Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pokemon History

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7527 1826 6337 6464

Pokemon History

Needless to say, there's a lot of hype around pokemon right now, and I'm glad to see the next installment come so early in the 3ds life cycle already.
    A quick look at the progression of Pokemon? Yes i got that for you!

Splash_King likes this.

2. Ads

♦ goddamnitt sakurai ♦ Neosquid's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    Pokemon is one of the first three series I've ever played, and it's by far kept me the most interested. While I still like other games a lot, I just like Pokemon the most. I've explained before that its the large amount of cool creatures with many things to distinct them from one another. There's a lot of things to like, the only notable flaw I can think of is that the main series formula stays the same too much, resulting in games that are more similar to each other then they should be, along with a worse story. I still think Pokemon has more positives then negatives, and it's very doubtful that I'll ever lose interest.

The games just keep continuing to improve (although changing is an issue like I've said), and although I have mild concern for the future, I'm sure it'll be around for a long time.

Heil Pokemon!

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7527 1826 6337 6464
    Quote Originally Posted by Neosquid View Post
    Pokemon is one of the first three series I've ever played, and it's by far kept me the most interested. While I still like other games a lot, I just like Pokemon the most. I've explained before that its the large amount of cool creatures with many things to distinct them from one another. There's a lot of things to like, the only notable flaw I can think of is that the main series formula stays the same too much, resulting in games that are more similar to each other then they should be, along with a worse story. I still think Pokemon has more positives then negatives, and it's very doubtful that I'll ever lose interest.

The games just keep continuing to improve (although changing is an issue like I've said), and although I have mild concern for the future, I'm sure it'll be around for a long time.

Heil Pokemon!
    Well said, and not many franchises can say that each installment has been a successful advancement . Though some people (i feel ignorantly) say the series has gone down since the original 151, you still can't deny as a RPG game its one of the best around.
    Neosquid likes this.

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_yayo View Post
    you still can't deny as a RPG game its one of the best around.
    Ehhhhh, no... Even the Eldest Fishing Guru can't praise Pokemon that much. 'Least, not 'less it's the first two generations of retro goodness.

"One of the best RPGs" would have a notably good story as well, somethin' Pogeymanz clearly lacked 'till recent years...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Ehhhhh, no... Even the Eldest Fishing Guru can't praise Pokemon that much. 'Least, not 'less it's the first two generations of retro goodness.

"One of the best RPGs" would have a notably good story as well, somethin' Pogeymanz clearly lacked 'till recent years...
    Eh, it's a matter of opinion, and while I admit that Pokemon is indeed lacking in certain areas it's still one of my favorite RPG's.

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    No, it's not just a matter'a opinion. A game literally without plot falls quite short of bein' anywhere near the level of masterpiece. The best of games in general ain't complete without a good story, plain 'n simple.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_yayo View Post
    (i feel ignorantly)
    Understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_yayo
    you still can't deny as a RPG game its one of the best around.
    Above.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: Project X Zone, Etrian Odyssey IV.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    No, it's not just a matter'a opinion. A game literally without plot falls quite short of bein' anywhere near the level of masterpiece. The best of games in general ain't complete without a good story, plain 'n simple.
    I agree and disagree at the same time. I probably worded my last post badly. Personally Pokemon appeals to me to the point where it's one of my favorite RPG's ever, largely due to the large cast of 'playable' creatures. Contrary to what Assasin says, that's not "Quantity over quality", the games are of pretty high quality aside from story. The large amount of Pokemon and the many ways they can be customized make up (to an extent) for the below average story. So it's "Quantity over story", since the non-story quality is mostly fine.

It comes down to whether you prefer amount of playable characters (all of different species, which makes it more interesting) or story. I'm counting the lack of change in the main series formula as lack of good story. I think a lot of people would prefer story, while I personally like the huge amount of Pokemon.

It's true that I do prefer, for example, Xenoblade over every Pokemon game. This is due to the 3D gameplay and graphics, the huge world, awesome environments, great plot, and faster pace gameplay. Everything beat Pokemon except for the amount of 'playable characters', as I mentioned. Now let's look at FF6 (3 in America). I prefer Pokemon over that game because, even though FF6 had a much better plot, Pokemon was better in every other way in my opinion.

My point is that whether or not "it's one of the best RPGs around" is up to the opinion of the player. I personally think Pokemon is one of the best RPG's around, though it's true that I'm starting to get into 3D RPG's, which poses quite a threat to Pokemon due to better graphics and gameplay.

The best of games in general ain't complete without a good story, plain 'n simple.
    Yeah, Pokemon's not as good as it could be, I agree with that part. But even as it is I like it more then most other games.

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7527 1826 6337 6464
    The thing is, only handful of games, or RPG's for that matter have "masterpiece" plots, that make realistic sense. Xenogears, is a masterpiece, plot...are you kidding me??? zelda, considered and RPG, yet the plots to the timeline aren't even straight forward. Xenosaga, Chrono trigger, kingdom hearts, the list goes on.

If quality rpg = master piece plot, then 1) that's in the eye of the beholder, and 2) there truly are few good RPG's.

this according to splah king.

Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    To be fair, I can't think of a non open world RPG that doesn't have a better plot then Pokemon. By open world, I mean like "do whatever you want lol" RPG with no real plot besides game backstory.

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads