Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2405-6575-0116-3326

Final Smashes = Final Disappointment?

So I can only imagine the amount of Hate that will be directed at me for even mentioning anything bad about SSBB, but something has been bugging me that I feel I should get off my chest.
    That something is how completely disappointed I am with the Final Smash moves of each character.
    I remember the joy and wonder when I saw the first video of Mario, Link, and a few other final smashes... but the more I've learned, and the more videos I've seen of them in action, the more I'm sure I won't even bother with them when I'm actually playing the game.
    Now don't get me wrong, there are some that are really interesting/fun/clever/effective. Like Samus's SHOOPDAWOOP and subsequent transformation to Zero Suit Samus. Same with
    Spoiler Alert!
    and
    Spoiler Alert!
    <-- not sure if this still counts as a spoiler

But now that the game has been released in Japan, I can't help but see the Final Smashes that seem... completely Lame
    I.e.
    Spoiler Alert!
    and ESPECIALLY
    Spoiler Alert!

And thats just the tip of the proverbial Iceberg, shredding the Titanic of how Excited I was about Final Smashes.
    And now I think that I'll just be going right back to -No item 4 stock FFA- like I did in SSBM...

It seems a damn shame, but the game mechanic seems like more of a slapstick distraction than an actual strategy or important part of gameplay...

prove me wrong?

!S

2. Ads

Just That Great Extra Life Mushroom's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3210-5733-2914-1432
    There's no need to prove anything to you dude. You don't like them, then don't use them. Problem solved.

I agree a lot of them were cloned.

WARNING: SPOILERS concerning Final Smashes Below!

..You've been warned!

Spoiler Alert!

There are a lot of great ideas implemented in the final smashes but alot of them were very uninspired in my opinion. Just like the clone characters of melee, we have cloned final smashes in Brawl.
    Although with subtle differences; just enough for someone to argue that they are original enough to be considered unique.
    Last edited by Extra Life Mushroom; 02-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    NiGHTS Friend code: 1633-3288-9171
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend code: 1633-3900-0312

Member #
    Friends
    yes... all i must say is Falco W___ And Fox... what a disappointment when it comes to final smashes . i was .. i was.... i was hurt.....

Member #
    Friends
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    It's your opinion. The game can't please everyone and no one can make a game where everyone will like everything about the game.

Dal
    Member #
    Friends
    8085-7630-2439-1842
    Everone has their ups and downs.....Just prepare for the Smash-freaks to flame you.

^Thanks Monsteroids^

Member #
    Friends
    4841-8322-0786-7773
    i agree but ya know what, its just another item.

Member of Ganondorf's Army
    SSBB CODE: 305072459278

Member #
    Friends
    8244-2285-2713-6668
    For me it is not a disappointment. Sure some of them might be cloned, only because ther character using them are clones. Even if you don't like them I'd suggest getting use to them if you're gonna play online with other people or offline with people who'd want to use it.
    I'm not sure what the expectation of final smashes were, do you wanted them all to have 1 hit k.o. attributes? I'm pretty sure the developers look at each character as a whole (their regular moveset, speed, etc.) when trying to make a final smash for them to not over power them. Because of that some final smash isn't as effective as other in certain situations.
    I'm looking forward to it though. It's like a super hammer :x

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMIAN
    yes... all i must say is Falco W___ And Fox... what a disappointment when it comes to final smashes . i was .. i was.... i was hurt.....
    Yeah but i mean you cant please anyone, and if you think about it, the people playing as falco or fox wouldnt play as the other guy. duh. its all fair.
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    2405-6575-0116-3326
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugia
    i agree but ya know what, its just another item.
    Exactly. When they were first introduced, to me it seemed like it would be a whole new dynamic to the Game, and instead its just an extra item.
    Its an item with unique attributes and animations for each character.. but still just an item.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect them to be end-all moves that obliterated everyone on stage and guaranteed an instant win, but I just don't see how they even plug into the combat of the scenario. Its like a combination star+hammer+Konami-code for 5 seconds, and then the game starts up again.

I dunno... Maybe I'll be surprised come March 9th, but all of the extra items they added to Melee didn't entice me, and it doesn't look like the Smash ball will either.

Any ideas on how Items will work in multiplayer? Say with a random challenger rather than with a friend.

!S

Member #
    Friends
    4841-8322-0786-7773
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevwen
    but I just don't see how they even plug into the combat of the scenario.
    hmm i didnt even think about it that much but it seems they dont. if they do its in the least context.

Member of Ganondorf's Army
    SSBB CODE: 305072459278

Ads