LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Give the "no-name" games a chance, you never know, you might find something you might like. I'd never heard of Bonk's Adventure until it came out on VC, but I'm glad I downloaded it because it's top notch.

Ultimately Nintendo are never going to satisfy everyone. What you might consider another dull week might be exactly what I always wanted, or vice versa. I do agree they should at least give us release dates though, it's rather annoying just seeing a release date of "2007" for a game which could be out tomorrow or not for months.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    Give the "no-name" games a chance, you never know, you might find something you might like. I'd never heard of Bonk's Adventure until it came out on VC, but I'm glad I downloaded it because it's top notch
    Dude, I'm sorry, but Bonk's Adventure is not a no-name game. It was the flagship game for TurboGrafx...the Mario of the system.

Plus, if you read my first post, I said that I gave some of the no-name games a chance...and there's a reason most of them are no-name.
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called "wicked" guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas, and he didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget. But the point is... well, I forget that too. Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowTRobot
    Dude, I'm sorry, but Bonk's Adventure is not a no-name game. It was the flagship game for TurboGrafx...the Mario of the system.

Plus, if you read my first post, I said that I gave some of the no-name games a chance...and there's a reason most of them are no-name.
    Bad example, but the point is that just because you've never heard of a particular game doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't bother releasing it. Someone else might consider it the greatest game ever made. Yes, of course it would be nice if they'd release good titles each week, but the problem is "good" is a subjective term.

@ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    4287-9909-4049-1336
    Bad example, but the point is that just because you've never heard of a particular game doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't bother releasing it. Someone else might consider it the greatest game ever made. Yes, of course it would be nice if they'd release good titles each week, but the problem is "good" is a subjective term.
    Exactly, and don't you think it is also good for them to be able to say they have (a a butt'load of games in their library, and (b that they have an entire back-catalog!
    Add me for Wii! PM me if you do.

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by frontsidefish
    Exactly, and don't you think it is also good for them to be able to say they have (a a butt'load of games in their library, and (b that they have an entire back-catalog!
    I'd love it if they released the entire back-catalogue of Sega and Ninty games too, but realistically it's not gonna happen.

Member #
    Friends
    but the problem is "good" is a subjective term.
    I know...I said that.
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called "wicked" guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas, and he didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget. But the point is... well, I forget that too. Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"

...it gonna be zoppity tarheelsuperman's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowTRobot
    Thanks for the compliments and comments. I was just tired of all of the OMG VC SUCKS/YOU SUCK VC RULES! threads. I thought this would be an outlet for civilized discussion.
    You know that is exactly why I chose to responds to your post. I am so tired of the unsupported rants of Nintendo screwed us, F Nintendo, VC Sucks, etc. Your post was the first one I've read with any substance behind it.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion as to which games are classic and/or good. I think a classic example of this would be Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. I don't think I've ever seen a game more polarizing than that one.

All this to say, I agree that AT FIRST this was a good strategy. Keep the public guessing, constantly checking for updates, etc...But you can only dangle the carrot in front of the horse for so long before he stops walking. (do you like all of these random examples I'm using?)
    What's the old saying...You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time. This is rings true with the VC releases. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I agree that you have to give the horse a bite to keep him going . IMO the way Nintendo should do this is to give the VC a solid Nintendo series (Mario,Zelda,Metriod,Castelvania,etc) title weekly. Games that the majority of us have at least heard of. Games that would create buzz with the majority of the Wii owners. I'm sure there are at least 52 quality titles (out of the over 2500+ titles from the 5 systems) that would produce a years worth of great VC releases. They could further that by letting us know which ones are coming in which month. Breaking it down by month would still leave us guessing which one is being dropped each week of that month keeping some of the surprise intact. Now couple this Nintendo title with whatever other two games they want to introduce and I think the VC wouldn't be such a complaint target.

Plus, even if you want to explore old games you've never played/heard of before, you need to spend at least $10 (to get the points) for a $5 game. The entire point system seems arbitrary. Why not offer 500, 800, and 1,000 point cards?
    You know you are absolutely right on this one. The way you are forced into specific increments is absurd. I think they should offer a purchasing system where you can add up from 500 points in 100 point increments. So ultimately if you knew you were going to purchase 3 SNES and 2 NES games you would create your 3400 points card an then purchase it. No waste. Although I'm sur e Nintendo is just trying to make more money using the current system, b/c essentially if you want to buy only one SNES game the way it stands right now Nintendo is making $2 additional dollars on the purchase. Plus if someone can't stand that 200 points hanging around they would have to buy more points to get another game to not waste those points. I think this points system is wrong.

I'd be interested to see how many copies of these obscure games are being sold.
    I would love to just see the overall breakdown of games not just the obscure ones. They reported 1.5 Mil in VC Sales back at the end of January. It would be nice to know how that breaks out.

Thanks for the educated thread, its refreshing for a change.

Member #
    Friends
    3837-2192-5814-2429
    I would like to thank you for making this a great way to intelligently discuss and exchange views on the virtual console.

Personally, I think it's great, but like everyone there are a few games I'm itching to get my mitts on (Donkey Kong 2,3 or 64, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Demon's Crest, Super Mario RPG etc. etc.) I agree that it stinks waiting around for it, but I really don't mind enough to warrant any kind of complaint. Also, I kind of like seeing a lot of these "no-name" games come out. I know I'm not in the majority there, but I have a great passion for trying new games. I know alot of them are meant to be unheard of, but there are a few out there that are gems waiting to be played again.

Thanks again for a great thread, I'm sure I'll be back to chat here again.
    Tylor.

Member #
    Friends
    5935-0595-2673-3600
    According to the VC servers Elavator Action has been downloaded 700,562 times in North America.... Yes the game is crap but a $5 (I believe) each. Thats alot of money. No one (or very little) would of bought that game if N64 games had also come out that week. Now I don't agree with Nintendo only releasing 1 game this week but oh well. They may be planning to release something else this week thats even better. We'll just have to wait & see.

Member #
    Friends
    Would somebody mind providing a link to the VC server information?

700,000 copies of Elevator Action? If that's true, it really makes you wonder why video games don't get as much media attention as music and movies. A game that's over 20 years old did better than the most band's record sales.

Good posts people!

Ads