Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteroids
    Hmmm.... Many sources say he is. He knows a lot about it, but it isn't in his place to say anything according to the crappy ign interview with him. Whatever.

I say it doesn't matter, but it isn't confirmed so I'm not holding my breath.
    A quote from smashboards:

"I really doubt that the team could stuff in online play if they weren't planning on including it. Their entire engine and architecture would not be designed with online play in mind. At worst, they would need to rewrite significant portions of the code to allow decent online performance, and that is certainly a likely possibility. If they have to redo portions of their underlying engine, then they would need to reimplement the various components of the architecture that depend on those aspects of the engine. It could get ugly, messy, and time-consuming. Besides, the team will certainly already have their hands full in the last few months of development and they won't have the resources to devote to it without having to significantly delay the game (and past the important holiday season).

Let me use an example: Halo PC/Halo:Custom Edition vs Halo 2. HPC has poor netcode, while the netcode for H2 runs the game very smoothly. Bungie released Halo as an offline Xbox title. Later, Microsoft contracted Gearbox Software to port Halo to the PC, resulting in Halo PC (and later Halo: Custom Edition). Gearbox had serious issues with implementing online play when they were developing the title. Why? None of the architecture was designed for working over a high-latency (online, non-LAN) network. They had to rewrite a lot of code to get it to function adequately, but even in the final product, online play is still buggy.

Gearbox President Randy Pitchford made a huge post on their forums addressing all the criticisms of Halo PC and why it was how was.

Regarding why the netcode was not as great as people would like it to be:
    "Halo PC netcode is what it is for a reason. It had to be the way it is and any experienced and capable networking programmer would've made similar conclusions."
    "As we got to the end of the project, I pushed hard. I wanted that same feel as the synched/deterministic LAN game on the Xbox. The engineers sat me down and told me the score, drew diagrams about the software architecture, the way the internet works and the challenges that they faced with the specification and they showed me why it had to be that way. The specification dictated the code and vice versa..."

Regarding how much effort it took to implement good networking code in a game not designed fo it:
    "...For the last several months, the Bungie and Microsoft guys were in it just as deep as the Gearbox guys were - writing code, prioritizing tasks, etc. It was a group effort and it was pretty hard-core, non-stop - even bonding, if you can call it that."

Brawl may not be simple enough to allow great code to be written:
    "Okay - Now lets compare to, say, Counter-Strike.
    Counter-Strike has only hit-scan weapons. There aren't big explosions that move things around (and when things aren't around, no one else needs to care about whether or not they are in the same place). When a Warthog moves, we MUST make sure that every client knows it's in the right spot. When a guy dies in Counter-Strike (even in CS Source, which has ragdoll), none of the clients care where the body falls. It's okay for it to be different for each client.
    So, they have a game design that keeps the problem from showing itself."

On the difficulty of building on top of pre-existing code
    "Halo's networking system was from scratch, first generation, developed in six months by three engineers and launched into a very competitive world of PC on-line gaming with a game design that is not condusive to the inherent problems of the internet. This networking system had to be meshed into an existing C code-base that had been evolved over 10 years of Bungie games until, in it's last usage, was completely overhauled, retuned and refitted with bubblegum, duct-tape and infinite sleepless work nights specifically for the Xbox platform (which was being invented while all of this refitting was going on)."

These are the real problems real developers face. I just don't think anything will change this late in the game, so we best hope it does have online, because the decision is already made."
    All that is based on the idea that Smash Bros Brawl wasn't originally intended for online play. However, proof 4 that Shoko provided says otherwise:

Quote Originally Posted by Shoko
    Proof #4-
    Quote:
    "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

Link to proof: http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomedmario
    yeah but for every single game, i think friend codes get annoying

i think it would be better if you had specific usernames kinda like mmo games

you get a code once you bvuy the pacake and register online
    Yes, but would that also have to take into account any specific Mii's that they use? Take for example the Everybody votes channel. Likewise, take Warioware SM multiplayer. Now if you want to play as your favourite character zoidberg, then anyone else who has that same Mii wouldn't be able to. Also minding the factor that Wii's are often played by many people in the house, and so they would have to have something other than a Wii specific "username".
    Last edited by Squall7; 07-23-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    6069-9016-3559-6279
    It isn't like hes demonstrating or really ever confirming the functionality.

Brawl Punching Bag

Chibi Asuka!!
    ------

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    I am going to sit through this and just say my piece, there is a great chance that it will be online as shoko showed with his evidence but we can't be 100% sure it's online untill it is confirmed, official by nintendo.

Yes, the evidence did pile up but that doesnt mean online is going to be included, it might only be ranked point system like how well you do in the game, with no online battling, all we can do is wait and see.

Member #
    Friends
    6069-9016-3559-6279
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.McCloud
    I am going to sit through this and just say my piece, there is a great chance that it will be online as shoko showed with his evidence but we can't be 100% sure it's online untill it is confirmed, official by nintendo.

Yes, the evidence did pile up but that doesnt mean online is going to be included, it might only be ranked point system like how well you do in the game, with no online battling, all we can do is wait and see.
    A ranking system is supposedly out of the question. Otherwise I agree with you. G'night!

Brawl Punching Bag

Chibi Asuka!!
    ------

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    OKAY E3 2006, nintnedo wanted online gmaes, the most obvious choice? ssbb, that's the sole reason why it's being created is to show off that nintendo is gonna do multiplayer, but since it was delayed so much they just gave that responsibility to pbr and soon to be msc

the mario that's roomed with mush
    my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteroids
    It isn't like hes demonstrating or really ever confirming the functionality.
    Hence me saying originally:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    @Shoko. I think you're right that they will be online in Brawl, as we haven't heard anything otherwise, however, those quotes seem like they're taken last year (recognising them from the E3 '06 cooldown period). Things can change whilst in development of games. Though I do feel that online would be a positive thing in this instance, although I'd want it to be completely flawless. And i think some of the common sense reasons are a bit farfetched. It's fair enough saying what it should be if Nintendo knows what's good for them, but in the end, only they know what online entails in the creation of Brawl. If it's not perfect, they may as well scrap it (or at least have a download for it later).
    We're not at polar opposites on this, I'm merely stating that there is a possibility of online play.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    Wasn't Metroid delayed, or was it Mario Party? Something... But people thought it was to include online play, but nooooooooooooooooooo, no online play. But yea, probably online play for SSBB.. hopefully.

360 GT: LostCelestial
    PSN ID: AerialSpirit

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    but the whole reason ssbb was created was for multiplayer....

the fact that it was delayed jsut shows that they had problems cause nintendo's new to online gaming(i think my theory prevails)

"My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

Link to proof: http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

i think that's good enough to say it's goin gto be online
    Last edited by mushroomedmario; 07-23-2007 at 06:39 AM.

my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

Member #
    Friends
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    I just want confirmation for it...

360 GT: LostCelestial
    PSN ID: AerialSpirit

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    we'll probably get that at the TGS

Ads