LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6760-4137-2833-7556
    I apologize for the lack of updates these past few days.. I will be adding some more articles soon!
    Last edited by naisatoh; 09-18-2007 at 04:57 AM.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    Just been reading the thread today, great work

Member #
    Friends
    6760-4137-2833-7556
    Today's update took me a little longer to complete than usual. Since the inspiration behind this stage was based on a Gamecube game, it was difficult for me to find relevant screen shots that fit the article. So I apologize in advance for the terrible quality of some of the photos. Not to mention, since I have never actually played Jungle Beat, I had a hard time figuring out where to look and what exactly I was looking for. With that said.. enjoy!

--Rumble Falls

As previously mentioned in Sakurai's official update, Rumble Falls is based on the look and feel of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, originally released for the Gamecube on December 16, 2004. As you may already know, Jungle Beat is a unique kind of platformer where the player uses a set of drums (called the DK Bongos) to control Donkey Kong's movement and actions. What sets it apart from other platformers is the emphasis on combos and style points which challenge the player to make full use of their DK Bongos as well as their sense of rhythm.

Rumble Falls is a vertically scrolling stage that plays similarly to Melee's Icicle Mountain. The stage as a whole is divided into three parts, each with its own set of obstacles and interactive design. Separately, these parts are based on individual stages from Jungle Beat, although the third part has yet to be fully revealed.

As the stage's title suggests, the first part of Rumble Falls is based on Jungle Beat's stage with the same name. In this stage, Donkey Kong must make his way up a series of waterfalls in order to reach the giant pineapple located at the top of the falls. To facilitate his climb, DK can use the bridges as trampolines that can launch him into different parts of the stage. Whether or not the bridges in Brawl will have the same effect has yet to be determined.

The second part of Rumble Falls begins at the top of the waterfall and continues moving up. At this point, the scenery changes into Jungle Beat's Sky Garden. Here, we can see giant vines reaching into the sky and holding up fragments of buildings and large chunks of land. It is still unclear from the picture how players will be climbing while the stage continues to scroll upwards. Some have speculated that the yellow airplane may play a part in this.

The third part of Rumble Falls has yet to be revealed, but we can still discuss the possibilities. Since we know the next part is even higher than the Sky Garden, we can look at a couple stages that take place in a similar setting. The Sweet Paradise (above left) takes place among the clouds and consists of ropes and large gelatinous blobs for DK to maneuver through. Meanwhile, the Asteroid Belt (above right) takes place in outer space as DK travels through a host of different rocky formations. It is entirely possible that both stages will make in appearance in Brawl, but we will just have to wait and see.

The final portion of this article looks at some of the elements that originate from earlier games in Donkey Kong's history. The first of these elements is the use of ladders to climb from one platform to the next. As many of us already know, ladders played an important role in the original Donkey Kong released by Nintendo in 1981. Here, Mario (then known as Jumpman) had to use the ladders to climb to the top of the level in order to defeat DK and rescue the damsel in distress.

The use of buttons made its debut in the loose sequel to the original Donkey Kong. Mario vs. Donkey Kong was released for the Game Boy Advance on May 24, 2004. In this game, Mario has to travel through a series of mazes to reclaim the stolen robotic "mini-Marios." This game introduced the concept of buttons that switched different platforms on and off. The purpose of these switches in Brawl are still unknown. But the clear absence of ladders in the first picture leads us to believe that the buttons may toggle the appearance of ladders throughout the stage.

References:
    http://www.ign.com
    http://www.gamefaqs.com
    http://www.wikipedia.org
    http://www.youtube.com
    Last edited by naisatoh; 09-21-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    3347-5827-8593-7298
    Very nice, although I'd have to say there are more than 3 parts to the stage: look at the first screen you posted. Notice that it starts about halfway up the waterfall whereas multiple pics show the stage at ground level.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6760-4137-2833-7556
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S.
    Very nice, although I'd have to say there are more than 3 parts to the stage: look at the first screen you posted. Notice that it starts about halfway up the waterfall whereas multiple pics show the stage at ground level.
    I definitely understand where you're coming from.. but I feel that anything that has the waterfall in the background comes from the Rumble Falls in Jungle Beat. Therefore, I would still classify the ground level in the same category as the area half way up the waterfall.
    Last edited by naisatoh; 09-21-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    3347-5827-8593-7298
    Hm, I suppose if that's how you're classifying different parts of the stage then you could be right...really makes you wonder how big this stage actually is though O_o

Spoiler Alert!

Wiichats Idiot Identifier balrogs.pa's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0588-9206-9468-1123
    Try to do one about MGS considering its vast history. it shouldnt be too rough of a challenge for someone like you ^.-
    Mario Kart DS 438194819390
    People i respect on this forum: Atomic,Santa Claws,Frogger,Cyan,Levesque, Balrogs.pain, Shoko, MushroomedMario, sremick
    I make my avatars/signatures!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Awesome job naisatoh! You rulz
    Keep up the good work, + rep!!

Riku 4 Brawl. KTHX!
    www.myspace.com/the_souless
    I'm such a myspace freak... XD
    SSBB friend code
    5069-3586-4611
    A D D M E ! !

Member #
    Friends
    3347-5827-8593-7298
    Quote Originally Posted by balrogs.pa
    Try to do one about MGS considering its vast history. it shouldnt be too rough of a challenge for someone like you ^.-
    Yeah, I've never played any MGS games, so hearing the original song(s?) would make me appreciate the new one a lot more. ^_^

Spoiler Alert!

Wiichats Idiot Identifier balrogs.pa's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0588-9206-9468-1123
    there fun. sadly only one is on gamecube (remake of the first)
    Mario Kart DS 438194819390
    People i respect on this forum: Atomic,Santa Claws,Frogger,Cyan,Levesque, Balrogs.pain, Shoko, MushroomedMario, sremick
    I make my avatars/signatures!

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Ads