+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MarioKart is Wiisistance MIDIevil's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0695-5263-8001-1456

problem w/super mario bros. 1

last night my girlfriend beat smb1 for the first time since download. now when you start a new game, all the goombas are replaced with buzzy beetles, severely ramping up the difficulty on what we purchased as a casual game.

i seem to remember (been awhile) this is just what the game normally does when you beat it, but whereas on the nes you could just reset the system to bring back the goombas, the vc suspends play rather than completely resetting the software. in fact, when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain.

this is unacceptable! it's fun if you're looking for a challenge, but like i said, we got this one for casual, nostalgia-based play, and what i'm looking for is a way to set this thing back to its original state.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Try copying it off to your SD card and then back to your main memory.

Grand Master of Funk sherlocktheholmes's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    If I understand how the VC works correctly, you can delete the game and go back to re-download it through Wii Shop. Wii Shop remembers what games you downloaded and will let you download it again (only on the same Wii of course). This should work, and it is probably the only way you can "reset" a game right now. Definitely is kind of a hassle to have to do this though, and Nintendo should have thought of including a reset function without having to delete and re-download the game...

Member #
    Friends
    There's a simpler way to reset it- just switch off the console while playing the game (i.e. don't quit to the main menu).

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    1397-0239-2531-7162
    You could also just hit the reset button.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlocktheholmes
    If I understand how the VC works correctly, you can delete the game and go back to re-download it through Wii Shop. Wii Shop remembers what games you downloaded and will let you download it again (only on the same Wii of course). This should work, and it is probably the only way you can "reset" a game right now. Definitely is kind of a hassle to have to do this though, and Nintendo should have thought of including a reset function without having to delete and re-download the game...
    I think thats a good idea.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    5935-0595-2673-3600
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlocktheholmes
    Just shut it off while your playing SMB. (Pull the power plug out) It'll reset it.

Member #
    Friends
    There is a reset - if you hit the home button while playing a vc game this is a reset button next to the wii menu button.

MarioKart is Wiisistance MIDIevil's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0695-5263-8001-1456
    let me repeat: "when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain."

this has been done using the reset on the home button menu AND the system reset button on the front of the wii, with the same results. the only things i've not yet tried are pulling the plug (which i haven't done since setting up my wireless connection, and was hoping not to have to do) and deleting/re-downloading the game (which i'm about to try, crossing fingers...), both of which sound a little iffy, though i'm sure you follks know what you're talking about. thx folx.

Member #
    Friends
    5935-0595-2673-3600
    Unplugging the Wii wont affect your internet settings. I unplugged my Wii all the time. (Internet Channel Trial crashes)

Ads