I know you can do 1 on 1 battles in SB but the spirit of it is suppose to be a 4 player party/fighting game. Not having a creatable fighter features does not downgrade SSB but it is a reason why I would choose another fighting game over it. Last time I checked melee had challenges not completely seperate and diverse minigames such as the newest MK. Your last part is based solely on opinions.
1. Using preexisting characters in a what if scenario does not make them unique its a old fanboy question and I have already seen this done on N64 and Gamecube and plenty of rippoff titles.
2. Functionalities? I dont care about the challenges or cloning of marios to beat up luigi.
3. Many other fighters are online or are going to be online so I should praise brawl for finally picking up this feature.
4. So can many other games DOA for example has survival, tag team, 1 on 1, and online.
5. Depends on the game I rather play powerstone wich has just as much free movement with interactive, changing, destructible, and useable enviroments.
6. Depends on your playstyle and interest in the game since I'm not a fan its a glorified chaotic button masher to me.
7. Once again preference and depends on the game I prefer Powerstone 2 stages over SMash brothers anyday (but SB stages are leaps and bound more interactive than your typical 1 on fighter).