LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 71 to 79 of 79
  1. #71
    wormus maximus Earthworm Jim's Avatar
    Member #
    21288
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh,NC
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0806-9488-0395-2638
    Quote Originally Posted by gamechaser001
    Put it this way, let's say I go to blockbuster, look on the shelf and say "hmm...I like this game/movie, I guess i'll take it", and I walk out of blockbuster with the game/movie without checking out, i'm still going to return it, but I just didn't check out, well, I may be returning it, but that dosen't make it legal not to pay for a rental, so even though i'm going to return it, i'm still stealing it

    so what if i rent a game from blockbuster take it home copy it and take it back.

  2. #72
    wormus maximus Earthworm Jim's Avatar
    Member #
    21288
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh,NC
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0806-9488-0395-2638
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont
    hum i am going to do some research on this... because you have made me rethink my reasoning that does not happen often because if you are correct then i will shut it haha. I still will buy the vc games because i dont mind paying the small amount of money, but i wont call it stealing if people use emulators on their wii or computer.

    yeah you need to research "Fair Use"

  3. #73
    Audentes fortuna iuvat Wiinter's Avatar
    Member #
    22193
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    738
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthworm Jim
    yeah you need to research "Fair Use"
    Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

    As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.

    There was a recent Roms exception to the DMCA ruled on by some regulatory agency that made them legal to have in some cases, for archival purposes, but the very presence of a system like Wii that allows those games to be played nixes the archival exception (you can keep roms for archival purposes when the hardware necessary to play them is no longer reasonably available).

    MOHH2: AoW fortunz
    xfire: fortunzfavor


    I am mianmini at IGN. fortunzfavor [at] netzero [dot] net

  4. #74
    Wii Nerd gamechaser001's Avatar
    Member #
    7118
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    432
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthworm Jim
    so what if i rent a game from blockbuster take it home copy it and take it back.
    I admit, I do that myself, but that too is aginst the law, it is only legal to copy something IF YOU OWN that property, for example, if i bought a DVD movie and wanted to copy it for personal use, like I want to make a backup so I don't scratch the original, that is legal, if you copy a DVD/CD and give it to a friend, that too is illegal, now if you make a family video (recording of vacations or other personal things), and you copy it and give it to friends, well, you made it, so it's legal, but did you make that game/movie you took? Nope

    It isn't too hard to understand, if you don't know if something is legal or not, just google it


    No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

    If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

  5. #75
    ciper's Avatar
    Member #
    22965
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    ▐▄█▀█▄▌
    Posts
    2,008
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthworm Jim
    so what if i rent a game from blockbuster take it home copy it and take it back.
    You're doing it wrong. It's called GameFly

  6. #76
    WiiChat Member Belmont's Avatar
    Member #
    14916
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Murray Kentucky
    Posts
    460
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8288-8038-4521-3885
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiinter
    Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

    As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.

    There was a recent Roms exception to the DMCA ruled on by some regulatory agency that made them legal to have in some cases, for archival purposes, but the very presence of a system like Wii that allows those games to be played nixes the archival exception (you can keep roms for archival purposes when the hardware necessary to play them is no longer reasonably available).
    Thats what i thought thats why i stopped using roms when the wii came out because they could be purchased and played on a system that still works reliably. Now that the games can be sold to the masses and played easily then there is no reason to use a rom and no reason for it to be legal.

    I guess to be fair you could say that games that are not available to download for the VC can still be emulated but once they come out it is illegal to use that rom.

  7. #77
    Wii Nerd gamechaser001's Avatar
    Member #
    7118
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    432
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by miiguy
    Furry Muff, you got me. I'll hand myself into the authoroties as soon as possible. (if that was your point?)

    I'm very aware what I do is illegal, my point is I don't care, as I already paid the full price for all the games I have on my emulator, granted that might have been 10-15 years ago, but they had my money. I just make up a lame ass excuse to amuse, but some people seem to think I'm serious

    If people want to pay for VC go for it, knock yourself out.
    Me personally in life see "free" as a great word
    That is what I mean to a point, but you don't have to turn yourself in, personally, I have an R4 for my DS and download ROMS to play on my DS, so yes, I myself do my share of obtaining pirated material

    You are right, free is a great word, as a matter of fact my favorite computer software is bit torrent, which is basically a gateway to pirating (let's hope "The_Loose_Cannon" dosen't see this, lol), i'm just not willing to risk to lose something because of an action I did, for example, I don't want to chip my Wii becasue I heard the Nintendo bricks Wiis with modchips, and i don't want that to happen, I don't want to put the work into forming a working Wii channel emulator/ROM on my Wii when I could risk losing my Wii altogether, so I pay the $5~$10 for a gameon VC
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    You're doing it wrong. It's called GameFly
    It dosen't matter where you get the game/movie, he is not wrong, he is just using a different company

    Blockbuster, Family Video, Gamefly, some local rental places, some other video and game online rental has games you can rent, what we ment about is if you take something and you don't pay for it, even though you are going to return it, dosen't mean it's not theft, quite the contrary as a matter of fact


    What Nintendo should do is somehow create a channel shell where, as long as it's somehow paid for (or not paid for with some hack), the games that can't make it to the VC can be somehow obtainable and legally used on the Wii, it would be hard, but if a way is found out, everybody's happy, except for the people who demand it free, then, good luck, I don't know and don't want to know


    No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

    If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

  8. #78
    ciper's Avatar
    Member #
    22965
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    ▐▄█▀█▄▌
    Posts
    2,008
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    The biggest farkup so far is how Nintendo designed the Wii. Right now thieves benefit most because the homebrew people can't figure out how to get code running in Wii mode. They have to develop everything in the limited GC environment. Even with the limitation some pretty amazing apps are being writting like a port of quake and even a DVD player!

    The average age of this board is in the mid teens and that is why there is so much hostility towards a mod chip. They can't seem to understand that you are not automatically a pirate once one is installed. If someone pushes me on this issue I have a picture of my PS2 game collection to share, all of which are retail purchased games even though my PS2 is modified with a chip and an HD.

    Once th GC only problem is overcome expect to see many more cool apps for the Wii.

  9. #79
    wormus maximus Earthworm Jim's Avatar
    Member #
    21288
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh,NC
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0806-9488-0395-2638
    [QUOTE=Wiinter]Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

    As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.
    [QUOTE]

    your only breaking the DMCA if the cd has copy protection and you circumvent it and now the big record labels have learned that DRM'd CDS wont fly. i havent bought a DRM'd Cd ever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts