Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I feel vindicated.

I've been saying for a long time that SSBB is being overhyped and doesn't have the universal appeal that the fanatic fanboys claim it does. "No, it's not a fighting game!" "You just don't understand!" Whatever.

A friend of mine got it recently so I'm going to check it out this coming weekend, but so far the reaction from the people I know has been "meh".
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Exactly underneath the glitz of the nintendo characters it is a pretty average beat em up at best.

I wouldnt nessecarily call it a bad game but I wouldn't call it a essentail franchise either.

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimn
    I am already thinking about sending this back to Gamefly too. Pick a character and fight; win or lose what does it matter? Nothing online gives me credit for the win or loss for that matter. It is just kind of repetitive online with some characters seeming to have many advantages over others. This would be a cheaper way of buying as gamefly only wants $40 for me to keep it and I got this sent out on launch so I know it is brand new. Another reason to rent before I buy. Glad others are enjoying it though.

I have never played a smash Bros. game before this one.
    i've never even played online yet, and i think this is, by far, the greatest game i have ever played

I really can't see how anyone can not like this game, unless they suck at it and no longer want to play it

this game is just so packed with tons everything, how can you not like a single aspect of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk
    Exactly underneath the glitz of the nintendo characters it is a pretty average beat em up at best.

I wouldnt nessecarily call it a bad game but I wouldn't call it a essentail franchise either.

Seriously, you should re-think that. Smash bros series has unique fighting gameplay. In what other fighting game do you have to keep hitting an opponent until their percentage raises up, and then knock them out of the stage. I could go on and on how unique smash bros is as a series, but there would be too much to say.

read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_bros#Gameplay

Smash Bros.'s play controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games. While traditional fighting games such as Street Fighter or Soul Calibur require the player to memorize button-input combinations (sometimes lengthy and complicated, and often specific to a character), Smash Bros uses the same one-attack-button, one-control-stick-direction combinations to access all moves for all characters. Characters are not limited to constantly facing their opponent, but may run around freely. Smash Bros. also implements blocking and dodging mechanics, which can be used both on the ground and in the air. Grabbing and throwing other characters are also possible, allowing for a large variety of ways to attack.
    that's just one paragraph...read the whole link
    Last edited by mushroomedmario; 03-18-2008 at 10:29 AM.

the mario that's roomed with mush
    my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by wenied
    I rented SSBB yesterday and played for a few hours. The game has above average wii graphics and good gameplay, but I just found it boring.

I've already returned it, because I just didn't wanna play any more. I read all the reviews and everone seems to be amazed by it. Am I the only one who doesn't like it?
    No, you're definitely not the only one.

*shakes fist at SSBB in anger*

Smash Bros.'s play controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games. While traditional fighting games such as Street Fighter or Soul Calibur require the player to memorize button-input combinations (sometimes lengthy and complicated, and often specific to a character), Smash Bros uses the same one-attack-button, one-control-stick-direction combinations to access all moves for all characters.
    So this is how all matches go pretty much?

1. Spawn
    2. Start pressing the "one" button
    3. Win if you press it faster than your opponent

It may not be completely accurate (you'll have to go left and right and jump a few times), but that sounds pretty close with respect to pressing one button, yes?
    Last edited by Budo; 03-18-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    3896-5800-0118-9755
    The first time i played smash bros was at my friend's house seven years ago. the only reason i wanted the game was because it had Link in it.(I'm a Zelda fanatic)
    Then, I realized the greatness of the multiplayer gameplay.
    I loved the chaos going on in each stage.

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo
    No, you're definitely not the only one.

*shakes fist at SSBB in anger*

So this is how all matches go pretty much?

1. Spawn
    2. Start pressing the "one" button
    3. Win if you press it faster than your opponent

It may not be completely accurate (you'll have to go left and right and jump a few times), but that sounds pretty close with respect to pressing one button, yes?
    no, actually it's not accurate at all, that's more like street fighter or soul calibur,

the gameplay has tons of buttons to use, the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x

those buttons are still implemented in the game,

it's more like

1. spawn
    2. can't put in one sentence because there are too many possibilities
    3. whoever can land a good smash hit(which could be challenging since there is dodging and sheilding) once their opponent is at a high percentage might win
    (if their opponent doesn't make it back)

my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomedmario
    I really can't see how anyone can not like this game, unless they suck at it and no longer want to play it
    It's this mentality which is the problem I am talking about. Maybe they just don't like fighting games?

Fighting games don't have universal appeal, even if you think they're the greatest thing ever invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroomedmario
    no, actually it's not accurate at all, that's more like street fighter or soul calibur,

the gameplay has tons of buttons to use, the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x

those buttons are still implemented in the game,

it's more like

1. spawn
    2. can't put in one sentence because there are too many possibilities
    3. whoever can land a good smash hit(which could be challenging since there is dodging and sheilding) once their opponent is at a high percentage might win
    (if their opponent doesn't make it back)
    But Street Fighter uses more than one button. It even says, "controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games." I'm assuming they're using Street Fighter as one of the comparisons.

Is the Wiki article wrong then? You should probably go edit it if you have to press more than one button, because that's exactly what it says, per your quote.

Member #
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Friends
    Ok, well this is my very first SSB game and I have to say that in the begining I would have totally agreed with you, whats the point you hit, you smash you win you go on. But as I have played it steady since release there really is more to it than that. Yeah thats still the basic principal of the game and it can get boring if you let it, however if you take the time to really try out the different characters and modes you're gonna find there is so much more to it. Hell even switching from character to character and fighting thru classic on intense is by far one of the most challenging things I have run across in a game.

But anyway I hear where you are coming from and some people will love this game and some won't that's why we have a variety of games in the first place, so more power to you for at least taking the time to try it before making a decision about it, that's more than most people around here do.
    Ignorance is as ignorance does...

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

SSBB Friend Code 3609-0705-3564, PM me if you add me and please add me I want to play.

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo
    But Street Fighter uses more than one button. It even says, "controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games." I'm assuming they're using Street Fighter as one of the comparisons.

Is the Wiki article wrong then? You should probably go edit it if you have to press more than one button, because that's exactly what it says, per your quote.
    when you quote people, read what they have to say
    Quote Originally Posted by myself
    the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x
    that's what it means by simplified

Ads