While picking out games, I saw black/white2 and was tempted. Convince me to buy this. Pros, cons, and all that cal. Preferably the changes from 3rd gen to now.
Off the top'a my head...
- Battle mechanics are better in every way imaginable. Obviously that's mainly important t' just competitive battlin', but it's still valid. In Gen 3, a shitton of Pokes were practically useless because their movepools were shittastically shallow or they had a type that was physical but only had a good special attack stat (and vice verse). That's been fixed; movepools have been updated and the "Physical-Special" split makes it so a Poke like Gyarados or Sneasel is not longer SOL. In short, you'll be able t' use whatever Pokes ya want without 'em bein' mind-numbingly terrible.
- Gen 3 has trumpets. Too many trumpets. BW does not... but srsly, BW's soundtrack is pretty decent IMO. Haven't found many Poketunes as catch any the BW ones I like since Pokemon's retro days. Wouldn't say it's a major selling point, but 'ey, good VGM is good.
- Gen 3 has absolutely no form of Wi-Fi; Gen 4 'n onward lets ya trade 'n battle over them wondrous internets. Just imagine: I'll be there t' give you all the Magikarp ya want.
- Here's an obvious one: a gaggle of new species have been added since ya left the series. It'd be absurd if you couldn't find at least a box of new ones ya adore.
- Plot's way better. Still ain't no masterpiece, but BW far exceeds the boring dribble of old games. There're actual side-characters in the game that have personalities, rather than just the protagonist and the antagonist's gruntastic team of villains.
- XY is right around the corner, and it's gonna be far more of a fresher and improved experience than BW is. That's a guarantee. If you're not buyin' BW1/2 for really cheap (half price or less), save it for XY. Better t' buy 3DS games rather than 1DS games anyways.
- Better plotstuff doesn't apply to BW2, 'specially if you don't buy 'n play BW1.
- Pokegames are still easy. Once you remember how type match-ups go, unless your entire team is a bunch'a Patrat ya probably won't be challenged very much... not until the end/post-game.
- No Magikarp 'til the post-game.
No, I was talking about buying X/Y. Finally moving away from the ancient tile-based movement is a long overdue step in the right direction.
Have there been improvements to speed up having to grind forever?
Looking at the new formula, the denominator also seems to have gotten smaller, which should mean that you get more EXP than in previous gens.
Also, a few more pros:
- TMs don't break
- As of XY, running is now default, and you hold B to walk
- Player character customization. Not sure on the specifics, but it may allow you to remove the goggles, since you apparently dislike them.
- Better graphics. Obviously...
- TMs don't break
The game asks you if you want to spray another Repel each time one wears off.