Thread: Ssbb meta knight

The Scrubbiest of Kings Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    You've left me no choice. This should open your eyes.

As you can see, you can compare characters.
    Harr harr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    That is a lot of writing!
    It's what I do. x)

but, I still stand on my argument.
    Even though there might be some "even" match-ups, players still use the unorthodox to battle MK. A shift in common playstyle or common counter-pick can hamper a MK user, and it is that ability to adapt (either the MK or the other) is what separates the pros from the imitators.
    Being that your argument was Meta leaving the metagame via ban would upset it's "balance", you aren't really standing by it anymore. :P

Regardless of that, indeed, if either the MK pro or other pro player can adapt, that point is null and void.

Pros never use the "unorthodox", or, low tiers to play Meta either. Soon as you hit B tier and especially C tier, the matchups are more commonly going from a slight disadvantage to a decent sized one. In competitive Brawl, your aim in counterpicking is to choose the best matchup that you play well as, not the best matchup overall. Noone's going to counterpick Pikachu against Falco (Falco's worst match-up) if they don't know how to play Pikachu as an expert. This is why you see so many Snakes fighting Meta; their sub isn't Diddy or Falco (it's most likely Meta ¬_¬), and they play their Snake better than whatever other character they play that has a slight disadvantage or bigger, versus MK.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Oops i added more to my post on page 5. Did you see it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Pros never use the "unorthodox", or, low tiers to play Meta either. Soon as you hit B tier and especially C tier, the matchups are more commonly going from a slight disadvantage to a decent sized one. In competitive Brawl, your aim in counterpicking is to choose the best matchup that you play well as, not the best matchup overall. Noone's going to counterpick Pikachu against Falco (Falco's worst match-up) if they don't know how to play Pikachu as an expert. This is why you see so many Snakes fighting Meta; their sub isn't Diddy or Falco (it's most likely Meta ¬_¬), and they play their Snake better than whatever other character they play that has a slight disadvantage or bigger, versus MK.
    Try playing a Ganon against there MK
    The amatures do not see it coming.
    But the pros can easily take advantage of it. D:
    however if a meta can't adapt to a playstyle he has never seen, he looses

It's what I do. x)
    My opinion, (so to you it does not even matter), i think you are the best mod here.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 10-25-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Oops i added more to my post on page 5. Did you see it?

Try playing a Ganon against there MK
    The amatures do not see it coming.
    But the pros can easily take advantage of it. D:
    however if a meta can't adapt to a playstyle he has never seen, he looses
    Nah, I missed it. >_>;

I'm usually referring to legit players when I'm brawltalking, 'less I specify otherwise. N00bs are unpredictable and common knowledge doesn't usually apply to 'em, after all.

My opinion, (so to you it does not even matter), i think you are the best mod here.

Is it because I'm the only mod with extensive Brawl knowledge?

And of course there is Snake.
    And the number of Snake mains will increase.
    And he will be a worse problem than Meta Knight.
    Meta Knight kept Snake at bay,
    But now the flood gates are open!
    Again, the problem with Meta isn't his frequency in appearance, it's how absurdly good he is. Snake is great, but so is Flaco, Diddy, so on and so forth. If Snake's popularity suddenly absorbed Meta's, you'd see an increase of Marth usage. Marth increases in usage, you'll see more Diddy. And if Marth and Snake are both very popular, D3 might make a comeback. Flaco is already a very evenly-matched character with nigh everyone, so his usage will be a bit more if D3 does indeed make his comeback.

In short, the metagame becomes what it should be; an endless cycle of A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A. This cycle is instead replacing the previous metagame of M(eta) beats or is equal to EVERYTHING. Snake will never be a problem since Meta is 100% not his only counter, and Marth is his high-tier counter. In my opinion Snake is also just barely the second best Brawl character statistically, so if he won't be a problem, noone below him will.

Ok, the scale was a metaphor. Yes Meta Knight was an imbalance but some brawlers learned to adapt and even it out. With the removel of Meta Knight we just threw the metagame out of balance again. And when it balances out...
    it could be worse than before the ban.

META Knight, METAgame, METAphor lol
    Should of figured it was a metaphor... Sorry, I'm a bit derpy at the moment. >_>;

We're talking about character match-ups though, not the fact every legit pro can adapt to the situation.

The metagame never was in balance with MK apart of it, is my point. Might as well throw it out of balance by making everything random until the metagame stabilizes and balances itself, rather than keep it the broken type of unbalanced forever, yeah?
    Mr. MR likes this.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    i think we both thought this through well
    we will have to wait and see who is right in the end
    Splash_King likes this.

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    I was right in the fact that Meta is a broken piece of **** that should be banned, so I'm confident that I'll be right again. :P I'm a man who's experienced in metagameology (yes, that's not a real word), after all.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    I was right in the fact that Meta is a broken piece of **** that should be banned, so I'm confident that I'll be right again. :P I'm a man who's experienced in metagameology (yes, that's not a real word), after all.
    It should be a real word. Video games are overlooked by many.

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Video games are overlooked by many.
    Fuck, don't get me started on that. I'm one of those gamers who believes video games are a true work of art when they're at their finest.

Metagames do extend beyond competitive video games, though. TCGs have much more extensive and complicated metagames than say, Brawl or Street Fighter. Other head-to-head competitions have a metagame, but the science behind them ain't very explored.

I'll take UFC as a prime example. The rules in UFC are very loose and allow, as you should know if you know about UFC, any sort of fighting style. Grappling, grounding, kicking, the works are all allowed. Martial arts from around the world show up, and I can tell ya that certain martial arts work good against some, and poorly against others. The rock-paper-scissors mentality I explained via A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A applies to UFC in the same metagame sense, although to a lesser level. Even if the science behind official martial arts fighting match-ups was well known, it'd still come down to ultimately the grit and skill of every fighter. You could master ten martial arts from East to West and no matter what, a street fighter can still whoop your ass if you're a pussy in the ring.

/tangent
    Mr. MR likes this.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Fuck, don't get me started on that. I'm one of those gamers who believes video games are a true work of art when they're at their finest.

Metagames do extend beyond competitive video games, though. TCGs have much more extensive and complicated metagames than say, Brawl or Street Fighter. Other head-to-head competitions have a metagame, but the science behind them ain't very explored.

I'll take UFC as a prime example. The rules in UFC are very loose and allow, as you should know if you know about UFC, any sort of fighting style. Grappling, grounding, kicking, the works are all allowed. Martial arts from around the world show up, and I can tell ya that certain martial arts work good against some, and poorly against others. The rock-paper-scissors mentality I explained via A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A applies to UFC in the same metagame sense, although to a lesser level. Even if the science behind official martial arts fighting match-ups was well known, it'd still come down to ultimately the grit and skill of every fighter. You could master ten martial arts from East to West and no matter what, a street fighter can still whoop your ass if you're a pussy in the ring.

/tangent
    Spoken true,
    Don't get me started on the TCG metagame

Uhg Tangents, Cosine, Secant, Sine, Cosecant, Cotangent!
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 10-25-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Just because you have an opinion that MK is broken doesn't make it true
    Oh yeah, I went there.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: Etrian Odyssey IV, Shin Megami Tensei IV.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    Just because you have an opinion that MK is broken doesn't make it true
    Oh yeah, I went there.
    I don't base what I say on personal experience alone, I base it on both opinionated observations and factual evidence from research and evaluation from both myself, and people multiple times more experienced and qualified than ourselves to back my opinions.

Witty comebacks and finding grammatical and definition-related loopholes don't compete.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Ads