LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon
    ^this is what I mean by Nintendo has double standards they want to keep the game classic yet they change it???
    The game still plays exactly as it did on the NES all those years ago. It still has a 24 character password system which allows you to save your progress level by level, as it did all those years ago.

They simply changed the password generation table so that you can't just pop in some cheesy password you got from an FAQ and play the last level of the game, or start at the first level with all the items in the game.

Given that this is the internet age, I suspect people will start posting passwords for the game any time now, if you really don't want to play the game the way it was intended to be played, give it time. Someone will do the heavy lifting for you and you can completely miss the point of playing a game.

Honestly, I can see why they did it, it forces people to give the game a real try if they want to get anywhere in it. Had they left the old passwords active, a lot of people would have just put in a hacked password, beaten the final boss and been done with it...

But I also understand why this might upset some people...if I still had all my great passwords from almost 20 years ago, I'd want them to work.

They didn't change the game in any substantive way, in fact it gives the game something of a new start, sort of like when it originally came out. Not to get too geeky, but this is kinda cool in that if you want Kid Icarus "bragging rights" you're going to have to earn them.

In a way, this "unbreaks" the game. Being able to create any password you want from looking at the debugged ROM code sort of ruins the game...

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Prepare to gasp, as this player wins Kid Icarus in 30 mins!

http://speeddemosarchive.com/KidIcarus.html

Member #
    Friends
    I think it's good that the old passwords don't work or else I'd be tempted to use them
    Kirby is the best

Member #
    Friends
    4949-9295-5531-6706
    FINALY!!! I originally got my WII for the VC. I was looking online to see if I could find an original NES and after learning that I could get the old games on my WII I went with it! Kid Icarus is one of the games that I wanted to get!!!! Ahh...the memories....
    I can't wait to dive back into it!!!
    ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
    I will take this blame placed upon my shoulders...man I just love to feel like this...
    ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
    PLAY WITH MII?
    4949-9295-5531-6706

PM mii if you add mii so I can do the same on my side...

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by orionstar11
    FINALY!!! I originally got my WII for the VC. I was looking online to see if I could find an original NES and after learning that I could get the old games on my WII I went with it! Kid Icarus is one of the games that I wanted to get!!!! Ahh...the memories....
    I can't wait to dive back into it!!!
    Ok, since you're an oldtimer too...do you think Kid Icarus is as hard as people make it out to be?

Since I got it when I was 11 (and had plenty of gaming time) I've never thought it was overly difficult, although I still have nightmares about eggplants from time to time

Anyway, I've seen it described as "kick you in the teeth" hard, but I never thought it was...

Member #
    Friends
    4949-9295-5531-6706
    I can remember taking my entire 8bit NES system over to my grandma's to play. This was so cool...my cousin, 8 months older than myself, and I were hanging out in the same room as my Mother and her Mother...they were occupied doing their thing with their "old fashioned" card games while we had the latest in our own "virtual reality" machine. The spikes...I clearly recall standing on the spikes that rose out of the floor laughing as they took our life away while we said, in a very 11 year old way, "That's right up my alley!" Then we would giggle and jump into the pool of life and recharge our hearts and do it all over again...
    No. I don't think it was SO hard but it was challenging and I remember it taking awhile to complete it.
    I'm glad that the old passwords don't work. No I don't still have them but I can remember like six pages of passwords on graphpaper that my mom had written down very neatly because my handwriting wasn't (still isn't)the greatest and I didn't want to get it wrong because they were SO long.
    Look out for the eggplants my friends...look out...
    ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
    I will take this blame placed upon my shoulders...man I just love to feel like this...
    ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
    PLAY WITH MII?
    4949-9295-5531-6706

PM mii if you add mii so I can do the same on my side...

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by orionstar11
    I can remember taking my entire 8bit NES system over to my grandma's to play. This was so cool...my cousin, 8 months older than myself, and I were hanging out in the same room as my Mother and her Mother...they were occupied doing their thing with their "old fashioned" card games while we had the latest in our own "virtual reality" machine. The spikes...I clearly recall standing on the spikes that rose out of the floor laughing as they took our life away while we said, in a very 11 year old way, "That's right up my alley!" Then we would giggle and jump into the pool of life and recharge our hearts and do it all over again...
    No. I don't think it was SO hard but it was challenging and I remember it taking awhile to complete it.
    I'm glad that the old passwords don't work. No I don't still have them but I can remember like six pages of passwords on graphpaper that my mom had written down very neatly because my handwriting wasn't (still isn't)the greatest and I didn't want to get it wrong because they were SO long.
    Look out for the eggplants my friends...look out...

That's funny...and I'm also glad the old ones don't work. Gives everybody a chance to start the game new and puts everybody on equal ground.

I'm at the second dungeon...man is it hard to remember where everything is...especially when I'm trying to find the @#!$%&* hospital because I'm a walking eggplant.

Challenging is a good word. You definitely had to put in some time to get through the game, which is part of why I think I remember the game so fondly.

I remember nothing of the 8 or so hours it took me to beat Strider...some games are real throw-aways, others are classics...

Ads