Ok here is my analysis of the possibilities for Fire Emblem roster in Smash 4.
As for spoilers go, it's been about a year since the game came out. So if you still haven't played the game *cough* Splash_King *cough* you could probably read it still because spoilers shouldn't matter now. However I will put a spoiler warning up in the parts that have spoilers (not the spoiler boxes).
As you all know the 3 characters from Fire Emblem that became a playable character in Smash and one that was an Assist Trophy:
Lyndis (Assist Trophy)
With the new Fire Emblem: Awakening a popular hit and the Brawl roster being small for a series with tons of memorable characters, it is a possibility that we will get a new Fire Emblem Smash rep or two.
So here is a list of the most popular Fire Emblem: Awakening characters.
Pole I got from some website:
This chart is probably not the most accurate because I doubt it had a lot of voters from Japan in it so I added this Pole from Japan.
So now for the analysis:
I find that the current Fire Emblem roster is lacking to represent some areas of the series such as an Axe user, a Lance user, a Tome user, a Bow user, Manaketes, and the current roster doesn't even rep the main idea of Fire Emblem, strategy (or the Strategist). The only problem is there is not enough room to represent them all, so that's why I am doing this.
Currently the only Fire Emblem character announced for Smash 4 and the oldest surviving character in Smash from his series. The very first Lord in Fire Emblem with several remakes. Probably the most important character to the series. Since he already is in the Smash 4 there is no reason to talk more about him.
Already in Smash 4.
The first Fire Emblem vet to be cut from a Smash game and the only one to be cut so far. Dispite his popularity and a Roy DLC in Awakening he has a couple points going against him:
1. Cut from Brawl. Probably the most important fact. Because he was cut in Brawl the flames of rage aren't as strong as they once were meaning that if he doesn't make it into Smash 4 there wont be too many people raging about it.
2. Clone Theory. Most people say Roy is a clone of Marth because of the similar appearance in everything. However because of this, Roy does not bring much to the table with a fresh new character that we could have. The untapped possibilities in Fire Emblem are quite a lot.
3. Too Old. Roy is probably on the edge of how far back Sakurai will go to get a new Fire Emblem character and with the newest game such a hit I feel Roy has become obsolete.
Points for him:
1. Forbidden 7. There is evidence in Brawl's data that he was considered for the game. Which could mean that maybe the developers haven't forgotten him yet.
2. Similarities to Marth. Because his animations were close to Marth it probably wont be as much of a hassle making him than making a character from scratch.
3. Still Popular. Since his Smash debut in Melee he has had a fan base in both the West and East dispite the lack of a translated FE:6 and with the Roy DLC it looks like he hasn't been forgotten by Nintendo just yet (although there were lots of DLC).
IMO Roy wont be in the Smash 4 because putting a new more popular character from a more recent game will cause small backlash and will create a more diverse Smash.
Probably the most popular Fire Emblem character ever has everything from a BFS to Spikey hair, everything you need to be a popular Anime/Video Game character. But enough of the parody, Ike is an awesome character despite his cliché appearance. He was the new addition to the Fire Emblem Smash Family in Brawl and he wasn't even the main character in the most recent Fire Emblem game at the time! Here are the points going for him:
1. Still Fresh. There isn't a Fire Emblem main character quite like Ike. He carries a 2 handed sword unlike the ones before him, Marth and Roy, which makes his playstyle unique and powerful.
2. Still Popular. As I said before Ike is still pretty popular and unlike Roy, Awakening nodded in Ike's direction more than once. His DLC is arguably the hardest of any Fire Emblem level (though I can't say it because I still need to get it) and in another Awakening DLC he was mentioned as one characters favorite character (obviously someone developing the game likes him). But if that isn't enough there is a character in Awakening that is one of Ike's descendants:
Kinda spoiler is not a story spoiler.
3. Still Relevant. Him getting in Brawl means that he was chosen over Micaiah who was the main character from the most recent game at the time, a female, and a tome user; three points which would have added more diversity to Smash. But instead Ike was chosen to represent the most recent Fire Emblem game and the console Fire Emblem games at the same time while still adding character diversity. As no new console Fire Emblem game has been made since, he still represents the last of the console Fire Emblem games.
Points against him:
1. Kinda Old. Not as old as Roy though.
IMO Ike is going to be in Smash 4 because everybody loves Ike.
She is in an interesting spot as a represented non-playble character in Brawl. She is the first Lord of the first Fire Emblem game officially translated and distributed to the west but not the first Fire Emblem Lords introduced to the west, that would be Marth and Roy.
Points for her:
1. Representation. She represents the first Fire Emblem game in the west, which is probably why she was an Assist Trophy.
2. Female. It does help. Jigglypuff has made it this far and with all the new Female characters being revealed for Smash 4 already. Speaking of that, I wonder if Female Villager will be a thing since there is a Male Wii Fit Trainer.
3. Still Popular. Speaks for itself, although not as much as Ike and Marth and maybe some Awakening Characters.
4. Unique Style. Even though it doesn't exactly represent a Fire Emblem element that should be represented in Smash like a different weapon, it is a different enough of a style to make a fresh and new character despite just using a Sword.
Points against her:
1. Better Female Choices. There are tons of popular female character in Fire Emblem. From the spear wielder, wife of Marth, and first Fire Emblem Princess Shiida to the more recent Tome Lord Micaiah to the even more recent and popular females in Awakening.
2. Never Playable. If she does not make it into Smash 4, there will not be an uproar because she was never playable in the first place.
3. Not Enough Representation. There are better choices for a character that would better represent Fire Emblem, such someone from the other 2/3 of the weapon triangle.
IMO Lyndis wont be in Smash 4 because there are better options.
Because the last Fire Emblem was so popular, I have almost no doubt that if a new Fire Emblem character is going to be in Smash 4 it will be from Awakening. With that said, in this next section, there will probably most likely be spoilers but I will warn you before going into story spoilers.
1. Like the Pokémon Trainer, Avatar represents the ideal of Fire Emblem, the Strategist.
2. Possibly both Male and Female like the Wii Fit Trainer
3. Tome users and Sword user
4. It's you, and apparently your popular in Japan. Congratz.
5. Unique Playstyle
Tiki (Minor Spoilers)
1. Female, Princess, Goddess (Like Zelda)
2. Represents Manaketes
3. Represents Awakening yet is also from the first Fire Emblem game and is important to both.
4. Popular in Japan
5. Unique Playstyle (Possible Zelda/Sheik Playstyle)
Walhart (Minor Spoilers)
2. Axe user, think Ganon with an Axe
3. Playstyle might take the place of the FE Tank Ike, but otherwise unique.
4. Popular in the Western Pole but not Popular in the Japanese Pole?
Chrom (Minor Spoilers I guess)
1. Newest Lord
2. Popular in both West and East
1. Playstyle could be too close to Marth (Marth descendant)
2. Could save character space by having him a Marth alt instead, but probably not.
1. Newest Lord
2. Female, Princess
3. Very Popular
1. Playstyle could be too close to Marth (Marth descendant)
2. Could save character space by having him a Marth alt instead, but probably not. But she did pretend to be Marth though.
(Fat Spoilers End)
So heres my list of most likely new Fire Emblem character to be added to Smash 4 from most likely to not as likely:
1. Robin (Avatar)
I am sure Ike will return, and I think Roy will not be returning.
Thanks for reading
3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572
Trying to motivate myself to play: Tales of the Abyss, Ocarina 3DS.