individual Hall of Fame, bar the Battle Tower Challenges.
- Complete three Combined Challenges total.
- Complete at least one Combined Challenge composed of three or more Challenge rulesets.
- Complete either two Combined Nuzlocke Challenges, or a single Combined Nuzlocke Challenge composed of two (or more) rulesets.
Note that Combined Nuzlocke Challenges do NOT count towards either requirements concerning the typical Combined Challenges, unless you have already filled the quota for the final requirement of completing Nuzlocke Challenges.
No Items ChallengeRules:
Credit to Neosquid for the concept
Go through the game without using any items unnecessary for progressing through the story. What will YOU do without an infinite supply of Revives?
1. The only items allowed are those necessary to progress the story and obtaining Pokemon, i.e. key items, Pokeballs, evolutionary items, etc. Any items unrequired (TMs, potions, hold items, etc.) are not allowed.
2. Rule #1 takes priority over any other Challenge's rules regarding items in the case of a Combined Challenge. i.e. TMs are not allowed for Moveset Challenges, and hold items are banned for the Battle Tower Challenge.
3. Each HM can only be known by one Pokemon in your party at all times.
4. Your Pokemon may NOT know any moves which require usage of item(s). As such, Pokemon you breed are not allowed to inherit TM moves or other moves which require an item, such as Volt Tackle. Furthermore, your Pokemon may not learn Tutor moves which cost anything (items, game corner coins, battle points, etc.). Only free Tutor moves may be learned.
5. You are not allowed to turn off the power, reset, etc. if you White Out/are on the verge of whiting out. The Challenge itself is meant to simulate a Nuzlocke Challenge's difficulty on a less permanent level. Thus, to summarize your skill, at the end of your Challenge you will state how many times you whited out. The less, the better. You are also not allowed to turn off the game unless you have just then saved.
6. If items necessary to progress have multiple uses, you may only use it for the purpose of progressing the game. i.e. the Pokeflute: you can and must use it to wake up any Snorlax blocking your path. You may not however, use it to wake up any other sleeping Pokemon (inside or outside of battle).
7. The following items may be used without penalty in a No Item Challenge: your Bike, Everstone(s) and all varieties of Repels.
No Items Hall of Fame:
User - Game - White Outs
1. Splash_King, Fire Red, 0
2. kajira, Leaf Green, 0
3. bou0010, White, 1
Go through the game using solely one type of Pokemon. You'll learn what it's like for poor ol' Brock and all those Squirtle and Bulbasaur he deals with...
1. You may only use one type of Pokemon i.e. only Grass Pokemon, only Fire Pokemon, etc. You can't use one Fire and one Grass.
2. If your starter is not the same type you chose, you may use your starter of choice until obtaining a Pokemon of your Challenge's type.
3. You may use HM slaves of any type.
4. Dual-type Pokemon are allowed, so long as one of their types is the Challenge's designated type.
5. Pokemon with Alternate Forms are NOT allowed to change form if they lose their type associated with your Challenge. i.e if taking a Ghost Monotype Challenge in Black or White, you may not change Rotom into any of it's alternate forms, as it then loses it's Ghost type.
Monotype Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Type
1. RockerJ, White, Bug
2. kajira, Black, Dark
3. Splash_King, Soul Silver, Psychic
4. Blondiemon, Diamond, Rock
5. lucktown, Soul Silver, Ice
Go through a game with a team picked by your fellow Challengers. The ultimate Pokegrab bag Challenge. The first six people to post Pokemon are the Pokemon you use. Each poster may choose up to two Pokemon if the Challenger wishes to use five Pokemon or more for their team.
1. Do NOT assign a useless Pokemon, i.e. Feebas (MAGIKARP AIN'T USELESS, YO!)
2. Do NOT assign a Pokemon already chosen.
3. Do NOT assign unevolved Pokemon.
4. Please specify how many Pokemon you want your team to be comprised of. If less than 5, posters may not choose more than 1 Pokemon for that Scramble Challenge.
5. Please specify whether or not you can trade either with yourself (using two systems) or over Wi-fi.
Scramble Hall of Fame:
User - Game
1. kajira, Sapphire
2. bou0010, Black 2
3. lucktown, Soul Silver
Go through a game using only a single Pokemon for battling. Battle Hall, anyone?
1. If your single Pokemon is knocked out, you must either let yourself White Out or turn off the game and restart where you last saved.
2. You may use any other Pokemon until you get your specified Pokemon.
3. You are only allowed to trade a Pokemon over if it is not obtainable within your game, and if you do trade it over, it must be an egg.
4. In the case of needing to obtain Pokemon to complete your Pokedex, such as to obtain HM 05 Flash in Fire Red/Leaf Green, you may ignore any and all rules in order to capture the necessary Pokemon (i.e. using your HM slaves in battle).
Single Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Pokemon
1. rseradish, Platinum, Bibarel
2. bou0010, Sapphire, Swampert
3. kajira, Heart Gold, Feraligatr
4. Koshi, Heart Gold, Rampardos
Go through the game without evolving any of the Pokemon on your team. Emulate Ash and his stupid Pikachu, minus the stupid part.
1. Players must NOT evolve their Pokemon under any circumstance.
2. If a player catches a Pokemon that has evolved before but can still evolve, such as Nidorino, you may still use it on your team so long as they don't evolve it further.
3. You may NOT catch or use any Pokemon that can evolve no further.
Unevolved Hall of Fame:
User - Game
1. kajira, Black
You pick your team, but everyone else will pick these Pokemon's movesets. Pokegrab bag #2; makes for a fantastic "Combined Challenge" with Scramble!
1. There has to be at least two attacking, damaging moves per Pokemon. Also, at least one damaging move (of each) of the Pokemon's type(s) must be in the Moveset before any other moves are included.
2. Please do NOT assign useless or ineffective moves i.e. Splash or Charm. Also, please do not assign multiple moves that are obviously not as good as other obtainable moves, i.e. Ember instead of Flame Burst. Moves that use a Pokemon's (notably) weaker attacking stat are also not allowed, i.e. giving a Rampardos Special attacks or giving an Alakazam Physical attacks.
3. Please do NOT assign more than one move with 70% accuracy or lower per Pokemon's moveset.
4. Please do NOT assign egg moves unless the Challenger states they have a way to breed Pokemon with said egg moves.
5. You may only assign any specific TM to one Pokemon only. This rule does NOT apply to Black and White 1/2 Challenges, since TMs don't break in 5th Generation games.
6. You may NOT assign more than two damaging moves of the same type.
7. Challengers may use ANY move in place of ones they are required to learn for the Challenge, but cannot yet learn. i.e. If Dragonite's moveset requires Hyper Beam, but it cannot learn it yet for whatever reason, any move may replace Hyper Beam until it has the chance to learn it. As soon as a Pokemon can learn an assigned move, it must. For example, if you get the Shadow Ball TM before your Gengar learns Shadow Ball by level up, you MUST use the TM (unless the Challenge is being done on a non-5th Generation game and another Pokemon requires the TM in question).
Moveset Hall of Fame:
User - Game
1. kajira, Pearl
2. bou0010, Sapphire
Complete the game in as little time as possible. A simple but wholly competitive Challenge for the speed runner in all of us.
1. Trades are not allowed to obtain Pokemon under any circumstance. However, Pokemon that evolve via trades are allowed to be traded to another game and back for evolution. Evolution items may also be traded in from another game.
2. The following rule applies to Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold and Soul Silver only: after beating the Elite Four for the first time, submit your playtime. After collecting your 16th badge, submit your playtime again.
Speed Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Play Time
1. Real-o, Gold, 7:19/9:31
2. Elmo =], Silver, 7:57/10:07
3. NUGG3T, Blue, 6:16
4. Splash_King, Blue, 3:53
5. bou0010, Sapphire, 5:06
6. bou0010, Black 2, 6:24
7. Azrael19, Emerald, 7:36
8. bou0010, Sapphire, 3:38
9. kajira, Black, 6:22
Challengers combine two or more of any Challenge's rulesets for an even harder Challenge. i.e. Scramble and Monotype, Speed and No Items, etc. Ramp up the difficulty, step up the fun.
1. The same rules for each Challenge still apply. For example, if you pick a scramble and monotype, you must obey both Challenge's rules at the same time. If any rules conflict with each other or you've any questions, please private message me on the matter.
2. Speed Challenges are not applicable to be part of a Combined Challenge.
Combined Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Challenges
1. Splash_King, Platinum, Single/Unevolved (Scyther)
2. Splash_King, Black, Scramble/Monotype (Dragon)
3. Mythrignoc, Red, Scramble/Monotype (Ground)
4. n0on3, Black, Scramble/Monotype (Grass)
5. n0on3, Black Scramble/Monotype (Bug)
6. n0on3, Black, No Items/Scramble/Monotype (Steel), 17 White Outs
7. OTheFool, Ruby, Single/Moveset (Swampert)
8. TMankey, Heart Gold, Scramble/Unevolved
9. bou0010, Black 2, Moveset/Monotype (Fire)
10. Azrael19, Emerald, Scramble/Monotype (Psychic)
11. Blondiemon, Silver, Single/Unevolved (Rattata)
12. lucktown, Soul Silver, Scramble/Moveset/Monotype (Flying)
Battle Tower Combined ChallengeRules:
Credit to Strype McClaine for the concept.
The only competitive battling Challenge, and without a doubt, incredibly difficult. This Challenge is done by combining another or multiple other Challenges' teams/rules, with trying to get as many Battle Tower wins as you can.
1. The rules for the Challenges you picked are all still active for the Challenge; however, trading, moveset, and item restrictions (no trading in Pokemon you can already catch, no trading in TMs, no trading in any items, etc.) for every Challenge are lifted.
2. For the Scramble Challenge, you still choose one of your Pokemon. Just as rule two, since you're using only a team of three or four, only the first two posters decide the Pokemon to be used for singles, and first three for doubles.
3. For the Single Pokemon Challenge, the rest of your team must be underleveled and useless. Good luck in Doubles.
Battle Tower Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Challenges
Remember, the battle tower was present in Pokemon Crystal and most games after, so Crystal, Generation 3, Generation 4, and Generation 5 games are all allowed!
Combined Nuzlocke Challenge...
Credit to n0on3 for the concept.
Easily the most difficult, this Challenge is essentially a Nuzlocke Challenge, but with even more agonizing rules and limitations than the typical Nuzlocke playthrough. The real Challenge for anyone who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was...
... 'sides me, 'course.
If you've never done a Nuzlocke Challenge, it is highly recommend you do the standard fare Nuzlocke first by going here, before attempting this harder version. All five rules of the normal Nuzlocke (listed in the above link) apply to every Combined Challenge combination, unless noted otherwise.
----------Rules that apply to every Nuzlocke Combined Challenge:
1. You may only obtain six Pokemon. You are allowed to obtain more than six only in order to get HM slaves.
2. If your six original Pokemon team faints, even if you have more Pokemon in your party/box, you lose the Challenge and must either give up the Challenge, or erase your save file and try again from the beginning.
3. Whenever you are leveling up Pokemon that have just hatched, you may disregard any and every rule that affect these Pokemon, until they reach level 10.
4. If you happen to fail your Challenge and attempt to try again, keep track of how many times you've lost. If you manage to beat your Challenge, remember to post how many tries it took to finally obtain that triumphant victory.
There are no special rules for this combination.
1. Pokemon you encounter that are NOT of the type for your Challenge, do not count as the single Pokemon that you are allowed to obtain in a location. Therefore, you can run from/KO them without penalty.
2. Pokemon that are NOT of the type for your Challenge may be caught as use for HM slaves ONLY.
Since you cannot choose Pokemon during a Nuzlocke Challenge, Scramble/Nuzlocke is not an applicable combination for a Challenge.
1. If your single main Pokemon is knocked out, you lose the Challenge and must either give up or erase your save file and try again. You are NOT allowed to re-obtain your single Pokemon, and resume the Challenge.
2. Rule 1 and Rule 4 of the standard Nuzlocke Challenge are to be ignored.
3. You may choose your single Pokemon, be it obtained in-game or by trading an egg. This is the only Nuzlocke Challenge where choosing your Pokemon is allowed. A Single/Nuzlocke is the only Combined Nuzlocke compatible with a Scramble/Nuzlocke, meaning you may do a Single/Scramble/Nuzlocke Challenge.
1. Pokemon you encounter that are NOT applicable to an Unevolved Challenge (rule 5) do not count as the single Pokemon that you are allowed to obtain in a location. Therefore, you are allowed to run from/KO them without penalty.
1. Every time you obtain a Pokemon that will be used on your team of six, post here what that Pokemon is and ask for it to receive a moveset. Once you have obtained six Pokemon, do not ask for movesets regarding any Pokemon you obtain after the original six (i.e. HM slaves). Please do NOT advance much further into the game if you don't receive a moveset quickly.
1. You have to be a masochistic idiot to try this.
Nuzlocke Hall of Fame:
User - Game - Challenges - Attempts
1. n0on3, Black, No Items/Single, 4
2. Splash_King, Black, No Items/Single, 1
3. Splash_King, Soul Silver, No Items/Scramble/Single/Unevolved, 1
4. Caboose767, Black, Single, 1