LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you think of the first gen?

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    No, not at all. Gen 1 is the second best Generation for the series solely from what a bloody brilliant game it was overall. Even when takin' away the fact that it's the beginning and therefore instawins for series innovation, t'was still a revolutionary video game as a whole and 'specially for handheld games. No Pokegame since has done so much for gaming, not even close, as all future mainstay games play it very safe and refuse t' experiment and innovate.

As such, one could argue that, on a literal scale of comparin' Pokegames without respecting their seniority, Gen 1 is actually better than Colosseum/XD and RSE. The former two are just poorly made games overall, whereas RSE doesn't have the charm all Pokemon games have in some amount; GSC and 'specially RGBY particularly exhibit this charm (and no, I don't mean nostalgia).

Quote Originally Posted by Espmaster_ View Post
    Gen 1 was a very flawed generation. Much of the praise for it goes to its concept, and its concept certainly was a great one. However, the developers took alot of easy ways out when designing the game, mostly because of it being rushed to the market.
    Absolutely false. RGBY wasn't rushed at all. The game was in development for many years, halted for a few due to dried up funds even. Nor did developers take "the easy way out". Implyin' Tajiri and his team didn't work immeasurably hard on Gen 1 is blatant slander.

Quote Originally Posted by Espmaster_ View Post
    This leads to weird gameplay mechanics (such as the critical/speed relationship and boxes needing to be manually changed) as well as a plethora of strange glitches.
    These "weird" gameplay mechanics aren't strange at all. The effect speed has on crit ratio was designed t' counterbalance bulky Pokemon and frail-but-speedy Pokemon. It makes perfect sense that a speedy Poke could more easily strike a slower foe's weak points. Manual box changing was likely just a programming limitation, as it was still a thing in GSC. If not, perhaps the developers' inexperience was t' blame. Either way, it definitely wasn't laziness.

The glitches are definitely a result of the team's vidya gaem programming inexperience. GSC, despite bein' released very quickly, had it's code cleaned up very well as well.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7463-2792-2066-1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Absolutely false. RGBY wasn't rushed at all. The game was in development for many years, halted for a few due to dried up funds even. Nor did developers take "the easy way out". Implyin' Tajiri and his team didn't work immeasurably hard on Gen 1 is blatant slander.
    I never meant that they didn't worked hard on the game. As for the game being rushed, I suppose my sources were incorrect, I'll make sure to get verification from several before acting like I know what I'm talking about next time. By "easy way out" I simply meant the loose way the game was coded, which worked fine most of the time but allowed the existence of all of the weird glitches. As for the whole crit ratio thing, your explanation makes sense, but it did sort of flip-flop the balance.
    Attachment 11127Attachment 11126

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    I don't get what ya mean by a "loose way" of programmin', but either way it's moreso a matter of poor programming overall. Tajiri 'n friends weren't the most experienced vidya gaem developers and therefore lacked some expertise. 'Sides, it's only natural there'd be numerous glitches as every game would have, worked on by veteran programmers or not.

Not to mention most'a the glitches are initiated by abusin' the limited way data is loaded or breakin' a sequence, things of that nature. It's almost impossible t' encounter 'em 'less you try. In that regard the game's code's stability is fine.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    First gen is worst gen [/anti nostalgiafag bias]

On a more serious note, I think it's a pretty cool generation. The games were pretty simple, perhaps too simple, but they were obviously the most revolutionary Pokemon games. You can try to deny that if you're stupid. Really stupid. The Pokemon designs themselves are good too, not my favorite, but still cool.

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

Ads